The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#122479 - 07/19/07 03:31 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gerrbeck, I remember those days when the kids were all here. I know it can be an intense time because you are trying to instill everything in them before they leave, but just be sure to make the most of them because they'll be gone before you know it! Sigh...

Our youngest son is only 18, soon to be 19 and he's been in school in Florida since September. We've seen him off and on, but this is our longest stretch without seeing him. It's hard. We won't see him until September. It will be three months without laying eyes on him which is hard considering he was living here every day this time last year. Fortunately, we talk by cell a lot. We also use email.

Love the heck out of them while they are still around.

#122480 - 06/03/08 01:43 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Well, I just this morning started to walk alone. Only for about a mile. But I have not walked in 10 years!

After awakening feeling stiff, I popped out of bed, got my long sleeved shirt/hat/sunglasses and Z-coils and did it! Only for about 1/2....but it already feels good!

How do other walkers carry their water bottles? Is there some kind of holder available?

#122481 - 06/03/08 04:00 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, I'm so glad to hear this. Walking is such good exercise. I'm sure you're gonna love getting back in to it.

I don't carry a water bottle. I just gulp it down when I get home. I think there are belts you can buy that hold water bottles.

What are Z-coils?

#122482 - 06/03/08 04:44 PM Re: I'm Walking
Di Offline

http://zcoils.com/

I talked about them before. My back usually aches just wearing sneakers. But THESE are wonderful. A nice "bounce" on the pavement is really good for your back. Now that our roads have been paved in the last 1 1/2 years..we have freedom! But the stray dogs don't help.

Also, Dotsie........do you do any activity with your arms at all? I'm trying to swing, twist, bend them to get upper body moving as well.

#122483 - 06/04/08 12:35 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
Di Offline

Did two miles today! Brought a bottle of water and a stick to fend off the stray dogs.

What does everyone else take along on their walks??

#122484 - 06/04/08 12:43 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a headset that is a radio. I play the oldies station and beebop my way for 30-35 minutes. I have some weights that I could use on my ankles or wrists, but I usually don't.

#122485 - 06/04/08 12:53 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I use hand weights...started with 1 pound because I heard that using weights would keep your hands from swelling...and they do...I'm up to 5 pounds now and do arm exercises while I walk...

I find that leg weights bother me so I usually just wear them at home for a little resistence when I'm doing my normal stuff.

#122486 - 06/04/08 01:03 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Di Offline

Yeah, I want a headset with a radio! I love listening to NPR in the mornings but I used to lay in bed doing that and now miss it!

Re: Hand weights. As I walked the morning holding my stick and bottle, it became uncomfortable with my hands "grasping" something. So a weight might be good. I'll check things out.

I also need a water bottle holder!

Edited to add: DH just told me he does not want me to have a radio. He wants me to listen for cars instead. (We have no sidewalks) Oh well.....guess I'll hum to myself!

Edited by Di (06/04/08 01:53 PM)

#122487 - 06/04/08 02:11 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I take my husband and black lab. Most days we walk for 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes at night. That varies sometimes depending on how far or where we walk. Usually we walk on the south side of the county park. The north side takes longer. Love walking. Been walking regularly since
1996. Good luck all.
Di,
I saw people wearing those Zcoils the last time I was in Florida. They're all the rage down there.

#122488 - 06/04/08 02:18 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

They help my back tremendously. It's old and tired and overworked.

Wish I could take a dog or three!! LOL!! But with the strays it would not be fun.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved