The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#122509 - 07/27/08 03:08 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Though most of these women do cycle, some also do fitness walking.

Several are boomers in this thread, have grown adult children or teenagers.
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=24103

#122510 - 07/28/08 02:21 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for the link. It's neat to hear what others are doing for exercise at this stage of the game. I'd love to do waht one of the gals mentioned in her post and that's walk and then run a teeny bit, then walk and run a teeny bit. I need to soemthing a little different before I get bored.

We wlaked at 8:00 this monring instead of 7:00 and boy what a idfference. Tomorrow, we're back to 7:00. Way too much activity and traffic in comparison.

#122511 - 07/28/08 09:00 PM Re: I'm Walking
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats great JackieG, and welcome... Sorry it took so long to answer you.

Dotsie, my poor thermostst rarely gets to rest between late May and Early September, then when you all are freezing your patoots off, its sunny here and in the 70's. Love the fall and winter months and spring too actually...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#122512 - 08/02/08 11:23 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: chatty lady]
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hi Everyone!

As I'm still finding my way around this excellent forum and meeting area, I've just been able to read some of the walking threads.

I am so excited to see people recovering and embracing this excellent exercise base.

It is an essential route to detoxification of the body (the movement of the lymph, particularly with regards to the activity of the calf muscle, the "heart" of the lymph).

The effects of walking on stress management are huge, too - it is an excellent way to offset the effects of stress hormones by circulating them OUT with the activity (see my "detox" notes above).

Also, walking allows for easy, rambling pleasure.

And another thing - regular walking keeps your body used to being an "active animal"...excellent advantage for longterm fitness.

I also see references to weight and walking. True, regular walking can have a weight managing effect; however, if there are more challenges with weight gain, there are two esstials to consider:

1) muscle mass decline contributes most to weight gain. We simply get less active (most of us) as we move through life, and it is the #1 challenge to body composition. To maintain that mass, you need some challenges to the musculature, especially the muscles through the core and the back. At the same time, the prime mover muscles (think of the big muscles on your extremities), will keep your metabolic fires burning, when they are kept dense.

There are lots of ways to do this. An excellent solution for women who want to keep inflammation down and protect their joints, while "working out" in a low-maintenance fashion (it doesn't take a whole lot of time because of its comprehensive nature) is the T-Tapp Wellness Workout. It has built in comprehensiveness and intervals, which are great for maintaining muscle density.

There are other avenues to muscle, the most obvious probably being weight training, though care must be taken with joint protection.

As for hormones - yes, menopause is a time when our bodies are doing their best to equalize the estrogens and we tend to deposit more fat around the belly at this time because this is the bodyfat that is an "estrogen factory".

I figure our bodies are always doing something for a reason - it is not out to frustrate us our make us wonder about our waist size! We can work with the body to move through these times.

When I went through menopause, I experienced a moderate weight gain that I allowed myself to move right through the middle of. It came on fast, so I knew it was hormonal, and at the same time knew I needed to be consistent and nurturing to my body to get out the other side of it unscathed. That meant a little less eat cheat, consistency of movement (without brutal workouts - that's a fitness byline!)...to give you an idea.

I'm happy to be a resource to everyone here - it is my specialty to work with midlife (I call it primetime, yes?) women who are desirous of moving their fitness - and their lives - forward, into through and beyond this time.

Warmly,
Lani

#156593 - 08/16/08 09:08 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Lani]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lani, I've walked through my peri-menopause like a nut and am heavier than I've ever been. URG! Any suggestions? I walk fast and for almost an hour at least 4 times a week with a friend. I think my problem is that I like to eat too much.

#156615 - 08/16/08 02:24 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, I played racquetball 3 times a week for a year and never lost an ounce. I'm sure my heart/lung health was better for it, but it didn't do anything for my body. It was when I started lifting weights that I really noticed a difference. Have you tried weight training?

K

PS: That was 10 years ago, and now I'm trying to convince myself to do the weights again. Maybe I'll head over to the gym right now!

#156663 - 08/17/08 12:55 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I walk everyday when weather permits, and have done so for years! I have gone to curves for many years also, but recently have quit because I wasn't enjoying it anymore nor was I loosing anymore inches. When I hit age 50 a few years back I had gained 12 pounds and I hadn't changed anything ...eating or exercise habits. frown I went to the doctor and had some tests ran and they all came back fine. My doctor said I was not overweight but the weight gain was just my age working against me, and it happens to men too. The doctor also told me our metabolism slows down when we get older. If I wanted to lose weight I must exercise more and eat less calories. Well, duh.....who doesn't already know that!! I am not TOO obsessed about my weight gain, but I do feel sluggish and thick from the extra weight I am carrying around. I have started to do some simple weight lifting routines that I can do at home. I am already feeling stronger and have lost 2 pounds! Yeah!

#156689 - 08/17/08 07:05 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Cookie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've read that about curves... that once you meet a certain level, it fails to do any more good, other than maintenance. But, for many, it is a great way to exercise. I've thought about getting our equipment out of storage and setting up a circular training system. I'd be stepping outside often, because we truly don't have enough clear space. My youngest daughter loaned me her treadmill. I think I'm gonna like it, because I can read while I walk.

From what I understand, cookie, we can eat as much, and more, regardless of our age, if we eat smart. Getting there is the hard part... letting go of the favorite processed foods (for me, breads - I had a toasted sesame bagel this week that was to die for!) is quite difficult.

#159461 - 09/10/08 08:35 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gims]
JackieG Offline

Ya'll are motivating me - I was walking with my niece every morning, but our schedules started to conflict so I have stopped temporarily, need to get out there by myself, it's just not as much fun - I know I can walk in place inside, but I seem to enjoy the fresh air of being outside better - I am a nature gal -love the outdoors...

#160088 - 09/17/08 01:11 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: JackieG]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Hi girls,
It's recently been proven that being fit is more important than being overweight.I know I don't like the midlife weight gain any more than anyone but the take away message is--KEEP Walking or doing whatever form of exercise you like to do. It's cardio-protective, cancer preventive, and keeps the mind working the way it should.
I have recently found a product I feel safe to recommend to my clients--the first weight loss accelerator I've ever recommended because of who developed it and the science available to anyone interested about how and why it works. I'm not here to sell anything but if anyone is interested in looking into this supp just PM me.
Most important tho, walk, dance, run, row, lift--just do something everyday to move your body.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved