The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#122469 - 07/01/07 06:29 PM I'm Walking
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Like I said in another post, I was finally motivated to get back to my walking. Over the past several weeks I have been getting out with my husband taking leisurely walks, doc said it would be good for him after his recent surgeries, etc.
But after buying a swimsuit and a day at the beach last week, boy did I get motivated. Last night I got out the walkman, plugged in and went for a good 40 minute power walk. It felt great, fresh air, exercise and some good tunes! Heard a really good one I hadn't heard in a while,
Bette Midler, From A Distance, what a beautiful song.
gerrbeck

#122470 - 07/02/07 10:30 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gerrbeck, I'm also a walker, but I walk with a friend. I haven't put on a bathing suit yet this summer, but will be doing so in a couple weeks. I can hardly wait! HA! I bet if I put the dang thing on and walked around the house in it for a few days, I might start walking and never come back for hours. I don't even think that would make a difference at this point.

Keep on trucking.

Oh, and I love that song. I haven't heard it in ages.

#122471 - 07/04/07 01:46 PM Re: I'm Walking
gerrbeck Offline

Dotsie, Happy 4th to you and all the other ladies!
While out walking one evening this week, I was attacked by a couple of mockingbirds! I guess they had a nest in a nearby bush and made it very clear they didn't want anyone disturbing it. Going to steer clear of that side of the street for a while. The next evening it was dogs, not mean dogs, just dogs out with their owners who wanted to be pet, maybe they smelled my dog on me when I passed? Hmmm, what's in store for tonight? My best friend Maggie is coming over (the one with the grandkids), we're going to swim, and probably eat alot, hot dogs, slaw, watermelon, deviled eggs, beans, brownies and fruit......pause.....It's pouring down rain out there now! Supposed to get that off and on today!
We'll make the best of it! Just looking forward to spending time with her and the kids. Going to go for a good walk this evening to walk off all that good food.
Have a great day everyone, must go get busy.
gerrbeck

#122472 - 07/05/07 02:51 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gerrbeck, your 4th food sounds very similar to ours...but I didn't walk after eating all of it, not did I walk this morning. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Where do you swim? Do you have a pool? Ahhh, when can I come over?

#122473 - 07/05/07 07:37 PM Re: I'm Walking
gerrbeck Offline

Dotsie,
The 4th was great! We do have a pool and it's a blessing.
The kids had a great time swimming! The middle child, Dillon, who just turned 5 was so thrilled to have swam for the first time without his swimmies! They brought a new pool toy, a battery operated fish that you turn on and it just swims around the pool. My husband wants to get a bunch of them and just leave them in there, thinks it would be funny.
Maggie and I did manage to get in a good walk while the little ones napped after swimming, they swam till they dropped! We walked about 3 miles, gave us time to really talk about all the juicy stuff.
gerrbeck

#122474 - 07/10/07 07:05 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

There's nothing better than walking with a friend.

I remember those celebratory days when the kids took off their swimmies. My daughter did 12-13 years of swim team so I have some fond swim memories. I've also seen those battery powered fish you are speaking of. They're so cute.

I walked an hour with a friend this morning. We have to walk early here because of the heat this time of year. It's in the 90s today...and HUMID! Right Emy?

#122475 - 07/10/07 11:50 PM Re: I'm Walking
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi! I am an injured runner..nearing the age of 60. So I have to answer you call for all walkers because that is what I´ll be doing for quite a awhile. I still don´t plan to give up my walk/run routine. But it´s nice just to walk and take it all in, too. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. No seriously, I am glad that I can be a walker at all at this stage!! And a fast walk is just as good..if not better than a run... in the long run...

So I am answering your call!!!

#122476 - 07/11/07 12:36 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: humlan]
gerrbeck Offline

Still walking whenever I can. But Dotsie, you're not kidding about the heat. It's been really HOT everywhere this week. The temps here have been between 95 and 100 with the heat index running as high as 110, extremely muggy. My son and I did some yard work for a friend yesterday, (her husband has been very sick) even early in the day it was bad. I came home and jumped right in the pool!
I'm opting out of the walk tonight, I was in and out of the heat enough today.

#122477 - 07/13/07 12:34 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

It has since turned gorgeous here but I haven't had time to walk the last two days. Wah!

What a nice son to do yard work with you for friends. How old is he?

#122478 - 07/16/07 05:02 PM Re: I'm Walking
gerrbeck Offline

Well, got in a walk Friday evening, got in 2 miles! I couldn't walk Saturday due to storms. Walked last night, almost up to that 3 mile mark!

Dotsie, my son Matthew is 14. He's a pretty good kid, as is my daughter Sara 16. She's just boy crazy, ugh! I am trying to instill some work ethic in both of them. Matthew is always wanting games and computer gadgets, so I told him he'd have to earn the money. He did a good job at my friends, so now he's going to do it every week to earn his spending money. Sara works at Red Lobster! It's nice because we get a good discount on meals there!!

#122479 - 07/19/07 03:31 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gerrbeck, I remember those days when the kids were all here. I know it can be an intense time because you are trying to instill everything in them before they leave, but just be sure to make the most of them because they'll be gone before you know it! Sigh...

Our youngest son is only 18, soon to be 19 and he's been in school in Florida since September. We've seen him off and on, but this is our longest stretch without seeing him. It's hard. We won't see him until September. It will be three months without laying eyes on him which is hard considering he was living here every day this time last year. Fortunately, we talk by cell a lot. We also use email.

Love the heck out of them while they are still around.

#122480 - 06/03/08 01:43 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Well, I just this morning started to walk alone. Only for about a mile. But I have not walked in 10 years!

After awakening feeling stiff, I popped out of bed, got my long sleeved shirt/hat/sunglasses and Z-coils and did it! Only for about 1/2....but it already feels good!

How do other walkers carry their water bottles? Is there some kind of holder available?

#122481 - 06/03/08 04:00 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Di, I'm so glad to hear this. Walking is such good exercise. I'm sure you're gonna love getting back in to it.

I don't carry a water bottle. I just gulp it down when I get home. I think there are belts you can buy that hold water bottles.

What are Z-coils?

#122482 - 06/03/08 04:44 PM Re: I'm Walking
Di Offline

http://zcoils.com/

I talked about them before. My back usually aches just wearing sneakers. But THESE are wonderful. A nice "bounce" on the pavement is really good for your back. Now that our roads have been paved in the last 1 1/2 years..we have freedom! But the stray dogs don't help.

Also, Dotsie........do you do any activity with your arms at all? I'm trying to swing, twist, bend them to get upper body moving as well.

#122483 - 06/04/08 12:35 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
Di Offline

Did two miles today! Brought a bottle of water and a stick to fend off the stray dogs.

What does everyone else take along on their walks??

#122484 - 06/04/08 12:43 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a headset that is a radio. I play the oldies station and beebop my way for 30-35 minutes. I have some weights that I could use on my ankles or wrists, but I usually don't.

#122485 - 06/04/08 12:53 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

I use hand weights...started with 1 pound because I heard that using weights would keep your hands from swelling...and they do...I'm up to 5 pounds now and do arm exercises while I walk...

I find that leg weights bother me so I usually just wear them at home for a little resistence when I'm doing my normal stuff.

#122486 - 06/04/08 01:03 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Di Offline

Yeah, I want a headset with a radio! I love listening to NPR in the mornings but I used to lay in bed doing that and now miss it!

Re: Hand weights. As I walked the morning holding my stick and bottle, it became uncomfortable with my hands "grasping" something. So a weight might be good. I'll check things out.

I also need a water bottle holder!

Edited to add: DH just told me he does not want me to have a radio. He wants me to listen for cars instead. (We have no sidewalks) Oh well.....guess I'll hum to myself!

Edited by Di (06/04/08 01:53 PM)

#122487 - 06/04/08 02:11 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I take my husband and black lab. Most days we walk for 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes at night. That varies sometimes depending on how far or where we walk. Usually we walk on the south side of the county park. The north side takes longer. Love walking. Been walking regularly since
1996. Good luck all.
Di,
I saw people wearing those Zcoils the last time I was in Florida. They're all the rage down there.

#122488 - 06/04/08 02:18 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

They help my back tremendously. It's old and tired and overworked.

Wish I could take a dog or three!! LOL!! But with the strays it would not be fun.

#122489 - 06/06/08 01:19 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

State funds are limited these days, so County Park officials have prisoners' maintain the grounds. Temps will be over 90 degrees today. Therefore, I was wearing one of those bra-in-T's this morning. Even with hubby and the lab by my side, it was a little scary walking passed a group of guys in prison uniforms.

#122490 - 06/11/08 04:34 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
This is the first time I've walked in months! Between my schedule, my injuries, the heat, his injuries, and my schedule, it's been several months. Hubbo has not been able to walk more than a block at a time for 4 months now.

Tonight he was watching the Lakers game at mega-volume, so I decided to step out. I started at 7:30, went around the larger neighborhood at a good pace, and got home 9:30 pm. I'm guessing 6 miles. I would've gone longer but I had to use the facilities.

Gorgeous night. Temps in upper 60s, perfect walking weather. I really should do this more often, but we get stuck in our lazy ways.

Poet and essayist

#122491 - 06/16/08 12:56 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

meredith, I wished we lived closer. I love to walk. Already walked an hour today with a friend at 6:20. But I've never walked for two hours. That's fantastic for your first time out. DId it help your mental health? Walking and the great outdoors works wonders for my moods.

#122492 - 06/16/08 07:06 PM Re: I'm Walking
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Since I got up so early this morning, at 8:00 a.m., thats really early for me. I decided to take a walk around the park. Opened the back door, stepped outside, gasped and ran back inside. I then noticed that my back porch patio thermometer read 107*...Good Lord! No wonder the air got sucked out of my lungs. Guess, I'll put on Richard Simmons tapes and Dance to the Oldies, shake my thing inside where its cool.

Edited by chatty lady (06/16/08 07:08 PM)

#122493 - 06/17/08 12:07 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dotsie, I used to walk all day. That's used to! Even 18 months ago, before all the stupid injuries, I went for 2 hours in the hills once a month. I wasn't tired at all this time, but the next day, my ankles were a little sore -- no biggie.

Chatty, I wouldn't walk in 107 either. That would be like putting a neon dart board on my forehead asking for migraines.

Poet and essayist

#122494 - 06/17/08 12:10 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I odn't know how yo live in that heat. Are youever able to give your air conditioner a break? We are doing so right now after having hot temps for weeks. It's so nice to have the windows open again!

Meredith, did you schedule that time? YOu're giving me ideas to plan longer walks on the weekends - in different locations. I like that idea.

#122495 - 06/17/08 07:06 AM Re: I'm Walking
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dotsie, I love going out into nature on local hiking trails. This week's walk was completely unplanned. Just felt like it, and did it.

Poet and essayist

#122496 - 06/17/08 01:12 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

What I enjoy most about walking is how clear my mind because after a brisk walk. The weather here right now is pleasant, mid 80's and a light breeze. Perfect for walking in the early morns...

#122497 - 06/25/08 04:16 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Georgia, the outdoors also clears my mind. It's like a drug.

This morning, my friend and I hiked all over town for an hour and landed at the bagel place for a bagel and juice when we were finished. We sat outside and munched then finished our walk home. I love living within walking distance to town.

#122498 - 06/25/08 06:27 PM Re: I'm Walking
JackieG Offline

Hey, this my first post on this site. Just registered today. I am walking every morning at 6:30am, I started last week with my niece. We will be walking every morning Tues. through Friday morning for weight loss. But, even though I just started last week, I am finding some neat benefits already including the fact that my appetite has decreased and I have more energy through the day. I would have thought that I would be more hungry and more tired - LOL - but the opposite seems to be true so far - makes me happy - so neat.

#122499 - 06/25/08 06:46 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: JackieG]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jackie, WELCOME! How smart of you to recognize the benefits from the get-go. I too found that after a brisk walk, I had MORE energy and just had to do something in house. I couldn't just sit down. So it was very uplifting while I was walking knowing something in my house was going to get a cleaning when I returned! LOL!

I also found that the headsets with music playing kept me "in the mood" to walk quicker.

Welcome to the forums. We hope that you enjoy the community and will make this your home away from home!

#122500 - 06/26/08 03:58 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
JackieG Offline

Thanks for the welcome!

I like walking with my niece because we can talk, ya know - LOL - I enjoy that - but, I agree with you, if I ever walk alone music is very motivating.

#122501 - 06/26/08 04:13 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: JackieG]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Here's a tip that one of the ladies here in the forum gave us a while back. If it's raining and you can't walk, get two cans of any soup, hold one in each hand, and simply MARCH whenever a commercial comes on TV, or when you have 10-15 minutes you can do so...or if you have the time (who does?) march for 30 minutes, or whatever the length of your usual walking time.

Doesn't have to be soup either...it could be books or any other heavy object that would have the same resistance. No bowling balls, though...LOL!

#122502 - 06/26/08 08:47 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

JJ thats my idea, and it works. I use two pound weights and whenever a commercial comes on TV, I march in place. You can also jump on a stationary bike during each commercial, its easy and it works as well as any outdoor exercise... .

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#122503 - 06/26/08 09:09 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

JAckie, I think walking with someone from a younger generation would be so much fun. At one time, we ahd a couple younger gals here and I loved hearing their voices. It's nice to have younger friends.

#122504 - 06/29/08 06:06 PM Re: I'm Walking
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I love returning to this thread..I always get inspired by you all..and I can use all the push I can get. I have become sooo lazy! I have an active jobb..with small kids..and I do my yoga every evening..but none of that really builds you up and gives you good physical stamina (can´t think of the exact word in English..sorry)

Anyway..good luck everyone!!!

#122505 - 06/30/08 02:50 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: humlan]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I started the Walking Away the Pounds program by Leslie Sansone on May 13th. In combination with watching what I am eating, not depriving just watching, I have lost 7 pounds and inches too. It has been pretty hot and humid here, and I know that I wouldn't be disciplined enough to walk outside, so this has really been an answer for me. I have several DVD's now and mix in light resistance now. I find them to be very kind on the knees and a good match for me.

#122506 - 07/05/08 10:29 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: hotflashgal]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I get up at 5AM to walk everyday before it gets hot. But of lately, I have been having a hard time to get moving at that hour....yawn. It takes me another 30 minutes to get moving out the door. I must be getting old and slow!

#122507 - 07/05/08 10:34 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Cookie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cookie, is it still dark at that time? I life walking early this time of year, but can't stand walking when it's still dark in the mornings. I definitely need to soak up the light when walking. It's another reason I walk.

#122508 - 07/05/08 10:44 PM Re: I'm Walking
Cookie Offline

Dotsie, it is dawn when I start my walk. The sun is starting to come up after I have walked 15 minutes. Simply beautiful and quiet at that time of morning. It is my quiet time to pray and be thankful. And looking at that sunrise each day is a beautiful sight... Another one of God's masterpieces.

#122509 - 07/27/08 03:08 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Though most of these women do cycle, some also do fitness walking.

Several are boomers in this thread, have grown adult children or teenagers.
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=24103

#122510 - 07/28/08 02:21 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for the link. It's neat to hear what others are doing for exercise at this stage of the game. I'd love to do waht one of the gals mentioned in her post and that's walk and then run a teeny bit, then walk and run a teeny bit. I need to soemthing a little different before I get bored.

We wlaked at 8:00 this monring instead of 7:00 and boy what a idfference. Tomorrow, we're back to 7:00. Way too much activity and traffic in comparison.

#122511 - 07/28/08 09:00 PM Re: I'm Walking
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Thats great JackieG, and welcome... Sorry it took so long to answer you.

Dotsie, my poor thermostst rarely gets to rest between late May and Early September, then when you all are freezing your patoots off, its sunny here and in the 70's. Love the fall and winter months and spring too actually...

#122512 - 08/02/08 11:23 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: chatty lady]
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hi Everyone!

As I'm still finding my way around this excellent forum and meeting area, I've just been able to read some of the walking threads.

I am so excited to see people recovering and embracing this excellent exercise base.

It is an essential route to detoxification of the body (the movement of the lymph, particularly with regards to the activity of the calf muscle, the "heart" of the lymph).

The effects of walking on stress management are huge, too - it is an excellent way to offset the effects of stress hormones by circulating them OUT with the activity (see my "detox" notes above).

Also, walking allows for easy, rambling pleasure.

And another thing - regular walking keeps your body used to being an "active animal"...excellent advantage for longterm fitness.

I also see references to weight and walking. True, regular walking can have a weight managing effect; however, if there are more challenges with weight gain, there are two esstials to consider:

1) muscle mass decline contributes most to weight gain. We simply get less active (most of us) as we move through life, and it is the #1 challenge to body composition. To maintain that mass, you need some challenges to the musculature, especially the muscles through the core and the back. At the same time, the prime mover muscles (think of the big muscles on your extremities), will keep your metabolic fires burning, when they are kept dense.

There are lots of ways to do this. An excellent solution for women who want to keep inflammation down and protect their joints, while "working out" in a low-maintenance fashion (it doesn't take a whole lot of time because of its comprehensive nature) is the T-Tapp Wellness Workout. It has built in comprehensiveness and intervals, which are great for maintaining muscle density.

There are other avenues to muscle, the most obvious probably being weight training, though care must be taken with joint protection.

As for hormones - yes, menopause is a time when our bodies are doing their best to equalize the estrogens and we tend to deposit more fat around the belly at this time because this is the bodyfat that is an "estrogen factory".

I figure our bodies are always doing something for a reason - it is not out to frustrate us our make us wonder about our waist size! We can work with the body to move through these times.

When I went through menopause, I experienced a moderate weight gain that I allowed myself to move right through the middle of. It came on fast, so I knew it was hormonal, and at the same time knew I needed to be consistent and nurturing to my body to get out the other side of it unscathed. That meant a little less eat cheat, consistency of movement (without brutal workouts - that's a fitness byline!)...to give you an idea.

I'm happy to be a resource to everyone here - it is my specialty to work with midlife (I call it primetime, yes?) women who are desirous of moving their fitness - and their lives - forward, into through and beyond this time.

Warmly,
Lani

#156593 - 08/16/08 09:08 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Lani]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lani, I've walked through my peri-menopause like a nut and am heavier than I've ever been. URG! Any suggestions? I walk fast and for almost an hour at least 4 times a week with a friend. I think my problem is that I like to eat too much.

#156615 - 08/16/08 02:24 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, I played racquetball 3 times a week for a year and never lost an ounce. I'm sure my heart/lung health was better for it, but it didn't do anything for my body. It was when I started lifting weights that I really noticed a difference. Have you tried weight training?

K

PS: That was 10 years ago, and now I'm trying to convince myself to do the weights again. Maybe I'll head over to the gym right now!

#156663 - 08/17/08 12:55 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Cookie Offline

I walk everyday when weather permits, and have done so for years! I have gone to curves for many years also, but recently have quit because I wasn't enjoying it anymore nor was I loosing anymore inches. When I hit age 50 a few years back I had gained 12 pounds and I hadn't changed anything ...eating or exercise habits. frown I went to the doctor and had some tests ran and they all came back fine. My doctor said I was not overweight but the weight gain was just my age working against me, and it happens to men too. The doctor also told me our metabolism slows down when we get older. If I wanted to lose weight I must exercise more and eat less calories. Well, duh.....who doesn't already know that!! I am not TOO obsessed about my weight gain, but I do feel sluggish and thick from the extra weight I am carrying around. I have started to do some simple weight lifting routines that I can do at home. I am already feeling stronger and have lost 2 pounds! Yeah!

#156689 - 08/17/08 07:05 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Cookie]
gims Offline

I've read that about curves... that once you meet a certain level, it fails to do any more good, other than maintenance. But, for many, it is a great way to exercise. I've thought about getting our equipment out of storage and setting up a circular training system. I'd be stepping outside often, because we truly don't have enough clear space. My youngest daughter loaned me her treadmill. I think I'm gonna like it, because I can read while I walk.

From what I understand, cookie, we can eat as much, and more, regardless of our age, if we eat smart. Getting there is the hard part... letting go of the favorite processed foods (for me, breads - I had a toasted sesame bagel this week that was to die for!) is quite difficult.

#159461 - 09/10/08 08:35 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gims]
JackieG Offline

Ya'll are motivating me - I was walking with my niece every morning, but our schedules started to conflict so I have stopped temporarily, need to get out there by myself, it's just not as much fun - I know I can walk in place inside, but I seem to enjoy the fresh air of being outside better - I am a nature gal -love the outdoors...

#160088 - 09/17/08 01:11 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: JackieG]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Hi girls,
It's recently been proven that being fit is more important than being overweight.I know I don't like the midlife weight gain any more than anyone but the take away message is--KEEP Walking or doing whatever form of exercise you like to do. It's cardio-protective, cancer preventive, and keeps the mind working the way it should.
I have recently found a product I feel safe to recommend to my clients--the first weight loss accelerator I've ever recommended because of who developed it and the science available to anyone interested about how and why it works. I'm not here to sell anything but if anyone is interested in looking into this supp just PM me.
Most important tho, walk, dance, run, row, lift--just do something everyday to move your body.

#166222 - 11/22/08 05:20 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: gims
I've read that about curves... that once you meet a certain level, it fails to do any more good, other than maintenance. But, for many, it is a great way to exercise. I've thought about getting our equipment out of storage and setting up a circular training system. I'd be stepping outside often, because we truly don't have enough clear space. My youngest daughter loaned me her treadmill. I think I'm gonna like it, because I can read while I walk.

From what I understand, cookie, we can eat as much, and more, regardless of our age, if we eat smart. Getting there is the hard part... letting go of the favorite processed foods (for me, breads - I had a toasted sesame bagel this week that was to die for!) is quite difficult.

I've never been to curves but based on this maintenance /plateauing problem..the people whom I've known to have lost significant weight did ramp up their exercise/whatever fav. physical activity plus change their diet.

Even for those who are fit, it does require long-term effort to be energetic and eat healthily. The key is to find healthy things and habits where you slip into your daily life..that you don't think about after awhile.

Like for me, I have a half cup of microwaved oatmeal--no sugar, some skim milk and if available, simple fruit. My quick breakfast at ...4:45 am since I get up so early to get to work. By the time I get to work, it's coffee with a fresh fruit..and yea, a light biscotti sometimes. smile I go grocery shopping on my bike all the time. It's just brainless healthy little things to do ...that when you don't do it..your body misses it.

Rethink how you can slowly chip away at the parts of lifestyle you don't like..but can easily change.

#166226 - 11/22/08 05:26 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Orchid, this is some of the best advice I've read in a long time. It IS incorporating changes into your lifestyle that benefit you and help to make you healthier, and you are SO 100% right that once you skip one, or pass over it for a day or so, you miss it and that signals your brain who LOVES to maintain the status quo, or routines, to get back into it.

Take drinking water, for instance...I don't like to do it, and it can be so bla...but once I make it a part of my daily routine, and the more I drink, the more I actually begin to crave it and can't wait to have another 8 ounces. Fresh fruit is another example. If you try having a piece of fresh fruit around 9ish in the morning, and/or between 2-4 in the afternoon, you will find that if you skip it, your body/mind is going, "Where the H is my fruit!!!!"

Just take ONE change and see if this doesn't hold true for you. Thanks Orchid for that reminder!

#166245 - 11/22/08 11:01 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
you miss it and that signals your brain who LOVES to maintain the status quo, or routines, to get back into it.

Take drinking water, for instance...I don't like to do it, and it can be so bla...but once I make it a part of my daily routine, and the more I drink, the more I actually begin to crave it and can't wait to have another 8 ounces. Fresh fruit is another example. If you try having a piece of fresh fruit around 9ish in the morning, and/or between 2-4 in the afternoon, you will find that if you skip it, your body/mind is going, "Where the H is my fruit!!!!"

Just take ONE change and see if this doesn't hold true for you. Thanks Orchid for that reminder!

That's so great jawjaw, about lovin' something like water and fruit zs part of lifestyle and habit. This past summer I started to become...a fruitbasket and am still going at it. I'm NOT sure why ...because for many years before that, I was a pedestrian eater of fresh fruit. I bought abit more fruit during local fruit harvest seasons because of the pricing and freshness.

But this summer, my partner and I spent double the amount of our food bill on twice as much more fresh local raspberries (British Columbia produces the high volume of raspberries in all of Canada), blueberries, blackberries, peaches (I rarely bought peaches before), cherries, apricots (oh yummers), etc. This year I started to notice some of the wonderful varieties of local grapes --champagne grapes, concord, etc. We went crazy. If I wash a pint of berries and leave it in the strainer to drain for the whole afternoon. 1/2 of it is eaten...by me...it's just dangerous to leave easy-to-eat fresh fruit out on the counter for me now. laugh
I mean easy-to-eat, no extra peeling, no messy hands, etc.

And overall in the past 12 months, because of the false but necessary diabetes 2 scare that I had on my blood sugar tests, I've cut back on white rice consumption by 50%. It's all casual, I just have replaced this grain with lower carb, light Asian pasta. (less heavy than Italian-style pasts which I no longer buy. But will order handmade Italian pasta, ie. handmade ravioli or gnocchi at a restaurant). I don't think too much about this latest change, because I still eat noticeably Asian which informs alot of my diet long-term.

#166250 - 11/23/08 01:35 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I use to think that fruit = apple. Period. Growing up the only fruit I ever ate besides an apple or a banana was in fruit cocktail or some other dessert containing cool whip or jell-o.

Now...I LOVE to grab a handfull of cherries, those big fat grapes even though they have seeds, oranges, tangerines, tangelos, apricots (dried or fresh), GRAPEFRUIT...GRAPEFRUIT..GRAPEFRUIT...and something new I've found that I love is cranberries. Man, Oh man, I love them. Blueberries as well....but there is one thing, blackberries, that I will NEVER love. Ewww....nasty old things!

By all rights I should weigh about 90 pounds...the other 200 pounds must be Oreos...sigh.

#166255 - 11/23/08 06:10 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Until I began to live on the Pacific Coast where rain is more abundnat I didn't fully appreciate taste of blackberries. I'm from Ontario, where mulberry is the closest fit and those not particularily edible.

I assume you are talking about blackberries in Alabama? Here there are some wineries that sell blackberry wine which is lovely fruity dessert wine.

Once fruits get too expensive in winter, I end up having grapefruit several times / wk. for breakfast. Half of one.

Did you know how rare the apple is..in the Philippines? We have to remember some of our fruit is rare /non-growing in other parts of the world. I had a Malayasian roommate that tried to smuggle in a 6 lbs. of fresh black cherries into her country from Canada.

Didn't work.

#166262 - 11/23/08 12:59 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh Lord, I forgot about raspberries. I love raspberries everything. Drink, fruit, whatever. Also, I do love Blackberry Wine Cake. I have the recipe if you ever want to go to heaven. Blackberry Wine is used in it.

Mulberry Wine is another one that is soooo good, especially the homemade wines. I don't make it, but I have friends that do.

Do you like dried fruit? I love the banana chips and mango.

#166285 - 11/23/08 02:37 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

How did we go from fruit to wine so quickly?

orchid, I' love hearing about people who are willing to make the necessary diet changes for their health sake. Trust me, you don't want to take medicine for diabetes. Keep biking and eating well and you may very well be able to avoid it.

My favorite fruit this time of year is a clementine. They are so delish. But you have to be careful because they sell for anywhere 4.99 a crate to 8.99 a crate. They peel so easily, taste so good, and are gone in no time. Love those dang things.

#166398 - 11/25/08 07:50 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I haven't been able to exercise in 2 weeks because every time I take a deep breath, I break out coughing. It makes me feel like a sludge at the computer all day.

I've always been a big fruit eater. I lovvvvve fresh fruit and always have. In Chicago during high school, the only fruit we got in winter was oranges, and I'd go through a 5-lb. bag every few days. This week's fruit purchase was 3 grapefruits, 14 fuyu persimmons and 1 pineapple, all of which will be gone by Sunday. Plus 1 lb. of FRESH raisins, an absolutely incredible treat bearing very little resemblance to store-bought imposters.

What's changed about my diet recently is vegetable intake. All my favorites -- beets, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and orange squash -- are the ones hubbo doesn't like, so we've fallen into the rut of onions, mushrooms, and green/red pepper with everything.

Now that I'm trading with vegetable vendors at the market, every week I bring home several lbs. of assorted mystery seasonal greens, which completely fills up both vegetable crispers -- and spoils if not used in a timely manner.

The first week I had to fight Hubbo, who wrinkled his nose and complained about mystery greens. Then they wilted or got slimy and I threw 1/2 of it out, and let him know that he was wasting OUR money and throwing out FREE FOOD. So now he eats it. Every Sunday after market, I pull out a pad of paper during lunch and plan the week's dinners. Figure out what else we need to augment the mystery greens. Creative ways of re-packaging mystery greens. So we're eating TWICE as much greens as we were a month ago. I never realized I could do so much with food I can barely identify.

I'm gradually remembering their names as well. This week, I got:
Chinese broccoli
large bok choy
baby bok choy
2 types of chard
2 types of kale
basil
parsley
tomatoes
and 2 bags of soft-leaf ...mystery greens.

However, hubbo needs names that are familiar or he won't eat it. So I tell him that everything is "just like" something he likes -- that would be lettuce, spinach, broccoli, bok choy or zucchini. Whatever mystery green I get, it's "just like" one of those lol.

Poet and essayist

#166494 - 11/26/08 03:41 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
orchid Offline

So jawjaw, how about that Blackberry Wine cake recipe? (I might end up cutting back on sugar...most recipes have too much sugar...if this one does have sugar.)

Geez, meredith that's alot of persimmons. My partner gets a wierd reaction to persimmons, if they are not ripe, he feels as if his throat is constricted. Not I.

You're lucky to barter with the other vendors for veggies....
I admit that I find kale a mystery to me..seems like a veggie that needs flavouring agent. One of my sisters (who was vegan but no longer) cooks with it.

And what do fresh raisins taste like?

clementines and tangerines are handy things...and not as messy to eat compared to oranges.

#166503 - 11/26/08 06:47 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Orchid, the weird taste comes from hachiya, not fuyu persimmons. Fuyu are shaped like miniature squat pumpkins and can be eaten hard or soft. Hachiyas are vaguely acorn shaped and have to be completely ripe/soft or they're bitter. Persimmons are one of my absolute favorite fruits and they're only in season for one month more. Hubbo and I each eat at least one a day.

I use a variety of spices on everything I cook.

fresh raisins are also seasonal available during grape season and maybe 2 months after harvest is done. They're made like regular raisins but the process is cut short before they're completely dried out. The result is both plumper and sweeter, never leathery. They last about 2 months (in theory. We've never had them sit around that long!) as opposed to store-bought raisins which last forever. I've never seen them outside of California.

I'll be buying more citrus in January when persimmons and Asian apple pears are out of season.

Poet and essayist

#166516 - 11/26/08 02:06 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I like to cook kale by sauteing it in a little olive oil with garlic and red onion. Cook just until it begins to get soft. Yummy. Almost any green can be fixed this way.

#166518 - 11/26/08 02:50 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: cyclinggal]
jabber Offline

What's kale? Where do you buy it? What does it taste like?

#166562 - 11/26/08 11:16 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Kale is a very nutritious leafy-green vegetable -- a form of cabbage. It is low in calories, but high in vitamin K, C, beta carotene and calcium. I think it has a kind of earthy flavor. I would not want to eat a bowl of raw kale, but sauteing it with garlic and onion adds a wonderful flavor. Just google "kale" and you will see a lot of great recipes.

#166569 - 11/27/08 05:09 AM Re: I'm Walking [Re: cyclinggal]
orchid Offline

I guess cyclinggal, I'm just lazy..about kale. And just haven't taken time to learn more about it/use it.

the other day, I tried something that I hadn't had for ages, it felt abit retro, but new: red radishes. I had forgotten how spicy they are.

#166580 - 11/27/08 03:12 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

cyclinggal and orchid,
The only cabbage I like is cabbage salad. Don't like cooked
cabbage one little bit. But love radishes, even the spicy type.

#166605 - 11/28/08 03:02 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: cyclinggal]
jabber Offline

They have a recipe for sweet potatoes and kale on google.
You might like that.

#166632 - 11/28/08 10:26 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I like kale aqnd fix it similar to the way you do cyclinggal. I also add kale as one of the veges in vegetable soup.

I make a cabbage and noodle dish that everyone asks for the recipe for once having tasted it. Also stuffed cabbage rolls are so good. Also caggage can be added to vegetable soup. When I make a vegetable soup it is FULL of healthy, tasty veges, all kinds.

#166681 - 11/29/08 02:27 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
My friend, the one in the Nursing Home right now, made the
best vegetable soup. It had chunks of hamburger in it and all types of veggies; her pies were out of this world, too; and
her pumpkin cookies were too die for. I'm gettin' hungry just
thinking about it. You sound like a great cook, Chats, as does
others on this site. I wish I enjoyed cooking. But I never
claimed to be perfect.

#166716 - 11/30/08 01:42 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

cycling, I'm not a big kale fan, but I'm going to try this with spinach. Thanks for sharing.

jabber, the only time we eat cooked cabbage is when we make corned beef and cabbage. Love it! My maiden name is McNamara.

#180657 - 04/22/09 03:21 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: gerrbeck]
Noel Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Hey There! ~ I've just recently started walking in my "front yard" Memorial Park. The weather here in Jax has been beautiful!
Hopefully I can stay motivated during the heat of summer.

#180674 - 04/22/09 08:11 PM Re: I'm Walking [Re: Noel]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Noel, so you live right in front of the park? You have no excuses. Keep up the good work. Wlak early or walk late in the day. I try to stay away from mid-day when it's hot in Baltimore.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved