The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125118 - 08/07/07 01:26 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

What a good idea...well done Merideth.
Hope you have settled Eagle Heart.Be good to yourself.
Mountain ash

#125119 - 08/07/07 08:28 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Mountain Ash]
Emyjay Offline

Eagle,

Treasures, like your dresser, take up so much room in this house. But much of what's in here - as far as furniture, wall hangings, china, figurines, books, grandma Lewis's organ, framed documents from the Mexican/American Border dispute, etc. -- how could I possibly give them away to anyone other than someone in this family?

These are treasures and they belong to many other people, not just us.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a museum. Another generation of cousins is now marrying and I'm hoping these members of our family will show some interest in keeping these family heirlooms. (I may have butchered that word.)

Although I married into this family, while I've been caring for these treasures, I am aware of their value as reminders of those who lived generations before.

I do understand how you feel about that dresser. Absolutely understand.

Also, you are still in the early stages of grief and, so I've heard and lived through, myself, objects or dates will sometimes catch you off guard and tears may fall for a day or so.

I think your idea of making note of who used this dresser - and when - is a wonderful way to honor those who have passed over.

I'm not writing this as nicely as I would like, but I have to go someplace and wanted to respond, at least.

Be gentle to yourself,
Emily

#125120 - 08/08/07 11:45 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Emyjay]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, what a lovely story that seems to have struck a cord for many of us as we recall loved ones through pieces we have.

Meredith, excellent idea. Love it!

This post saddens me for another reason. My dear friend who lost her son last week has no other children to leave things to. That breaks my heart. She is also an only child. I am definitely battling with God over this loss.

I have a bookshelf that was moms. I can't get rid of it because I recall how she anguished over getting rid of the majority of her book collection when she moved from the house in which we are all raised. She took only a few to their apartment and I know it was hard on her. Boy can I relate. My book collection grows weekly and I can't imagine having to part with the majority of them.

What do you have that you would like to see passed along to your loved ones? Anything?

#125121 - 08/09/07 03:03 AM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser...
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eagle, your post was a treasure. Renee, I have a feeling that what goes around comes around, and in some twist of ironic fate you will get what is rightfully yours. Dotsie, I'm sorry about your friend's sons death. I was done in by stickers. My nephew who died a year and a half ago at age 17 was a saxaphone player, amongst other musical instruments. Yesterday at the crafts store I saw a bunch of music instrument related stickers, and it made me cry just to think of him and his talent, gone for good.

#125122 - 08/09/07 03:09 AM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Stickers, who would have thought. I'll never be able to look at jeely beans the same way again. Our young friend who just died loved eating jelly beans at our house when he was little. In fact, he even called my hubby "Beans." There are certain things that will always trigger an immediate recollection of him, but that's a good thing because we want to remember him and they are good memories. I'm sure your thoughts of him when you saw the stickers were good memories too. Be sure to call his mom and tell her what happened. I think they like to hear that we remember their loved ones.

#125123 - 08/09/07 05:22 AM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser...
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
What a loving and touching story. What is that saying...as long as we have memories no one is truly gone? And how comforting to have something to 'touch' from the past that was a part of so many lives.

My husband's grandmother (we lost her two years ago...she was 94)...always sat in an old burnt orange high-back chair. She sat in that chair and told me stories of her childhood, played her fiddle and guitar, and watched her soaps from that chair. She collapsed suddenly one afternoon and died a week later. No one wanted her chair because just before her collapse she had vomited on the arm and needed cleaning. Out of all her possession when I saw that chair, I thought of her. When I found out it was going to be put on the curb, I asked my husband if he'd mind bringing it home and that I'd clean it up. He did and I cleaned her chair until it looked new again. It now sits in my living room and is where I like sitting when I do my needlework and watch my soap.

Hopefully, we'll all leave something behind that someone will find value in to remind them of us. Whether it be a broken old chest or a chair with sick stains on it. They serve as testimony that we did exist and that we were a part of our families lives. Memories, we'll always have them, but to be able to touch something that belonged to a loved one, no matter how tattered or torn, gives us something that has remained when the physical part of the one we love has left us forever.

#125124 - 08/11/07 04:12 AM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Dee]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
What good stories we are telling on this thread, despite that sadness attached. Dotsie, I had not realized that your friend's son was nearly a part of your family since he was little. I'm really sorry. Dee, I think that chair was meant for you.

#125125 - 08/11/07 02:42 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My mamaw, bless her, died when I was 22. I miss her so much...she was the one constant in my life...the one person I knew I could always count on to love me unconditionally. Losing her was like losing my soul. I have two things of hers that I treasure. One is a crocheted doily that although is dingy and has a couple of holes, is displayed proudly in my home. I also have a piece of cloth, no more than 1" X 1" with her initial "A" stiched in pink on it. When she lived with us years and years ago she stiched her initial on her sheets so she could tell them apart from ours. The sheet eventually had to be thrown away but I cut out the part where she'd embroidered her initial. These two items mean the world to me and when I touch them I close my eyes and can see her holding them in her hands and working the needle. I'd rather have her here with me but since I can't, she left me something to hold that she held and I'm so grateful for that.

#125126 - 08/12/07 06:55 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser... [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dee, what lovely reminders. I especially like the embroidered A from her sheets. Is there a way to preserve that? Maybe you could have it framed?

#125127 - 08/12/07 07:36 PM Re: Done in By An Old Dresser...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Lynnie,
There is always comfort in your kind words to me . I resizned in the fact that I will never see that desk again an moms silverware again. I always said life is like a revoling door , be careful what you do it will come back at you. I was always told it is not good to wish ill things on a person , but they had it coming LOL.

Thanks Lynnie ,
Where would I be without out you today ?

Renee

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved