The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126762 - 08/30/07 11:16 PM unwelcomed guest
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I have a backyard with blackberry bushes. They have been blooming all month. I pick them as does my Mom. There are more than enough for us. There is an older man that I've spoken to before who likes to pick them. They are on both sides of the fence so he does not really need to come in my yard but he does. On occasion I said it was ok but also said I like to pick them too. (meaning go ahead but save some fore me) There are bushes all over the place at the parks, etc. so he really doesn't need to come to my house.

He knocks on my door alot asking if he can pick them. This week I am taking off work but normally my kids during the summer are home alone so I don't want this guy around. He seems harmless enough but kind of weird, you never know. The other day when I went out to my car he was behind the bush and said something to me startling me. I did not appreciate him lurking behind my bushes.

Today when I was home during the day he kept knocking on the door. I did not answer but saw him through the window. He left, then came back again knocking on the door. I find him a pest. He has picked more than enough blackberries and I want him to stop coming over.

I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to answer my door all the time, nor do I want him in my yard anymore.
Any suggestions?
Kate

#126763 - 08/30/07 11:52 PM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: katebcca]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That sounds spooky to me as well, Kate. But then again, I'm very cautious since I live alone. I'm grateful for Trixie's company and protection.

What a pest, too. Constantly knocking and disturbing you. I think I would have to try the honest approach first so that you would "make it clear" that his constant appearance in the yard is getting on your nerves. No, I didn't mean to say exactly THAT to him, but that you really wish he wouldn't come over so often that you have things to do in the house and sometimes, your napping or on the phone. His constant knocking is disturbing you. And maybe leave it at that. If you're honest, then you don't have to be coming up with new things to say to him all the time.

I have also found that cooling the "hi neighbor" and friendly waves, etc...can sometimes help them to "get it." You know?

#126764 - 08/31/07 12:13 AM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: jawjaw]
katebcca Offline

Yes, I don't want to be mean to him as he is an elderly gent. I have no idea where he lives though and only see him when he is hovering around my yard.

If it continues when the blackberry season ends I will definitely say something to him. For now I will continue to ignore the door.
Kate

#126765 - 08/31/07 12:40 AM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: katebcca]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good gosh...I thought he was a neighbor. You don't even know where he lives? Geeish...I know I would be cautious, to say the least.

#126766 - 08/31/07 04:26 AM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: jawjaw]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Wow Kate, I would tell this man that your Blueberry Patch is officially closed for the season...and that he must not come through the fence or knock on your door because "your husband" sleeps during the day and gets cranky when he is disturbed...please be very careful...you might even ask yourlocal police officer to just "drive by" sometime when he is there...you can't be too careful.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#126767 - 08/31/07 10:43 AM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I thought he lived behind you so I was also surprised to hear you don't know where he lives.

I like Blondi's approach. If you sorta make a little joke out of it by saying, "The blackberry patch is closed for the season" he may get the message. And what a great idea to make reference to a man living in the house.

Or, could you post a little sign stating no trespassing?

Edited by Dotsie (08/31/07 10:44 AM)

#126768 - 08/31/07 01:21 PM Re: unwelcomed guest
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
It occurs to me that he may just be lonely and looking for friendship. Is this possible? I am not saying that YOU should become his friend, but perhaps he is harmless. Just a different way to look at the situation.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#126769 - 08/31/07 06:46 PM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: Anno]
katebcca Offline

Yes, he may be lonely, or addicted to free blackberries:-)
For me I don't mind too much, except for the door knocking.

I worry about him knocking on the door when my kids are home and I am not. I can take care of myself but I don't like people hanging around lonely or not when I am not home so I don't want to encourage him.

We'll see how it goes. (I was molested by a very nice lonely old man when I was a kid so my antenna is always up)
Kate

#126770 - 08/31/07 07:50 PM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: katebcca]
Mountain Ash Offline

Dotsie the sign sounds brilliant.Then even if he asks again you could say Yes I keep strict bounderies.
Could you get a male family member or friend to say that you keep a no canvassing etc policy and politly tell the man not to call.You need not give any reasons.
Most of the problems I encounter have been about personal bounderies..
Today an aquaintance asked me how I was after my hospital op.She knew from my absence at church.I said I was recovering well.She then ask what was it I had done...that her friend who was a pharmacist would be interested.(I have never met this friend who was waiting in her car)The fct I was in the womens' hospital tells it was "down below"but no this woman wanted details..She did however ask me to lunch.I just cant wait girls!!!
Mountain ash

#126772 - 09/01/07 01:21 AM Re: unwelcomed guest [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Katebecca, next time this interloper shows up just pick up the phone and dial 911. Its their job to send troublesome people on their way. Let him find someones elses bush to pick from...Be safe rather than sorry. My male friend is a Homocide Detetive here in Vegas and he says we would have fewer dead women if they followed their first instincts when sensing someone or something wasn't quite right. My Uncle in Indiana also a detective has said the same thing for years.

Edited by chatty lady (09/01/07 01:24 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved