The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129316 - 10/15/07 12:37 AM Hurt again for being me.
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I just want to put this somewhere. I was again hurt because a woman told another woman that I am in contact with, after meeting me, that I was "intimidating."

I am hurt by this over and over again.

I am an educated, very experienced, entertainer. When I speak, I may speak in a tone that a singer uses or I may sound like I am easy with myself. When I stand somewhere, after a lifetime of dance, yes, I am comfortable in my body!
When I talk to a group, yes, they may life me because I am TRAINED to say the nice thing and to be good to people. I have been trained to behave like a lady in public since I was put on television and smacked for falling asleep at the age of 5!
It's not ME that these people see, it is my outside. I went to finishing school. I modeled. I am not at fault for my first impression if it scares people or "intimidates them!"
ALL my life this has hurt me because people don't get to know me, they just get jealous and hurtful! Even when I care about someone and want to help them they take me for someone I am not! NO ONE tries to see beyond the very trained outside of me!
It hurts, all the "single white females," all the jealous wives, all the problems I have joining REAL people because they only accept me on stage! HOW do I make them more comfortable? I've tried putting myself down and devalueiing myself for them but it does nothing but hurt me too!

I give up! I may end up with very few friends but what can I do? I try and try to please but it's never enough to bypass my outter image! It does hurt. I liked this woman but I guess she is "intimadated," by me and so she doesn't know if she's "good enough," as she put it, to present with me!
I want to quit. I care though and I will NOT.

This trap hurts so much.

Thank you to anyone who reads this. I just needed to get it out again. Apparently I'm "too popular," too!

Nice.

dancer9, haunted

"Question your privilege"

#129317 - 10/15/07 01:22 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well dancer, I have a similar problem. In some workplaces I am perceived as a bit aloof, distant and sometimes, a little strong/aggressive in style. I have tried to carefully reveal personal parts of me to humanize myself abit ...and also to give praise to others. The latter is something I have to consciously work at. Also sometimes, I might have to shut up ..and just listen.

Maybe similar thing for you, ...more credit, praise to others. However, there are some people who just have not had the exposure like you have where you are by training and your career, have become an outgoing, a more "public" figure than others.

As for jealousies from other women,...perhaps if I could provide my spin, as a woman who is not nature outstandingly attractive, never have been and never will be. Just lucky, to be born petite.

I cannot become jealous of other women because:

*I have always had great relatonships with my sisters, some of whom are noticeably attractive. They are all intelligent and gifted. This paves the way to all relationships with other girls and women later on through life. We never fought over looks nor over fashion. I firmly believe,a good relationship with same sex friends, begins sometimes in life, from home first.

*One of my closest friends for about 20 years...was a beauty queen contestant. She did enter Miss Canada pageant. She was also a genuinely pleasant person with no axe to grind and intelligent. She worked hard to maintain academic excellence...and also carried a waitressing job while she was in school. She eventually got her Master's degree in pharmacology and moved into a management position for a pharmaceutical giant. So through her, I learned how "normal" and other problems of women who are very attractive but also highly intelligent.

She and I have had a falling out over something totally different. But still, as a result of this friendship I had, I never considered attractive or gifted women as a threat. I knew my own strengths after all, and what I could bring to the table.

I feel sorry for some women who still in their mid-years and onward, have huge insecurities about themselves that make them jealous of some other women. Such an incredible drain of energy and time.

My only comment, you might have to sit back on certain occasions and let others vent/come forward. But my gut feeling, tells me that you have tried to do this already.

#129318 - 10/15/07 01:26 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Orchid, Thank you. I must tell you that I knew this about you already from your posts. I am so used to having to protect myself that I can sound out a person very quickly to find out if they will give me a hard time for being myself or not.
You showed yourself to be comfortable with me from the beginning, and yes, your posts to me were designed to ask ME and not my image or where I've been.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope it had nothing to do with how she presents herself but somehow I know you are much "bigger," than that. You will not judge nor avoid those who appear different, even if different is good.
I thank you for your friendship on this forum and again, I saw your colors right away. I did appreciate you coming out to talk to ME.
If all were like you my life would be lovely. I would have friends I could confide in who did not want something or to be me, or like me.
I respect you very much here and if you noticed that, it is because of the above.
Your character is strong and for that, I salute you.
dancer

Edited by dancer9 (10/15/07 01:31 AM)

#129319 - 10/15/07 01:33 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

I should add that I am a middle sister and yes, I have one sister who cannot STAND me because of who I am and what I am. It has hurt all my life. She has told me it was jealousy but she cannot get past it. She is aware she cannot get past it and is honest about it. Does this help? No. I miss having a real sister who can be there for me. I have an older sister who is a "fan." She spends her time putting up the latest poster from a show of mine, or hanging my pictures when modeling on her work cubicle. It is sad and lonely. I don't know if I could have changed this but I doubt it. My mother had issues. My mother is a beautiful woman but lacks social interest. Only my grandmother who was a model all her life took interest in me and she was the only person to even do my hair in a style when I was a little girl! My mother would dress my sisters hair and leave mine as it was! It was hard. It is hard.
Early experiences should teach us things but I spent, and sometimes spend, my time trying to get those "sisters," to accept me but the "sisters," now are women I meet. If you understand this, you can understand why I sometimes devalue myself in situations to try to get others more comfortable with me.
It has hurt me and I shan't do it again....
thanks again, Orchid.
dancer9

#129320 - 10/15/07 02:24 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Well, my mother is a complex, difficult person. But she and dear father did do the right thing at least....they never compared their children, on basis of physical beauty. But yes, occasionally there were temperament comparisons.

I do credit my mother's style of raising us as harmonious sisters...because she herself, had 4 sisters and got along with several of them. I did meet some of my aunts.

What I fought with sisters when young....was more on the intellectual front or on certain topics. Not even fashion/not chick stuff. Seriously.

Don't work so hard, dancer to please another sister. Just to have a mind that is always open to learning from others. That will carry anyone far. I am certain already there must a tiny handful of friends who have supported you for a good part of life.

#129321 - 10/15/07 01:48 PM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dancer,
This is a topic I'm not sure I can bring much wisdom, because feeling that I don't belong anywhere or am accepted for who I am has been the story of my life. Much of it does stem from history and experience of being on the outside-looking-in, some of which was due to a sheer inability to figure out what or who I needed to be in order to be acceptable to that "inside" group. And since I still sit in my basement at my computer day after day because I have no friends here to share lunch, shopping, or whatever with, it would seem that I still haven't figured it out.

But there are some things I HAVE figured out, though I'm still not so good at 'practising what I preach'. One is that each and every one of us has a very distinct, unique light & wisdom that ONLY WE are capable of shining out into the world - and the world NEEDS that light and we do a great disservice when we refuse to shine, or hide that light behind our fear of shining it. The other thing is that nobody gains when anyone else's light is made to shine brighter by diminishing another person's light...sometimes we step back in order to allow others' voices to be heard and wisdom to be spoken, but I think that we must always safeguard EVERYONE's light and voice and wisdom, including our own, from being diminished.

So in the midst of all of that tangle is this hope, that you never allow anyone to diminish you or your light in order for theirs to shine brighter - the world needs YOU & YOUR light, and you too are meant to shine bright. Your combination of history, experience, talents & gifts, wisdom and insight creates a unique voice and wisdom that nobody else can speak, and you must not allow anyone else to silence your voice or steal your joy or diminish the much-needed gift that you bring to the world. Shine. And know that it's no accident that you are who you are with all that you bring to the world...you are MEANT to shine the unique light that only you can shine!

Other people's inability to accept you is a reflection on THEIR limitations, not on you. It hurts. I know all too painfully how much it hurts. Like I said, I don't know the answer. I just know that we can't allow anyone - including our own selves - to be diminished, the world needs every ripple of light we can possibly muster.

(Maya Angelou)

#129322 - 10/15/07 11:55 PM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: Eagle Heart]
dancer9 Offline

Eagle Heart,
Your post was lovely.If only the world thought as you do! You are special and open and all of the things I can count as "good," in a person.

Here, I try to be me. No one can see me and I find I have less of an intense effect if no one can.. I belonged to another forum for some time but had problems there for being "too popular." I had woman competeing with me on posts! It was uncomfortable and soon stifled me.

If only I could be a light, Eagle Heart, I would be happy. I have been told I have a light that shines but I'm not sure. I hope I have an induvidual voice because, to me, that is an important thing in this country and this world.

I have been "down," for awhile due to illness. I am picking myself up again with a disablity now, and trying to start to speak in "my voice," and open my world again. I've no idea where this will take me but I WILL follow that road because that is who I am...I take the road that rolls out in front of me if it is true to my heart.

Thank you, Eagle Heart, for reminding me of the lights that are in people and how very important they are! I don't apply that to myself very often but do so to my students or those younger than myself. I must remember to treat myself as I treat others.

Your post lifted me up, and I'm happy you responded.

dancer9

#129323 - 10/16/07 12:23 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Orchid.
I answer you in black ink. Yes, I have had a FEW real friends who would take me through life no matter what happened. They are very, very attractive people with brains. I never got to know a person who was just attractive, as everyone is to me. I try, and it does not work. They put me in a box and label me every single time. I get excited when a "normal," person likes me, and many do, but they are full of questions about my life and I can never create that bond.
I have a close friend who is a golf professional.
I have another who is a good friend but cannot even have coffee with me because of "how it will look."
I have a very, very good friend who is very busy, he was a model for a long time and is a dancer as well.
I have one sister in law who is a phone friend who used to haved a problem when we lived in the same city with hwo I look.

that's it. Those are my friends. Everyone else is an acquaintance. I have many people who respect me and will take my calls without blinking. They are not friends though. I have people who want to be my friend until they try it and act out so I have to move away a bit from being a real friend to them.
It's really sad.
This is one of my painful points in my life and I am confessing more than I usually do EVER.
I have a LOT of people who admire me and my work. I know a LOT of people who admire me, period.

I wish they had gotten to know me.

Thank you for this outlet, Orchid. It may hurt, but seeing the truth is something I like.

My one friend who cannot have coffee with me is a psychiatrist. He trained at Mt. Sinai, (sp,) in New York and is 6'7" and attractive so he can be my friend, I suppose.
He told me that my life was about truth, art and beauty after analyzing me as shrink friends do. He also told me that he spent the first three years of our friendship trying to find a "deep flaw," in my character and could not find one. Imagine. He thought someone like me HAD to have something inherently wrong with them.

Thanks for the chance to vent!

dancer9

Edited by dancer9 (10/16/07 12:40 AM)

#129324 - 10/19/07 05:18 AM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Well, one day I hope you'll just get together with your real sisters....and just be sisters. I wish the love between amongst you as sisters was liberated...as a dove set free. May such happiness sit quietly with the 3 of you 1 day all together as a trio.

Last week, I was slightly surprised another woman in the office, tossed a slightly negative comment at me. She suggested 1 of the woman, who reported to me, maybe afraid of me.

AFterwards it occurred to me that I may be abit distant to quite a number of women at work. Friendly but distant at times. It is possible that if I am put into a role of mentoring others or supervising others or just being the "older" sister, I tend to expect the person to become their very best. Which may not be fair. I don't know. I just get abit impatient with mature but directionless women now.

But truth be, that after working for several employers, I just found it easier not to get too close. And the woman who is supposedly afraid of me...well, it must be for reaseons I don't know or don't really exist. She no longer leaves our office area to go out for lunch others. Instead she sticks around in the same office space where I am at lunch. I seldom go out to lunch with anyone. Lots of guys where I work...and the gals have their own little groups. That's ok ..for lone rangers like me.

What I'm trying to say, is being the best learning self, even though it might feel abit lonely at times, is not the worse thing either. And having those few good friends that you can rely on..is fine...even if you don't see them often. Same problem I have now..except my closest friends are thousands of kms. away.

#129325 - 10/19/07 07:51 PM Re: Hurt again for being me. [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Sounds like my life, Orchid! It is surely their loss that you have to keep your distance because you clearly have a LOT to offer in the way of friendship! I understand that you, like myself, have reasons to protect yourself from jealously, which is what is really happening if your co-workers find you intimadating.
I think it IS fair that you want employees to do their very best! It is what they pay you for and why you have your position! If everyone did do their best, our world would run smoother for sure!
I can picture you in your workplace in these conditions and I'm sorry you have to deal with those who could learn from you but decide to, for lack of a better word, Hide from you!
It's wrong for you and separates you from, as I said, giving the gifts you have to give.
Then again, you do give them something to aspire too and that is very important for people to have.
As to my sisters, it will never happen. I was asked to attend a dinner this evening at my mothers where she lives with a caretaker. I am the sibling to "show off," and the only one that will do such as thing, (show up with little notice to represent my mother at a dinner.) I go with exhaustion because I know it means putting on that "perfect show," and not being myself.
Still I do this because my mother shows her love for me as best she can and she is ill so I feel that days with her are numbered.
( My mother is a princess. Lives on a trust fund, never worked a day in her life, and has things her way.)

Life can be hard, Orchid, but I don't have to tell you. I'm sure you "represent," for someone or something very often yourself.
dancer

Best,
dancer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved