The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130343 - 10/25/07 06:29 PM Blown out Brakes
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
This is definitely a whine. This morning I was doing a few errands around town. I pulled into a small store and my brakes went to the floor. I have always, always had such a fear of losing my brakes!! Thank God (and I AM thanking Him a lot!!) that no one was walking in the parking lot, that I was going slow and that the car stopped before making an unexpected appearance in the middle of the store! I was just a mile and a half from home. Good old AAA came and brought my car and me home. It could have been sooooooo much worse and I'm just appreciating things a little more than usual this afternoon....I wasn't in traffic and the coast was clear when I sailed in without my brakes. A brake line is to blame as brake fluid was spewing out everywhere. Also, I have a hubby with a garage and lift here at home to take care of me. Whewwwwww !!!! Did I ever tell you how much I hate cars sometimes?? Poor old thing.

#130344 - 10/25/07 10:24 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: ladyjane]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Cars. Gotta love 'em, gotta hate him.

So very happy you are safe, ladyjane.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#130345 - 10/26/07 12:00 AM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh wow, Ladyjane, it cold have been so much worse. You're guardian angel was definitely on duty this day...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#130346 - 10/26/07 11:20 AM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Thanks for listening to my whine...but it scared me soooo much. Hubby got the brake lines last night and the old klunker is in his garage waiting for the repair. Just when I think I have a few extra bucks for the grocery bill, it never fails....UGHHH!!! Did I say how much I hate cars? Yeah, I know, gotta have 'em!

#130347 - 10/27/07 12:16 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Scary indeed, and you are so right to count your blessings.

Would the emergency brake have worked in this situation? Just wondering...

#130348 - 10/27/07 06:23 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: ladyjane]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Your options for emergency braking are different depending on whether you have all hydraulic brakes, or 2 drum 2 hydraulic.....always use the emergency brake in an emergency. It may or may not stop completely stop the car.

These WILL stop the vehicle:
In a stick shift vehicle, shift into first gear and pull the emergency brake.
With an automatic transmission, immediately shift the gear into PARK.

Car stopped. This works.

#130349 - 10/29/07 01:17 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: mrs_madness]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mrs madness, never thought about that. Does it wreck the car to throw it in park? I guess it could get wrecked either way, huh?

#130350 - 10/29/07 03:52 PM Re: Blown out Brakes
ladyjane Offline

Fortunately I was entering the parking lot slowly (I felt the brake give as I was turning the corner)and I would have stepped on the E brake if I had been moving too fast or had an obstacle (or worse, a person) in the way. I don't have a hand released E brake, just a step on. Throwing it into park will certainly give you a major jolt and most likely ruin the transmission....but as was said, I guess it might be better than crashing through the building!!! My poor hubby spent the weekend fighting with the car....he says it's the worst car that he's ever had to put new brake lines on!

#130351 - 10/29/07 04:07 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: ladyjane]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Down gear and turn the motor off... simply downgearing may or may not stop the car completely. It may damage the transmission, but if you're in a situation that calls for an immediate stop, a ruined transmission is the least of your worries.

I lost my brakes in a VW in the mid 70s. I hit the back of a parked car - ours. My baby rolled from the seat to the front floor board (that was before carseats and wearing seatbelts were mandatory). I stopped, but not the way I had hoped. It WAS scary. It happened in a flash.

I'm glad you had your head about you ladyjane and am so glad you are ok. But, just think, the Lord might have put you in this situation to prepare you for something bigger, or to save you from something worse - former, you are more prepared for what to do, along with being made aware of maintaining your vehicle & latter, you are getting your brakes fixed.
Blessings....

#130352 - 10/29/07 05:06 PM Re: Blown out Brakes [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Thanks gimster, my hubby told me that I should always shift into low and that would help the slow down process. Now I know. Of course, he's also the one who told me he probably would have driven it home (good for him, I say) but understood why I didn't want to try....we have a very dangerous intersection in that two mile drive home. But as you mentioned, it happens in a flash and it could have been in traffic....I definitely count my blessings that it wasn't worse! Oh gosh, I remember those 70's days of no seatbelts or car seats. I'm horrified that we thought little of it!! My baby was in a car bed in the back seat and rolled over onto the floor in 1975. It's so scary to think back on all of that. Then again, in 1979 I was in a horrific drivers side accident. I pulled out onto a dark side road after a class and a very fast car without headlights plowed into my drivers side door. I was knocked to the floor on the other side of the car and was full of glass....but alive! If I had been wearing a seatbelt....well, who knows what could have happened? Yikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved