The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 78 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#134074 - 12/09/07 08:52 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Sorry to sound like a bummer, but we do not "prepare" anything but ourselves go get THRU it w/out total depression.

I get mad at myself for "buying into" the media's way of guilt-tripping people into thinking that it's for "kids, families" etc.

When we want to give gifts, we give all year round. God showed me how to be a giver, and not ONLY at this time of year. Thank you, Lord!

So, thankfully we have a business that is very busy during this time of year that helps divert our attention. We do not go to malls or church or any events. We just get THRU it quickly.

And, come Dec 26, we are READY to move on!!

#134075 - 12/09/07 09:46 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Here I do again! But maybe Di, if you DID buy one another gifts, and DID try getting into the spirit of Christmas and DID go to church you would feel better about a lot of things. Maybe buy some games, coloring books, crayons and visit the childrens ward of a hospital, or take cookies to a veterans home, you would feel less sorry for whatever it is you feel so sorry about...

Those people would give anything to have their health and the freedom to do whatever they wanted to do to enjoy the holidays...

Want to get away from 'total depression?' Go see their smiling faces and the thanks in their eyes just to be alive one more day...

Its just that life is a one time thing, this is it, and its so sad to waste the time missing out on things that could add to life to make it worthwile.

Edited by chatty lady (12/09/07 10:39 PM)

#134076 - 12/10/07 08:59 AM Re: This holiday season [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I work about a bazillion hours per week -- or at least it feels that way -- starting 1st week in November. Craft shows, galleries, my website and people coming over to the house to buy. Usually the house sales are pretty large this time of year -- people buying all their jewelry gifts, or those needing custom jewelry to match outfits. And of course, I have to make it in order to sell it.

3 parties last week, and I'm partied out. And stuffed.

I don't celebrate Christmas (not Christian) but sometimes "adopt" a family or child for gift-giving. Usually I get extra food from the farmers' market and donate it to a shelter that serves food on Christmas.

I also belong to a spiritual group called Wisdom Circle. We meet next Monday to discuss what we as a group can do to give or volunteer in our community for the holidays.

#134077 - 12/10/07 09:02 AM Re: This holiday season [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Chatty, your wise “motherly” advice once again has hit the nail on its head. That's why you are so loved around here.

Di, I'm posting a "Thought For Today", which I found on line. Author is unknown.

The deepest wounds we all carry are locked in our subconscious (out of our awareness). Deep memories and subtle impressions, from unfinished experience, rooted in the past. The pain from those wounds comes to revisit, to block and paralyse us in the moment called now. We all know it comes without warning - "Why am I feeling this way, I didn't mean to do that, I don't know what made me say that." Healing does not mean finding and treating every single inner scar which send it message to haunt us. It means going even deeper, past those wounds, beyond those distant memories and recording of unfinished business, to the core of our self, to the heart of our spirit, where we find the light and warmth of our own core qualities of love and peace. They are eternally present within us they are what we need to heal all our inner wounds.

#134078 - 12/10/07 08:52 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is great fun to hear what everyone is doing.

Thanks for joining us Meredith!

country, what is Boxing Day?

Hannelore, how was last night? It looked beautiful. You all find such fun things to do.

ladyjane, your outdooors sound beautiful.

chatty, send some of those cookies this way!

orchid, I love calligraphy, but can't do it.

Di, i wrapped your red pepper soap for my nephew yesterday.

jane, my daughter also has a pink Christmas tree in her dorm, which she'll be bringing home for Christmas. I just love it. Ross got it for her this year.

celtic, you are blessed to still have a little one to celebrate with.

diamond, what we wouldn't do to celebrate Christmas in Hawaii!

Yesterday, after church, I did more Christmas shopping, then came home and wrapped a bit. The guys went to the Ravens game and we lost miserably. While they were wet from the rain, and miserable due to the way the Ravens played, I was comfy and warm while listening to my Godchild and his all boy high school choir sing beautiful Christmas carols. The first half was mainly hymns. It's a Cahtolic school. The second half of the show consisted of all these fun Christmas songs. Everyone in the audience was bopping along. The guys were all dressed in tuxes, over 70 of them on stage, and they all had red bow ties and carnations on their lapels. It was a real treat. This Godchild is so neat. He sings in the choir, does the school plays and also plays sports for his high school. This is most unusual because lots of boys his age choose the arts or sports, but not both.

I've done nothing to prepare for Christmas yet today. Tonight we are going to finish trimming the tree. Most of the ornaments are still sitting in the crate.

#134080 - 12/10/07 09:09 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: ]
Di Offline

Has anyone heard of the Blue Christmas services that some churches are having. I am so glad they are finally getting with the program. They need to stop sticking their heads into a cave regarding some folks who have difficult times with "this season". Check this out...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16302137/

#134081 - 12/10/07 09:12 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: ]
Di Offline

Quote:

I am hiding under a rock this season. Not trying to be a party pooper, but rather trying not to poop other people's parties. This is my first year of holidays with no family. Interspersed between the holidays was Mom's birthday. Mom and I used to go to our best friends' parties (for the most part, no alcohol) but I still feel too alone to participate.....seems the more people in the room, the more alone I feel. So I will party with my big sweet furry CAT; he is always in a great mood .

I feel for you, Anne. I've had too many Christmas' like yours. VERY hard time of year. But see my post above about some churches finally hearing us!

#134082 - 12/11/07 01:34 AM Re: This holiday season [Re: Di]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Di, That's interesting... never heard of blue Christmas services. I'd like to attend one to see how it's held.

#134083 - 12/11/07 02:48 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: gims]
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Hello friends, It's been a while since I have posted but couldn't resist this thread. I haven't started decorating this year but I do have to get my package to Germany ready today so it will get there in time! Kids will not be home this year for Christmas again.

We will be celebrating Christmas this year with 14 of our 16 grandchildren when they all gather here on 12/29. Our Navy kids from San Diego will be home one week from today. Craig, Amy and their three kids will stay with us for 12 days. That should be fun!

This year we welcomed 3 new grandbabies into the family and it will be sweet to have those three babies meeting each other for the first time. My sister will be here as well, she has had a rough year with major surgeries and another major one coming up soon. She missed Christmas with us last year so we are praying her and her kids will be able to make it to our house.

It's been a long year, depression has been bad, I have lost the desire to write and have had a hard time dealing with many issues involving our children which have been serious. We even had temporary custody of three of them for a while!

I am thankful thatI am not totally down right now. I have a lot to be thankful for, my sweet husband, my kids, and my precious grandkids.

Chatty, thanks for still thinking of me and sending me little notes and forwards even though I haven't been active here this past year.

Merry Christmas to all my friends!

Sherri
www.christianstoryteller.com

#134084 - 12/11/07 05:31 PM Re: This holiday season [Re: Sherri]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Dotsie, Boxing Day is the 26th December. It gets it's name from the days of domestic servants in big houses over here. The servants had to work through Christmas Day but got the next day off and were given boxes(gifts) from their employers - hence 'Boxing Day'. It's a recognised holiday here in the UK.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved