The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134388 - 12/10/07 08:18 PM Question
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Hi Ladies,
I am sorry for your loss and this Christmas I plan to invite anyone I can find that is on their own for dinner. I hope you find a way to be with family or friends.

Question: My Dad recently passed away. My Mom does not seem to be bothered by it at all. She packed up all of his things and is getting rid of them rapidly. They had never really been happy and it was especially trying in the past 5 years as my Dad was confined to a wheel chair due to an amputation of one of his legs.

Is her behaviour normal? I am concerned that she is in denial or something. She says it doesn't seem to bother her. He only passed away two weeks ago and she says it seems much longer than that.

I am devastated and can't understand her behaviour or lack of emotion.

Just wondering if this is normal. Have you experienced similar? Is she in for a break down. Or is it just that the stress of their relationship was too much for her and now she feels relief?

I am concerned and would like to know from people who have been there.
Thanks,
Kate

#134389 - 12/11/07 01:15 AM Re: Question [Re: katebcca]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Kate, some couples stay together and support one another because they respect and adhere to the vows they made long ago. Its what the women and men use to do. Possibly as you say the relationship was one of respect but I'll add, without love or passion, and when he passed away the relief was greater than the loss to her. Thats 'normal' in some cases and it is her right to embrace that relief. She may cry alone, remembering the good times of their youth so don't worry about her. It sounds like she is mentally healthy and handling things as she needs to be. Be there for her if need be and leave her to her own kind of grief. So sorry for the loss of your father...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#134390 - 12/11/07 01:25 AM Re: Question [Re: chatty lady]
katebcca Offline

My Mom had no respect for my Dad. She put him down constantly. But I get your point.
Kate

#134391 - 12/11/07 07:16 AM Re: Question [Re: katebcca]
katebcca Offline

I spoke with my Mom tonight. I really think she is not dealing with things and is putting the grieving process off by keeping busy getting rid of things.

I suggested she talk to the women at a craft group she goes to (they are all widows) as they have been there. And she did mention one of the ladies said she didn't feel anything either and then it hit her hard. That's what I'm afraid of. She feels guilty that she doesn't feel anything and I told her she shouldn't.

I know she is depending on me more as she calls everyday now instead of once every few days so I will do my best to be there for her.
Kate

#134392 - 12/11/07 08:51 AM Re: Question [Re: katebcca]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Kate, I think this is a tricky question. If your Mom was unhappy with your dad, and he was disabled, it could very well be that she feels “free” for the first time in a long time. I’m sure she has lots of emotions to deal with, and they could be laming her. In any case, you’re right that she shouldn’t suffer under guilt; she can’t control her feelings, they are what they are, and life goes on.

With all due respect, it’s not without reason that the operetta, “Merry Widow” is and will remain a brilliant masterpiece.

#134393 - 12/11/07 11:42 AM Re: Question [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
You may never find out everything that's going on in your mom's heart and head, Kate. I've found out that learning things can only bring more questions, anyway, so ultimately just being there is what will help her (and you) the most. I hope it all proves to be a healthy and loving adjustment.

#134394 - 12/11/07 12:54 PM Re: Question [Re: gims]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Everybody deals with loss in their own way. Maybe in her mind and heart the marriage died a long time ago (I'm thinking this because she said it seemed longer than two weeks). Like everyone else she's probably going to go thru several stages in the grieving process and for her the first reaction may just be relief that she no longer has to care for a disabled spouse. My husband is a quadraplegic confined to a wheelchair and I know firsthand how trying it can be at times. She may even be feeling guilty because of her own lack of emotion. But don't be surprised if it does hit her somewhere down the road. She may very well be in denial right now and if so -- then that's her way of dealing with it.
My Dad passed away over 20 years ago and to be honest I can't remember my mother ever expressing a whole lot of emotion over it. But then again I can't remember my mother ever showing a whole lot of emotion over anything -- and it's taken me a long time to understand that that's just her way. My mother also packed up and got rid of Dad's things quickly and at the time I remember thinking how surprised I was at how quickly she seemed ready to move on. My mom is 85 now and I still have a hard time understanding her and her lack of emotion and I have a very hard time dealing with her (I am not at all happy about the state of our relationship -- it's never been close -- but have finally come to the conclusion that I cannot change her and can only change how I think/feel about her and I'm not being too successful in that department either). I try to be there for her when she needs me which is about all you can do.
My sympathies about your loss.

#134395 - 12/12/07 10:33 AM Re: Question [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Crossstitch, great to hear you voice again. I still have my snowmen magnets you made and sent last year. They're adorable. Did you make any others this season?

Sorry to change the topic. I was just happy to see you.

#134396 - 12/12/07 12:41 PM Re: Question
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hey Dotsie!
No more snowmen magnets this year, but a bunch of other stuff! Blankets, embroidered towels, beaded keychains.........sewing and crafting are my mental therapy I think!
I may not post often, but I check out what's happening here just about every day!!

#134397 - 12/19/07 01:01 AM Re: Question [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ann, do you sell any of your stuff? I would love some embroidered towels. PM me.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved