The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#138767 - 01/21/08 11:35 PM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: chatty lady]
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
Quote:

I write of SISTERHOOD from my heart, now we hear of oppression, sorry but I don't see oppression here. No, we do not always agree with one another but try to be open in our dialogue with each other...

OPPRESSION: means to govern in a cruel or arbitrary way, or to weigh heavily upon...Nope, doesn't fit here at BWS at all!

I fear the intent of my original post has been misunderstood. As I stated:

"Please do not misunderstand that I feel there are women oppressing women here. I found the website very informative, I now have a heightened interest in understanding more about women's relations."

I was referring to "women's relations" in the broad spectrum, not women at BWS.

I have had other women (not here at BWS) voice their objection to the word "oppression." All I can say is, I, personally, did not come up with the phrase "women oppressing women."

I apologize if I have offended anyone.

#138768 - 01/22/08 12:56 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: NYWoman]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
As I said, NY, I thought you meant to help. I was afraid you read one thread and got a totally wrong feeling for this forum. I'm glad that was not the case. I love your blog.

#138769 - 01/22/08 01:11 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: Louisa]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi NY, if I can jump in here, for me, I was not offended so much as confused, and I am glad you clarified. Thank you for popping in to be clear. I am interested in your pic (why are they called Avatars?) to me it looks like a hippie chick dancing at a Grateful Dead concert or at Woodstock. However, my once perfect eye sight is not so clear these days. Your alter ego as you said?

#138770 - 01/22/08 01:24 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: NYWoman]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Oh my goodness, NY Woman, that is so incrediably true! Women DO oppress other woman all of the time! A sisterhood is the last thing on most womens minds!

I have worked with woman all of my life. Dancers, Models, and in production. Producers are business minded and they, too, are oppressing towards each other! They have no problem running over each other one day and saying hello to their victim the next!

I just posted about it on my site.

I believe women can do a much better job of opening doors for other women. If we have a "connection," that will help another woman, why not share it?
If we have knowledge that might help another woman, why not share it?
Do we have to cling to what is ours with all our claws? Do we have to be almost afraid of one another to feel safe?
No.
We can be friends, comrades, sisters and REALLY mean it. We don't trust each other enough at all. We are led into competition by comparing ourselves to others and from there it is down hill.

This is a major hard pill for me to swallow. When I am in production I say in my first staff meeting, "You will NOT put one another down and work for me." "You will NOT sabotage one another and work for me."

I would not say it if it had not happened SO many times before my eyes.

My Gawd, if I had a quarter for every woman who tried to block my way I would have enough to forget about saving money! It's bad out there, girls and if you work with a lot of women, it shows like a beacon! The men sit back and watch us do it! It's a sad truth I am not afraid of!

Dotsie attempts here to do the opposite, to create a group of women who HELP one another. This is why I stay here.

Can't we all get along?

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#138771 - 01/22/08 02:30 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: dancer9]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Dotsie attempts here to do the opposite, to create a group of women who HELP one another. This is why I stay here.

That's why we ALL stay here, and most of us do our best and pour our hearts, time, energy and care into helping Dotsie create and sustain this community, this sisterhood. Every woman that I have gotten to know here over the years has brought her own unique beauty, wisdom, insight and ability here, not to oppress or diminish anyone else, but to help, support and encourage one another.

The words don't always come out the way everyone wishes they would, and at some point we have to lay down the mistrust and inclination to colour the words with inflections and tones that the poster never intended to speak - this community works because we dare to trust that we're ALL here trying to keep this place safe, positive and supportive for every woman who gathers here to share her voice and wisdom.

It's impossible that every expectation and need will be met, but it IS possible to find safe common ground if we keep an open heart and mind and trust that we are all here for the right reason.

I speak entirely from personal experience, because when I first came here, I had a really hard time with trust because of my lifelong negative experience with other women (starting with my own mother). I almost left many times because I kept reading more into the posts than was there - but at some point I realized (I think the women here helped me to reach that realization) that I had no right to do that, to see hidden agendas and underlying currents of hostility in other people's posts when the problem was my own insecurity and mistrust. Once I decided to shake off my ever-present paranoia and dare to trust, I found an amazing treasure trove of very wise, loving, caring women who are just like me in their desire to find better ways to connect and communicate with each other.

I haven't been able to find a group of women friends out there in the real world that I can trust to this level - there IS a lot of competition and diminishing and negative energy that I can't handle - but this place and these women are teaching me how to be a better me so that I can be a better participant in one of those groups someday...for now, this is home.

(Maya Angelou)

#138772 - 01/22/08 03:23 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Oh Eagle, thank you for sharing your journey to trust in this community. You have been very honest, especially in stating the lesson that you learned that you "had no right to do that." I had a sense of trust from the beginning. Only once did I not trust another. (Funny how that happened after spending a week with my parents!) . I learned that when I trust, the one I am trusting is trusting me to trust her. By me thinking that she had ill-intent, I hurt her. We since kissed and made up. Only once do I know of that I have not been trusted, and that hurt, so I've learned from both sides of the same coin, so to speak. Trust is golden. I've been on other sites with wounded women, as a support to those who suffered abuse. I could not take how trust could not develop, even though I was in that place of distrust some time ago. At some point, for personal and spiritual growth, it is a matter of "dare to trust." On the other hand, as you say, I don't find women in the real world that I am so open with. Being open is vulnerable, and I don't always want to be at risk. Eagle flew home to this nest of women. L, PL

Edited by Princess Lenora (01/22/08 03:30 AM)

#138773 - 01/22/08 03:39 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: Princess Lenora]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I have to take this slightly off-course, just briefly, to tell a story about not trusting someone. This was someone very significant. We didn't get along for many years, and that caused significant ripples within the family. I kept bringing it to prayer, and finally one day, the answer came: "you keep treating him as if he's your enemy. Start treating him as if he's NOT out to get you." It was hard, but I did, I stopped going into his home with my defences armed and ready, and I stopped reacting to him as if everything he said or did was a deliberate intent to hurt me. The change was amazing and almost immediate. I was stunned to realize that once I allowed myself to trust that his intentions were just like mine - to try and get along - we did get along. He paid me a beautiful compliment yesterday, something I could not have imagined hearing a year or so ago.

It opened my eyes to all the other encounters and circumstances that I enter into with my defences up and my mind firmly convinced that they're out to get me. In fact, nobody is out to get me (well, some say that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you - but I choose now to believe that they're not), and most people are just as scared of confrontation and hostility as I am. Daring to trust is a powerful healer - opens doors and allows the other to be trustworthy.

(Maya Angelou)

#138774 - 01/22/08 03:58 AM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

This is a major hard pill for me to swallow. When I am in production I say in my first staff meeting, "You will NOT put one another down and work for me." "You will NOT sabotage one another and work for me."

I would not say it if it had not happened SO many times before my eyes.

My Gawd, if I had a quarter for every woman who tried to block my way I would have enough to forget about saving money! It's bad out there, girls and if you work with a lot of women, it shows like a beacon! The men sit back and watch us do it! It's a sad truth I am not afraid of!

Can't we all get along?

Dancer9

Dancer, that's great that you lay out those rules at the beginning of your meetings. Some people have to be told upfront of the rules, for the team to work well. Maybe no one told them, when they were kids...

My preference is to meet women face to face to discuss toughter/controversial topics since non-verbal gestures and tone inflections can't be expressed well online.

I do have a great but tiny group of female face-to-face close friends where I've known each gal individually, not as a group, and trust each gal trememdously. And not surprisingly these people have known me almost last 30 years. Unfortunately they are faraway but just knowing I could pick up the phone if I had major personal crises/ event, I could unload without wasting time explaining my personal history. And I have done this for 2-3 major serious events in life where I so badly needed objective /constructive opinions and a big listening ear.

And for women, I must not forget my real sisters in my family. I do trust all 4 of them (and my brother). I would trust any one of them to handle my finances, personal matters...I know not all blood sisters are like this. I am incredibly blessed for face-to-face or by phone support.

I look to this forum for its range of women where some of you are quite different from my face-to-face friends. I'm not even sure I would have initiated in longish dialogue if I met some of you. Sometimes the Internet is useful, if the person honestly expresses their thoughts, you can know part of a person's heart.

Could I ever have met a real professonal dancer face-to-face to engage in long dialogue??? I don't know. The closest fit is meeting working artists face-to-face.

But it's been a great journey so far here on BWS forum!

#138775 - 01/22/08 06:32 PM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: Eagle Heart]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I agree, Eagle Heart, that this place is a home and the women here are extraordinary. I, for example, had a personality difference with one person as will happen in families, after all, as we say on stage, "You can't be loved by everyone!

I wanted to say that this place has given me the opportunity to ask and understand women that are different from me. I am enjoying that so!

A dancer and a singer do not talk. Before you know it, you do not know how to express yourself to others. It happens to all dancers so we appear to float about and not make friends with anyone. The truth is that we don't know how to play a game, a fun one, to know someone and we don't know the complex thing that is relationships. We only know to speak the truth and have spent our entire lives in a dance studio, "shutting up," and learning to talk through our bodies. It would be easy to SHOW you, for example, how i feel. But to tell, I need help.

This forum gives me that help. Although my posts can be unusual, I'm guessing, at least they listen to them and post back as if I am one of you all.

This is why I returned to this forum with its open minded women who chose to trust me. For this, I a blessed.

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#138776 - 01/22/08 07:39 PM Re: Women Oppressing Women [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
NYWoman, I enjoyed the link you provided. Very interesting reading. I could identify with the definitions and saw some previous co-workers and behaviors. It was so real I looked for their name to be beside the description. Uncanny. I believe this is very much alive, sadly.

Some people feel they are "oppressed" so they become the Oppressor! Do you agree? They actually act towards others what they dislike about themself the most. I'm not saying its right, just that it happens.

Does that make sense? Or have you witnessed this? Also, some people LOVE being the victim and are comfortable in their misery, so if you try to lift them up, they will become aggressive and again...the oppressor. Just my experience. Thanks for posting this interesting link!

Good food for thought.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved