The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139293 - 01/24/08 07:43 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I don't know about any of you, but I'm sitting in this love fest with the tissues....I feel touched beyond belief at this very moment. I can't explain it but don't need to...I don't think.

#139294 - 01/24/08 08:01 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Mountain Ash, the last term before my daughter became to ill with her liver disease..she went to school. She was in the 4th gr. The kids here start school at age 7. Her teacher..she had just one main teacher, was an angel. She had the guts to have Susan in her class and yes, monitor her, as you did with your students. I hope that you understand the ENORMOUS thing you did for your students and their parents. Because, I believe that it does take GUTS to have a terminally ill student in your care. And the parents also..not everyone can manage that.BUT it´s so IMPORTANT to the student so that they can think of something else and feel "normal" for a time. And yes, go on learning because if anyone knows how precious that is..it is these children for whom live is short and their parents.There are very few people out there who dare to "connect" with this type of situation..I experience this even today after all the years that have gone by. That is why this connection that I have made with you here on this thread is so precious also.

I still see Susan´s alittle cowered back, in her green loden coat, as she went off to school in the morning. I went with her a short way and then she went off alone.And I stood watching her... thinking, crying. She always turned around..almost at the of the bottom of the hill..and waved to me. Moments that can never be erased. When she died, the school waved the Swedish and American flags at half mast at the school. Her school time wasn´t just a dream..she was bullied there, too, because of her color..a deep yellow near the end, and her pouting tummy. But when I went to her class and explained to the kids..she had an ok time. The kids could take it in..whatever it was I said to them that day.

Yes, we are practically neighbors, Mountain Ash!!! I like that feeling..seriously!

#139295 - 01/24/08 08:10 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: humlan]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Mountain Ash, your daughter´s name is Susan? Do you remember my dear friend who lost her husband this past May? I wrote about her here to get some help and support? Her name is Susanne too..that´s the Swedish version.

I may be missing something here about your daughter, Susan..something that I cannot know as I haven´t been around here so long..but please don´t answer anything that you don´t want to. I know that you won´t...

Elisabeth K. Ross was my mainstay during the hardest times of my life. I know her well...

#139296 - 01/24/08 08:14 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: humlan]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have so many memories...D..in class tring to cook nose on the chopping board her sight was going. and not having the stamina and then forgetting a word..She was highly intelligent
She won a raffle and needed an extra pair of hands to manage.So her Mum D. and I went off to London.This was in the early days.Me managing to get to the front of the queue at Madame Tussauds ..being a manager .one look told the guard was was up healthwise.In Harrods having coffee.Looking at the crown jewels.All the time knowing time was short.But something drove me and coping was as much an achiement as getting my degree was.Just in a different more important way.Going to London from Scotland took six hours took me away from my loved ones but I felt it was an act where lasting memories were made.Knowing Anno is there made me recall this trip.
The other students also..many memories.One G. is a dear part of my life..another day perhaps.And C. the lad..handsome clever and such a loss.Others worked with them also dont think I was alone..
MA

#139297 - 01/24/08 08:17 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: humlan]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Humlan, LadyJane, Mountain Ash...hugs all around. HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG.

#139298 - 01/24/08 08:19 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

My Susan is well..as yet unmarried a primary teacher and now a college lecturer.Preparing other to teach. She is a talented woman and very loving.She is fortunate to have a good brain and has studied hard.She is a Christian and sponsers a childs education.I am moved that you ask about her..She is well travelled unlike me who is a home bird.
MA

#139299 - 01/24/08 08:26 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
MA...I'm so glad your daughter, Susan, is well and doing so well. I'm sorry to hear about what you went through with your students. But, know that because of you, their lives were made easier despite what they were facing. MA...it takes a special kind of person to do what you've done and now your daughter, Susan, is stepping into the teaching profession like you...how lucky this world is to have you both. I want to thank you and Humlan for sharing so much today on this forum. I've made an extra-special connection today with three beautiful ladies...Humlan, LadyJane and Mountain Ash...how special is that? Life is good and I'm blessed . Let the love fest continue!!! HUGS HUGS HUGS

#139300 - 01/24/08 08:27 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Wow, Mountain Ash, you must be a very proud mum! She sounds like a gem, a real gift to this world.

#139301 - 01/24/08 08:31 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

Humlan
what your Susan had..the bullying ..these children I knew this happened too.The lad had no hair and wore a cap.Another boy knpcked it off and some onlookers watched and laughted.The incontinent students all had things said and how I deal with is the HIDDEN CURICULUM where I was he go between.I also did the routine medical treatment and emmergency aid for a school of 1000. The respect I gained helped the infirm students be accepted.And importantly in the following years when the children grow they carry the memory of the ill children into their future.They will have memories and understand better that their actions were wrong.We had such a diverse unit of children that I learned so much...its was my job to integrate the mainstream with the phsically impaired.I loved my working days.I did this for 17 years.
MA

#139302 - 01/24/08 08:37 PM Re: One Tiny Strand of Hope [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have opened my heary during this topic.I have previously kept tight bounderies due to the openness of a forum
Thank you Humlan who in your sorrow allowed this sharing.
And the fellow posters..you are so special.
MA

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved