The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145293 - 03/24/08 11:44 PM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
wow,we're so protected here in Vancouver. I didn't realize ottawa was hit with so much snow.

Do keep up with your tai chi exercises.

#145294 - 03/25/08 06:25 AM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh Eagle, that would depress me as well, coming from sunny beaches to shoulder deep snow. Try squinting your eyes a little towards the sun, and imagine the snow as white sand dunes. And just behind them are those long beautiful waves rolling onto the beach. Hear them?

I do that sometimes when looking over the wheat fields waving in the wind. They look like waves, and I think, so this is what it’s like to live in a waterfront home. This may sound ridiculous, but it makes me feel happy. I guess it’s all about where the head is at.

#145295 - 03/25/08 01:33 PM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: Edelweiss]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Yes. We came home a similar scene. What a shock. It's 18 degrees here this morning. Burrrrrr...

#145296 - 04/08/08 11:43 PM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Well, the snow's almost all melted, crocuses and daffodil greens are shooting up through the earth, the sun is shining warmer and it just smells like spring, finally.

I'm feeling so much better these days, much brighter and even more energy. I've been taking 25mg of 5-HTP every morning for almost two weeks now; it seems like such a small amount to make any difference, but all I can say is that I no longer feel that brutal edge of grief that's been cutting into me and crippling me for over a year now. I feel more motivated to putter CREATIVELY around the house, not just doing what has to be done (i.e., cleaning), but rearranging our photo wall, baking for hubby, etc.

I don't know if it's the 5-HTP...the other thing that happened in the last two weeks was the first anniversary of my brother's death...in a way, that was a huge weight off of my heart to see that day come and go. We gave Gary a three-shrimp salute, and after that I resolved to focus on getting my life back. But I had been on 5-HTP for almost a week by that point...so was it the 5-HTP, the passing of the anniversary, the arrival of spring, or a mixture of all three?

I'll stay on 5-HTP for awhile longer, and if this feeling of well-being continues, I'll try discontinuing it in 2-3 months to see what happens. For now, it does seem to be helping to boost me enough to make a good difference. And no side effects whatsoever.

BTW, the decision to take only 25mg came from researching 5-HTP on the web. I read many accounts of people who had taken the maximum dosage (300mg, if I recall correctly) and all experienced uncomfortable side effects. Some of those people had tried different dosages, and found the best results at 25mg first thing in the morning, before breakfast. It might not be enough for everyone, but it seems to be working for me for now.

(But just as a disclaimer, I was NOT clinically depressed...and do not recommend this product as an alternative to prescribed anti-depressants without consulting a qualified doctor and/or therapist.)

(Maya Angelou)

#145297 - 04/09/08 08:22 PM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I'm laughing at the end of your post. It sounds like one of those commercials. What a riot.

I think the melting of the snow, the peeping flowers and the increase in temperature may have lots to do with it too. Whatever it is, it's a great combination if it's working.

I'm glad you have the year behind you, though it's hard to believe it's been a year. That's amazing.

I recall all the little firsts in that year following Mom's death. They were harder to contemplate, than the actual. Christmas was Mom's favorite holiday. That first Christmas was something I fretted for months. Preparing for it was hard, but the day itself was busy with family and I obviously missed Mom and thought of her often, but the anticipation was worse. I can't get her out of my head while doing certain things for the holidays becasue so many of the traditions we do as a family, were ones I did with Mom when I was growing up.

#145298 - 04/09/08 09:50 PM Re: 5-HTP?
Eagle Heart Offline

Today was tough...I was cleaning out my filing cabinet for the first time since Gary died last March. Just never had the energy to do it. Everything was piled up around the cabinet, so I just started sorting and filing and tossing and shredding...felt good...until I came across a beautiful letter that Gary had written to me midway through his illness, thanking me for all that I was doing to help him. He was so full of hope, so sure he was going to recover and expressed such a strong desire to survive...it really hit hard...

(Maya Angelou)

#145299 - 04/11/08 09:22 AM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: Eagle Heart]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
ouch eagle that type of stuff always will hit hard, I gess it qwas tough or a mixture of emotions when you were reading it?

#145300 - 04/11/08 12:27 PM Re: 5-HTP? [Re: celtic_flame]
Eagle Heart Offline

Hi Celtic, it was just tough to read his determination and confidence in surviving...knowing how the story ends.

But I keep hearing him tell me "it's over, I'm okay now", so I had my little cry, stored the letter away in the little memory box I made for him (over the years I've made up a memory box for my Dad, Mom, aunt and now Gary) and am moving on. I've decided to clean up my old computer (not that old really, but Gary gave us a beautiful new one last Christmas) and give it to a local woman's shelter. So that will keep me busy and out of trouble for a few days!

This morning I upped my dosage of 5-HTP to 50mg...I had planned to do it earlier, but wanted to be close to home when I did, in case I get high-wired like some other people have experience. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved