The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#14638 - 08/26/04 10:26 PM dealing with aging body parts
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a whole other topic about loss. Anyone dealing with the loss of functioning body parts?

I've had shoulder surgery, knee surgery and facial surgery, all on the left side. I sleep on that side so getting the pillows arranged for my numb ear and achey shoulder is a little tricky. Is this crazy or what? [Eek!]

Trust me, I'm not complaining because I have no problems sleeping, I can hear, and use my knee and shoulder. It's just funny adjusting to this aging body.

#14639 - 08/27/04 01:19 AM Re: dealing with aging body parts
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I guess this qualifies. My cells no longer want to accept the insulin my Pancreas produces thus the insulin floats around in my blood making my sugar out of wack, which causes other major problems. To control this I either have to take pills or eat next to nothing and certainly none of the things I truly love. I am sooo limited by what I can eat I may as well sew my mouth shut. I love food, am a gourmet cook and have relied on food for most of my social and psychical needs, not healthy I know but it worked for me. Now instead of food being my body's friend its my body's enemy. Boo-hoo!! [Frown]

#14640 - 08/27/04 03:53 AM Re: dealing with aging body parts
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I swear, all I do is patch and repair my body anymore. I get one thing fixed and something else falls apart. Today, my left knee is all kinked up and I don't have a clue why. It's not like I went dancing last night!

I have arthritis in my right shoulder, that acts up when it gets cooler. My cholesterol is elevated and I can't take Lipitor because I had serious reactions to it. I'm getting these wonderful little "skin tags" on my neck, brown sun spots on my face and lines on my chest!

I thought my butt had disappeared but I found it on the back of my thighs. My knees are baggy and I don't care how much I work out and stay muscular, the skin that covers the muscle is still getting crinkly and aged! I think the warranty on my body has expired! [Eek!]

#14641 - 08/27/04 08:44 AM Re: dealing with aging body parts
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I seem to go from one problem to the next, and they take forever to heal. Yesterday morning my lower back went out big time, and I didn't do ANYTHING!! After still being in major pain today, dizzy and couldn't even sit up (I tried for an entire hour, and had to lie down cuz of pain -- finally was able to get up) I went into emergency room. The good news is, X-rays showed my spine to be structurally OK. The bad news is: AGE [Mad]

I remember doing all kinds of crazy stuff when I was younger, stuff that SHOULD have caused injury, but never did -- or if it did, it healed in no time flat. Now I have chronic back pain, degenerative arthritis, and an assortment of other annoying junk. Plus the crinkly neck, spreading mid-section, and deeply etched smile lines. I think I could live with the cosmetic aging if I didn't have the pain.

#14642 - 08/27/04 01:00 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Speaking of being out of whack...I talked with SMILES last night. On top of her laptop being out of commission, She's been having a great deal of pain in her legs and back and the doctor thinks she may have some sort of neurological problem. Said she's tried to ignore it, but it just got so bad she couldn't. He thought it was a problem stemming from the wreck she had, but now he thinks it's something else. She sees a neurologist Sept 1 and will let us know the results.

SMILES said to tell everyone HELLO and that she misses you all! (especially me...no joke...she DID TOO say that...you can't prove she didn't...besides, would I lie?)

Hurry home SMILES!

JJ

#14643 - 08/27/04 04:36 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm sorry to hear about smile! [Mad] I corresponded with her last week and she didn't mention this. Now when I think of her I'll offer up prayers. Thanks queenie.

Meredith, learning age is the culprit is a mixed blessing. Not that you want anything to be wrong with you, but when it's something that can be fixed, you feel better. This growing old is for the birds. Hope you're getting around better today.

Dianne, you're a nut. I laughed so hard when I read your post. My legs have fallen and before I get sun on them, they look like large curd cottage cheese. [Eek!] After I get sun, they look like large curd cottage cheese with sun. I love capris! [Razz]

#14644 - 08/27/04 06:14 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Love going out to smiles. That's scary. Poor thing, I hope everything is fine and okay and please keep us posted and give her a hug from me.

I took my girlfriend out for her 50th birthday years ago and we danced the night away. She had to go to her chiropractor the next day, her back was so messed up!

I used to wear stilettos (sp) all day long. Made my legs look better. Now, one evening of wearing any kind of heel makes my back ache for two days.

Someone pointed this out to me and I'm finding it's the truth: When we hit our 50's we begin to talk and compare physical ailments and when we hit our 60's we talk and compare what drugs we're taking to combat them. I've caught myself doing this and it's pretty ugly! [Mad]

Yes Dotsie, tan cellulite looks better than white. But then, my legs...I have to hide the varicose veins that are taking root. Geesh.

#14645 - 08/27/04 08:59 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
i'm getting a tee shirt that says

HONK IF PARTS FALL OFF [Smile]

#14646 - 10/17/04 08:01 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
Transitionalgirl Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I love that bumper sticker - LOL! For five years I've been battling with degenerating disks, poor posture from years of desk sitting and lack of strength in my back & abs ("my core" is the current lingo I guess), and bad feet that I thought were just my lot in life. It's a long story and probably very similar to other folks', but I guess the point I want to make is, it's never to late to feel better. And the more you can do without medication, the better.

Here's what I've done, and altho none are magic bullets, and all cost both money and time, what they've given back to me in feeling less like a 90 yr old, is more than worth it.

1) I pay attention. If something hurts, I rest it, ice it, stretch it, or exercise it. Sometimes all at once. I no longer work thru the pain, or just pop a Tylenol.

2) I found a wonderful massage therapist, and I see her religiously every three weeks. She not only works out the knots, she gives me great advice on how to use ice and heat, neat stretches, nutritional stuff and just basically empowers me.

3) I get regular adjustments with a good chiropractor. It's not for everyone, and I know many are afraid or don't believe, but there are good and bad "bone crackers" out there, just like any profession. I recently found a 2nd chiro, who works at my gym, who adjusts just my feet and hands, becuz my regular chiro doesn't. All my life I figured my feet were beyond help (I have very short toes that don't take enuf of the weight, have had bunions and a bone in my right foot straightened) but Ed believes I can recover enough to be able to walk longer distances and maybe, fingers crossed, even run again.

4) I joined a gym, and try my best to go regularly. The stronger and more flexible I get, the younger I feel, and the less I need to take painkillers and anti-inflammatories. There are plenty of young hardbodies there, but also many seniors and at 47, I figure I can be a fit and strong senior some day too.

5) Attitude is everything. I've been blessed with basically good health. I don't have any heart/blood pressure/diabetes or life threatening disease issues. It's just the chassis that's wearing out. I try, even on my 'ow-y' days, to count my blessings, push myself to move, and see the beauty all around me. I also try to remember to thank God for all he's given me.

Hang in there ladies - I think you are all very courageous!

Julia

#14647 - 10/17/04 08:12 PM Re: dealing with aging body parts
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Dear T-girl,

You are an inspiration. At a time when I have been lamenting about aging (mostly my husband) I am hanging on to your thoughts to see me through. Thank you.

Lynn

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved