The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#158051 - 08/29/08 10:07 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
PS, Danita, it's really good to hear your voice here again. As for the meatloaf, I don't measure anything, so it would be hard to put a user-friendly recipe together. But I'll work on it and see if I can at least put together some approximate quantities.

(Maya Angelou)

#158098 - 08/30/08 03:12 AM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
MEATLOAF RECIPE

3 to 4 lbs. of ground round, lean OR turkey
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian, or plain breadcrumbs
Small onion chopped.
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 small green pepper, diced fine.
1/2 cup of catsup OR a half can of stewed tomatoes, drained well.
salt & pepper to taste.

Instructions...

In a large bowl, place meat, breadcrumbs and all other ingredients and mix well with your hands.

Form into a ball and press to shape into a loaf.

Place on a piece of well sprayed (PAM) aluminum foil. Seal, then place in pan and put into the oven for about two hours on 350*. Check after half an hour and if there is any grease, drain it The leaner the meat, the less grease will need to be drained...
When it looks done, tear top aluminum foil off and spread ketshup on top, and allow to cook for another 15 minutes.

Great with mashed potatoes, and green beans with cold peeled and sliced cucumber and diced onions, mixed with sour cream, Make the night before, the colder the better. Needs pepper too.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#158109 - 08/30/08 06:25 AM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
chatty, have you ever put jalapenos in your meatloaf, not to the point of overkill, but a tad to taste... ummmm, ummm good.

I put bread and crackers in my meatloaf, and cook with ketchup on top.

#158124 - 08/30/08 12:43 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

My Dad's "secret" recipe for his BBQ hamburgers is much cherished in our family. I've been working for years to try and put ingredients together to match his, because he never told anyone or wrote it down.

The big secret combo appears to be: paprika, chili powder, cumin, worchester sauce and BBQ sauce (I used a cracked-pepper flavoured BBQ sauce) added right into the meat mixture (I use the same BBQ as a glaze on top). He may have put cayenne pepper in as well, but I have a reaction to it, so don't add any. The paprika was the big surprise. We bought a big tin of it in Budapest Hungary last year and I've been throwing paprika into everything (baked beans, spaghetti sauce, beef stew and chili). We've really liked the flavour it adds. So earlier this year I threw it into the meatloaf...it made an amazing difference! Now we think that the paprika might be the missing ingredient.

(Maya Angelou)

#158128 - 08/30/08 01:00 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The only time I've used paprika was to sprinkle it on the top of
deviled eggs and potatoe salad, that's interesting: A spicy
ingredient.

#158130 - 08/30/08 01:01 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Woops! Potato: just call me a quail!

#158132 - 08/30/08 01:06 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

It is spicy. We buy the sweet paprika (the hot one is too hot for us). After having enjoyed the stuff from Budapest, we can't go back to the stuff we used to buy. So I special-order the Hungarian sweet paprika from an online seasoning store. In fact, this year I'm ordering a few tins of it to give away as Christmas gifts to the people on my list who enjoy cooking.

(Maya Angelou)

#158139 - 08/30/08 02:10 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I wish I knew more about spices and how to use them. Growing up I was not an experimental cook...well, unless you count trying to cook french fries in water...(don't try this at home).

But this sounds interesting. My ex always made his own BBQ sauce. As I recall, he used butter, chili powder, ketchup, Worcestershire's sauce, and garlic poweder...I'm sure there were more ingredients. Bought the only thing he did right...LOL!

#158148 - 08/30/08 04:34 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Years (how about a lifetime!) ago, when I was working as a live-in nanny, the children's mother bought me a copy of a magazine which had a removable detailed chart of just about every food you can imagine and what spices/herbs to use with those foods. It's an amazing guide, which I still have in sheet protectors in my binder recipe book. That's how I initially learned what goes with what.

But once I became familiar with the basics, I enjoyed experimenting. My greatest tool is my own nose - I sniff whatever's cooking on the stove, then sniff the spice, and if my nose likes the two smells together, I toss the spice in. It works! I have often smelled the simmering food, then smelled a spice and been so turned off by the combo that I know not to throw that particular spice in. You have to have a sensitive nose, which I do and hubby doesn't, so the sniff-method works for me, but not for him.

(Maya Angelou)

#158155 - 08/30/08 06:20 PM Re: Another Unexpected Grief Trigger [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What an interesting chart. I would love to see a copy of it. Is that possible? If not, may a thousands mustard seeds invade your garlic powder...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved