The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#151075 - 06/13/08 05:56 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

My heart is with you continually, Eagle. Your words always inspire me and make me think. I find it so hard to respond to your posts, tho. Whatever I say never feels adequate. I know this is my issue, no one elses. I know you will continue to heal in your own special way. Go forward with love and grace. Ann

Ann, I believe that no kindness is ever "inadequate". Your thoughts, care and presence mean more than you know and ripple light and hope into my heart.

(Maya Angelou)

#151076 - 06/13/08 06:44 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Eagle Heart]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Mountain Ash, the piece is wonderful, so wonderful.
Sharon and Anne I'm sending you two a monstrous cyber hug... hope you can feel it.

#151077 - 06/13/08 09:57 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: gims]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Quote:

I didn't just lose Gary, I lost my entire family and everything that goes with that loss - things as cherished as family gatherings and story-telling (which were regular and beloved events before Gary died) and as mundane as having people to phone and people who phone me...it's all gone. My family was everything to me...I'm still figuring out how to cope - who I am now - without them.

I don't understand this, Eagle. Did you have to move? Did I miss something?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#151078 - 06/13/08 10:23 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Anno, this is the part I haven't been able to share about too much here. The week that Gary died, another family crisis occurred which devastated and tore our family apart. For the past year, we've had no contact whatsoever with one brother and his family, and almost non-existent contact with the other brother (he's suffering the ripple effects). We were a very close-knit family before all of this. Now we're completely shattered and even when/if this crisis is resolved, I honestly don't know if we'll ever be able to mend us enough to enjoy family gatherings again. It's all out of our hands and beyond our control at this point, all we can do is weather this through and hope there's something left to salvage on the other side of this crisis. Only one thing's for certain, with Dad, Mom and Gary gone and the scars that this other crisis is leaving on our family, we will never be the same again.

While Gary's death was devastating, this other crisis is what has rocked my entire world and sense of direction...it has forced me to learn that sometimes all we can do is to allow others to be who they are without allowing their choices and behaviours to destroy who we are; my focus all year has been figuring out how to get on with my own life without them when their lives have been so intrinsically woven in and through mine for 40+ years.

(Maya Angelou)

#151079 - 06/14/08 12:49 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

Eagle
you are slowly explaining more and I wont ask further but this must be painful.

But as I grow older many of the sayings that were quoted by my Grandmother are clearer.
She would say things almost like a riddle..and I tried to understand but now I see "through the mirror clearly"

One was "I wont be here to see it but rest assured right will out."
meaning I suppose that in time injustice would be sorted out.
It is unjust that you were hurt more at a very vulnerable time. That was wrong.Whatever the reason.

Missing phone calls is understandable and can you substitute others who fill that role.
Due to my own family circumstances I have more friends than family.Yet my childhood was overflowing with family.
Thing is being reared by Grandparents means I lost them early.
In one year five cousins of my Mothers who were close all died. A whole family..Two were unmarried.One childless.
I became stunned as that year unfolded it was like a sick movie...funerals.

Draw closer then closer still to those who nurture you.Seek and yee shall find.
Mountain ash

#151080 - 06/14/08 01:25 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

It's interesting to note that since I became aware of how that line had been affecting me, my mind has been much clearer and I've been able to reassert my positive focus without so much resistance. That line seems to have taken on a taunting aspect...but every time I hear it beginning to play in my head again, I immediately stop it and substitute something positive ("Jesus be my light" fits right into the same melody).

I'm taken aback, even after all these years, of just how insidious something like a simple line from a song can become. There's nothing wrong with this song or that line - but for me, it took on very negative connotations and became a dangerous quicksand into which my spirit and mind were sinking fast.

I wonder now, if we think our children are not being affected by the lyrics of the music they're listening to, we're just fooling ourselves. While some can resist being dragged into the underlying nuances of the words, there are others much more fragile in spirit who must be succumbing to the messages of futility and violence and negativity that are pouring into their ears and minds.

I thought I had evolved past the point where this sort of thing could affect me to this extent. It's a lovely song, with beautiful musicality - I didn't see the potential for anything more than blissful listening pleasure. Now I realize yet again that when you're prone to mangled thinking (symptomatic of depression, anxiety disorders and other mental illnesses), you always has to be on guard against whatever tools that mangled thinking can use against you.

(Maya Angelou)

#151081 - 06/14/08 02:32 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Uplifting self-talk, the power of positive thinking, and spiritual music heal emotions. Broken hearts take a while to mend. When folks' go to be with the Lord, it takes some time for folks' left behind on this ole earth to get use to life without them. Thank God we can smile at their memories!

#151083 - 06/14/08 08:25 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: ]
Eagle Heart Offline

And I keep you in heart and prayer too, Anne...we're pilgrims on the same road...the best silver linings that shine out of these stormy patches of road are the special people who touch our hearts and lives along the way. The women here on BWS are such blessings and gifts. If it's loss and lostness that brought me here, it's the wisdom, friendships and laughter found here that make it all worthwhile! If I hadn't been so broken, I would never have found BWS, and I shudder to think how empty my life would be without these amazing, caring women who are now the dearest people in the world to me.

God promises that "all things work together for those who love the Lord". When we keep our eyes and hearts open, that promise comes true in the most amazing, unexpected, life-lifting ways - BWS was one way that I could never have imagined before stumbling in here! Now I can't imagine my life without this place and these women.

(Maya Angelou)

#151084 - 06/14/08 08:37 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Eagle, I am sorry that you lost your entire family when Gary died. I can understand, even better, what a difficult year this has been for you.

When Gary was in the hospital, didn't you mention the book, The Secret, and you were reading it? Or maybe it was another book, but it seemed to be just the right thing for you at the time. Maybe it would help again, now?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#151085 - 06/14/08 10:20 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Quote:

When Gary was in the hospital, didn't you mention the book, The Secret, and you were reading it? Or maybe it was another book, but it seemed to be just the right thing for you at the time. Maybe it would help again, now?

Yes, Anno, I remember mentioning The Secret way back then. Somebody left the book in the ICU for Gary and I started reading it and was very excited by it. I read parts of it out loud to Gary (through a hot and steamy mask as I recall well, because he was so vulnerable to infections that everyone had to be gowned and masked.)

Anyway, when my older brother arrived, we read parts of the book out loud to Gary and to each other. We practised envisioning the best parking spaces in the parkade every morning, and that worked. So we became somewhat immersed in this whole "law of attraction" and positive vibe thing, so much so that I became unshakeably certain that Gary would survive...so much so that after he died and everyone else left the room, I stayed for 30 minutes because I was SO SURE that God would send him back. I was afraid that if I left, it would negate the "positive belief vibe" that Gary was coming back. It was so hard to finally give up and leave him there. Even then, I stayed out in the hallway for awhile, waiting to hear an announcement for our family to return to ICU. It was crazy, I know, but that's how immersed I was in that whole positive thinking/secret/law of attraction stuff. It didn't work for us, and it was a crushing blow to me. And in hindsight, being so immersed in that unrealistic positive "vibing" blinded me to the reality - and robbed me of the precious opportunity to really be present to Gary in his final days and hours.

I have great difficulty understanding how to make the Secret work now. I've delved into the Law of Allowing, and that has helped tremendously, from the perspective of allowing people to be who they are without allowing their beliefs and actions to define or diminish me. And I believe in the concept of the Law of Attraction - and have read several books on it, and am practising it, albeit half-heartedly, which I hear prevents it from working. But I'll admit that I became frightened when the money I had jokingly asked for when my older brother and I were practising the Secret came out of Gary's estate...that was too high a cost to pay, and now I'm (ridiculously) afraid to ever ask for money again for fear of whose life will coincidentally end just as that money comes to me.

I know that's not how it works, but it still spooked me too much to be comfortable with asking for anything - or knowing what to ask for. I just stick to the generics - good health, enough money to be able pay for whatever we need, and a mended family. Two out of three ain't bad...

(Maya Angelou)

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved