The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#151126 - 06/21/08 07:30 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

This (a couple) is a unique pair - but we are proud of them, aren't we?

I'll take the secondary clause for what it is...an expectation to be in agreement with the speaker, or writer. I am more inclined to give importance to the response to it more than the question or intention behind it..

#151127 - 06/21/08 07:52 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
EW, me too...

Lola, Oh No! At the same time, I hope you are right and I hope you are wrong. The response, although delayed and well thought out (thought as much, anyway) might need follow-up.

Reading and rereading, numerous times... because of the conjunction used, I take the word 'unique' as negative... the 'aren't we' being an added stinger, pinging off the negative nature assumedly created by the conjunctive clause. But, with little effort, I see how the latter clause might be a playful question. Then I mentally flip back to the negative connotation given the word 'unique.'

#151128 - 06/21/08 08:56 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

The first clause is a subjective assumption by the speaker or writer and ought not to be assessed as mutually agreed at first instance because, what is presented "unique" might not have that connotation for others.

#151129 - 06/21/08 11:09 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

a playful question.

Interesting.this slant.
I however feel that as someone speaks (in this cae making an assumption) they can change the way the statement mean covering their back..by lightening it .
They may do this due to the listeners body language and other non verbal cues.

I saw it a lot between teenage students..who would say things to each other for impact..then say "Just joking!!"
It was appropiate for them ..they were deveolping and how better than by practicing communication.

I have also seen it used as a sketch at the theatre..to set the scene where a Mother dying to have her daughter married had a cope..eg.abbreviations.N O O U( Not one of us.)used in the context of wealth and class and only the husband knew what it meant.
language is powerful.I listen carefully to what is being said..and think before I reply.
When something is said that I disagree with I will say Lets agree to disagree.
Mountain ash

#151130 - 06/22/08 06:32 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Quote:

This doesn't totally negate the ideas in the book, because of the word men (as in earthly human form). The argument was more about the soul as a lifeform - I know it's farfetched... and because I'm no theologian or Bible scholar, it made me wonder what the original writing actually stated, before translation(s). What I was reading had the controversal argument going - similar to the argument they claimed was thrown at the N. Council by early church fathers (unidentified) - that we have lessons to learn in each 'life' (used loosely). Gnostics was referenced... which is an argument in itself... but, the argument was that there are planes, and the soul finishes it's lesson on this 'earth' to go on to the next. The way it read, it sounded as if it were other 'earths' planes. Never was clear on that point. But, knowing there are three (biblical) heavens , I entertained the ideas ... (you would probably be shocked at the thoughts I entertain) .

Gims, the arguments would have been conducted in the language of that time, predominantly Greek. But one trusts that the translations into Latin and English are sound. If you want further reading you can go by the books on Early Fathers i.e. Ante Nicene, Nicene and Post Nicene which would contain a vast collection of arguments on soul. There is also the Summa Theologica and Libra Graduum (Syriac Christianity) which would also have its counterpart in English. Buddhist and Hindu materials also offer the varying discourse on different levels of "heaven and earth".

I find it a healthy exercise to study other thoughts, Gims. It is the only way we can appreciate and understand what others believe and why they do.

#151131 - 06/22/08 08:43 AM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lola your belief is shared by me.

Lola siad "I find it a healthy exercise to study other thoughts, Gims. It is the only way we can appreciate and understand what others believe and why they do."

I just love a mixed gathering where someone discusses some issue..it can be personal or shared due to being in the news.Or inherited through culture.
Then when I ask for more information they provide further facts which enhance my understanding.Then I sift this new knowledge as I go about my days.
Mountain ash

#151132 - 06/22/08 02:28 PM Re: The Importance of Our Thoughts [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The way I read it is: Though they're (the couple) different from us, they make us proud! i.e. we share in they're accomplishments!

IMO!!! At least that's my take!

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved