The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#154673 - 07/28/08 03:54 PM Re: Lightbulbs [Re: jabber]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Thanks Cookie, I'll see if I can find them.
www.tidedancer.com

#154675 - 08/01/08 03:52 PM Re: Lightbulbs [Re: ]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Please do take a caution to those lightbulbs- the mercury in them and the disposal of them is something to consider. Are we just buying into a problem solution that will make more problems for the future? Incandescents aren't in any way a problem to dispose of, they just use a bit more energy. Actually, light bulbs are a very efficient use of electricity. I have turned most of mine over to CFLs, even the bug kind for the outdoor lights, but our community has a once a month collection for hazardous materials like paint, cleaners, and CFLS as well as the big florescent bulbs- I wonder how many folks have actually READ the disposal instructions the EPA puts on the packages. Plus you cannot use them in fixtures that have a dimmer feature. The technology will ramp up in time I figure and make them more affordable, and the time they last is cost efficient, but the mercury in them is totally something we do need to consider. God forbid any of them break, you practically have to call hazmat to dispose of them.

#154676 - 08/01/08 04:11 PM Re: Lightbulbs [Re: judym]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
That has always been my concern too, Judy. It is great to be more energy sufficient in our homes and business, but how are we to dispose of these mercury light bulbs when they are broken or burned out???? Everybody is jumping on the green wagon with out a long term plan, and not realizing more problems may be created.

#154677 - 08/01/08 07:51 PM Re: Lightbulbs [Re: Cookie]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
yes, I really worry about the mercury and improper disposal- shoot we have to worry about mercury in the fish we are supposed to dine on and so much of it is limited to consumption and the rest from overfishing! and thank you for your reply. I am thinking this (the CFL bulb thing) is the tip of an iceberg, and trying to gentle us into thinking in more conservative ways but am really alarmed at the mercury aspect. I hope your community has a hazardous waste disposal aspect too. Ours wont take a lot at curbside recycle, not glass go figure, but there are places to take your glass (of course they involve a good drive to get there!). We are custodians of this world we give our future generations, and it's time to be aware of it. We don't own it, we only RENT it! Thanks again for your response, hope it will get folks to thinking!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved