The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#157370 - 08/24/08 06:23 PM How did you meet your husband, or S.O?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Where and how did you meet you husband or S.O.?
As I've said, I first met mine when we were children before we could really do anything about it. We were close friends.
This part is interesting though:
As I dancer and singer, I was late coming to the computer. One day I was home in Arizona visiting from MN, and I saw my old "best friend," my husband's sister. I did not know where Philip was and because she knew we were friends, she asked me if I wanted to say "hi," to him. I said yes and she brought out one of the early lap tops!
I didn't know how to use it so she opened up a message blank and said, "just type in the box what you want to say!"
I did so, excited to be using email and to say "hi," to Philip.
He emailed me back and my sister in law, (now,) showed me how to answer.
He wrote me back and asked if I would come to see him and she freaked out! She and her family didn't want us to get together!
I didn't know what to do but one day her six year old son said he could help me mail his uncle Philip on the computer.
Behind her back and while she was in the kitchen, we were in the kitchen nook and her son openned the email for me again.
I quickly gave him my "beeper number," and asked him to page me.
As her son hit "send," his mother, my sister in law, caught us! She demanded from her son, "Did you send an email??"
He told her yes and she was in a huff, she knew what we had done because when I asked her to help me, she said she was busy!
The rest was history.
I went to meet him while he was teaching a class in Spokane, WA and we were old enough to do something about it.
We were inseparable from that time!
We married shortly after that meeting.

HE taught me to use a computer for myself, lol.

Dancer.

Your story?

"Question your privilege"

#157375 - 08/24/08 06:47 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, this could be lenghtly! I met my first husband when I was a mere sixteen right before high school graduation. My boyfriend at the time was a race car driver and also worked at a parking garage in Indiana where we lived. I went to the garage one afternoon after school to meet John my boyfriend, and he introduced me to a new employee of the garage who'd just gotten back from a stint in the army in Germany. His name was Eddie. I kid you not it was love for us both at first sight. We all went to the races together that night and while John was on the track driving Ed and I got better acquainted, and that was that. We were inseperable after that first meeting...We married two years later. I lost my Eddie some five years later to cancer.

I met my second husband while I was in Illinois opening an office for the man I worked for in Indiana, he owned Freezer Meats stores where people came to buy beef, half cows etc. I was the credit and office manager. The way Chet aqnd i met was the most romantic story and somewhat long so I won't bore you. I will say they way we met was the thing movies are made from. We married after only eight months and were like one for fourteen glorious years. He pasesed away also but from natural causes, he was eighteen years my senior, but to me still too young to die...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157440 - 08/25/08 12:56 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Chatty, thank you for telling me your stories. I love them. I would love to hear the romantic way you met Chet too!
Thanks again, I love it!
Dancer9

#157493 - 08/25/08 12:19 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Oh gosh, so romantic.. love at first sight!! It wasn't that way with Greg and I. We actually met at work. He was a computer programmer and I was a technical writer. I had come to work there and was a hired as a manager to run the new tech writing department so I implemented some very necessary changes in procedures that the programmers didn't like, especially Greg. He was very resistant to working with me and so we didn't like each other very much.

A lot of the staff ate lunch together in the conference room, and I joined them one day. Greg was there, and I joined in on the conversations. Heated debates ensued on various topics it didn't matter what it was about. We all loved to argue various points, it never got ugly, just fun.

The staff also went out after work on occasion, and asked me to join then one time. Greg went too.. and we got to know each other socially. The ice started to melt. We started talking about other things besides work and learned more about each other. We continued to meet with the others and got to see each other and learn more about each other and actually realized we liked each other! So, we tried it on our own. He had a motorcycle and asked me if I wanted a ride. Of course I did!!

The ride did it. I was hooked. There's nothing like hanging on the back of a man going at top speeds with the wind blowing around you with your life in the hands of the man at the helm to realize you trust him.

It didn't matter he was 6 years younger than me. Or that he was just newly divorced. We started seeing each other. Kept it a secret from the others at work. We even went to a Christmas party for work and kept it a secret. But, I went to his house that night, and it was our first kiss. 3 months after we started dating. How's that for romantic!

6 months later we move in together. 6 months after that he gives me a ring. And a year later we're married.

You have to hear the story of how he gave me the ring. It was Christmas time. He wanted me to open one of my presents early, so he gives me this medium to big box. Pretty heavy. I open it and it has rocks in it, and a piece of paper at the bottom. It's a riddle that starts a scavenger hunt. I follow the riddle to the next stop and the next and the next which has me going all around the apartment to places like finding the "stairway to heaven" which is a CD, and then something in the refrigerator, and all sorts of places, finally there is a note that says "find the little blue church". Now, I remember the little blue church because I decorated the Christmas tree and it was an ornament. So, I go to the tree and taped to the bottom is a note. It says "turn around."...

I do.

And, there is Greg on his knees holding a ring box, with the most gorgeous ring I'd ever seen ... I started to cry and he said, " we may never get married, but I wanted you to have a ring to always know how much I love you."

(this is because we had said we probably wouldn't ever get married)

He really is romantic!

And, we did get married a year and a month later. And, we've been married now for 10 and 1/2 years.

What a guy!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#157537 - 08/25/08 07:33 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh Vicki, he sounds just fabulous. I love a man with imagination. You are a very lucky lady as he is a lucky man. What a romantic story. Dancer this is a great series of posts, comre on girls give it up, next story???

#157557 - 08/25/08 08:27 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay, I'll go next. About 33 years ago, when I was just a tot (17, actually) I moved to a little tiny mountain town. I didn't know a soul, but apparently it was slim pickins for cute girls because I had lots of attention from the guys. I wasn't used to this, coming from a high school that had a larger population than this entire little town.

I learned where the kids hung out; a little arcade in town, and at the elementary school after hours. I first saw my hubby playing basketball with the guys. When my best friend came to visit the following weekend, we drove over to the school and watched again. When they finished their game and left, Heidi and I followed him home to see where he lived! We still get teased about this...

Our first date was horseback riding with some stable horses. Our second date was riding the ski lift to the top of the hill and back down; it was summer, so it was a great day and wonderful view....when we weren't kissing! Oh well, we moved in together a year later, then got married seven years after that. Been together ever since!

Next...

#157576 - 08/25/08 11:02 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
dancer9 Offline

Wow, those are some great stories! It feels good to learn of others love stories! I love them! So, so romantic! Each of us is different and you can tell it by our love stories!
Any more out there?
Dancer9

#157622 - 08/26/08 03:49 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My DH threw candy (Sugar Daddy pieces, to be exact) across the cafeteria. He was a Junior and I was a Freshman in high school. Not too many days later, he asked if he could drive me home. Timid, a bit scared, but excited, I accepted. I have never laughed as hard as I did during that ride to my house in his old '55 Ford. He was (and sometimes is) one of the funniest people on this planet. He lost a great deal of his timing and quick wit after his seizure in '03. I (we) don't know if it was the seizure or the years of medication he was on to prevent another one.
We've been together for going on 40 years, counting our dating life... yea, I need a break - but, so does he!...lol.

#157643 - 08/26/08 12:21 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
How fun is this...to learn how people met and fell in love and what it has been like since for them. I have a rather checkered past when it comes to love. My sweetie, Gil (short for Gilbert) and I have been together for 3 years in January. I love the story of our meeting so much that we reenacted it for our wedding ceremony last year. That, plus some other eclectic bits, had the wedding guests pretty bamfoozled during the ceremony itself.

I had been on match.com in Indianapolis, Indiana (where I'm originally from)on and off for a couple of years and the joke was I was a "serial dater". I had so many "one offs" that it was a running joke amongst my friends...and I was a serial dater because I had decided, after a 2 year self-imposed retreat from the world of men, exactly what I was looking for and wasn't in the mood to compromise. Not controlling, no, not me! Grin. I met, and dated, a guy for about 13 months, then broke up with him when I realized certain things weren't going to change any time soon.

I continued my match.com subscription after I moved to Chicago for a job opportunity. After 17 dates and a lot of angst, I decided I wasn't going to renew my subscription at the end of the month.

Right before my subscription was due to lapse, I had a friend staying with me to take her Reiki training from the same person I had taken my training from. She was studying and so I said "I guess I'll go up and see what crap the guys on match have to share with the world. Although I don't know why I bother, since it seems like all of them say the same thing. Look great in a tux or jeans, love the symphony and the outdoors. Blah, blah, blah."

When I signed on, I was bored and glanced at the area of the site where you can see what men having been looking at your profile. I saw Gil's profile and thought "OMG"...I called to my friend and said "you have to look at this guy's profile". She read it and said immediately "you're going to contact him, right?". I reviewed his profile, saw that he was under my height requirements (I'm 5'9" and decided I wanted someone at least 6'2" tall) and said "nope, I deserve exactly what I want, remember?". Besides that, he was over an hour away from where I lived and I didn't want to drive that far.

She bopped me upside the head and said "are you nuts?" so I gave in and sent him what is called a wink so I didn't have to write anything. He wrote back almost immediately and was so warm and welcoming. At the end of his email he said "and on behalf of all da guys in the area, thanks for classing up the joint!".

I still wasn't sure about him...he was, after all, too short ("only" 5'11", grin) and told him I would talk to him after my friend left on Sunday. On Sunday, I contacted him via email and we started chatting. I told him that I really didn't like chatting via email...too static and it got boring quickly...he immediately gave me his phone number and we spent the next 7 hours talking to each other! In fact, I don't remember how many times I needed to charge my phone in order to stay on the call. Thank goodness for cell phones and cell phone chargers...

During the call, he kept asking me for a date, getting ever more frustrated when I ignored the request...I didn't say "no", I just ignored what he was saying because I knew I came across well on the phone and wasn't confident in how I came across in person. Finally, he said "what does a guy gotta do to get a date with you!!!!!!!!!". I agreed to a date and and immediately thought "oh lordy, what have I done!" I was on the phone with my girlfriend, babbling away, talking nonsense and stuff for hours.

Although our date was originally set for Tuesday (I had a date on Monday...a no show, go figure), we ended up going out on Monday night for dinner. When I got to the restaurant, he was already there and I parked a couple of spots away. He got out of the car with a beautiful red rose in his hand, took a look at me and practically ran across the two parking spaces to meet me. At the moment he turned to me, this exquisitely beautiful blue light jumped the distance between our hearts and I was smitten. Caught hook, line, and sinker!

We both called in "sick" the next day (not acting out of the greatest integrity at that moment!) and spent the day together. That afternoon he asked me to marry him and I, being the hold out that I was, waited a whole 5 days before saying yes! I had such a thing about the word "married" that I insisted on calling it a joining!

We spent every moment possible together for the next few months, talked on the phone a gazillion times a day during the week and closeted ourselves at one of our homes during the weekends.

However, in July we split up for a month (long story, lots of learnings) and got back together again in August. We were married on May 5, 2007 and had a blast at our wedding. I wore two different costumes and our ceremony was, in the words of some guests, amazing and unique. Of course, there were some other words too...like strange, weird and, well, I'll not share some of the other words 'cuz I'm going to be a lady (giggle).

Our honeymoon, in Sedona, was a month later and we spent the time on transformational activities...a very different honeymoon which I loved. AND I would love to go on another, more traditional one, sometime.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#157655 - 08/26/08 01:59 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Aw, Mamared, a beautiful, sweet story! Here's another one from Match.com: I had signed up on that website with fear and trembling! One day I'd hide my profile, the next day I'd go back on...an email arrived from him that was beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. But because I had been so badly burned I decided that "he"....whoever "he" was, was obviously too good to be true. I waited and then sent a short reply. He persisted. I finally gave up my email address and we began an exchange daily, sometimes several times a day. Through email we talked about so many things! Finally I gave up my phone number. He called and rather than a lengthy chat, we kept it light and fairly short the first time. The next day we talked for hours! He finally begged for a date. He sensed my reluctance but saw it for what it was....fear. He still persisted. I knew he was a musician so I chose a place on Saturday night with a great blues band playing. I was there first waiting outside. I saw him drive in with that huge smile that still brightens my days. He presented me with a beautiful bouquet and we hugged instantly. That night he sat in with the band playing blues harp and I was mesmerized! We laughed and talked for hours afterward until 6 am! That began a long string of dates. Still, we both had fears and broke up for the summer. He'd still call and check in and visited with flowers after my surgery. We were on and off for a year.....like Mamared said, ours, too, is a long story and a major time of learning and trusting again. I dated others and so did he. In August of the following year, we finally had a showdown in the way of both realizing that we either have to get it together or break up completely. It was that day that he asked me to marry him and we set a wedding date for two months later...Oct. 23, 2004. We had a "doowop wedding" with great music and classic cars! He is a wonderful smily, passionate man and though we're still learning so much, I wouldn't trade him for anything!

#157670 - 08/26/08 06:53 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Okay since you guys have asked me in PM's. I will explain how I met my husband #2. I worked for a freezer meat company in Indiana at the time and my son and I lived with my mom and stepdad. She helped me watch my baby who was two at that time...For payment, I would fill the freezer I bought for them every couple of months.

Anyhow...My boss said to me one day, I am opening a business in Niles, Illinois and would like you to go up there and stay for a couple of weeks and meet the butchers, open the office and hire and train an office manager. He said there is a nice bonus in it for you. My mom agreed to keep my son and later that week off we went, he drove me.

The new place was very nice. He then took me to a Motel some distance away and said, the bus stops across the street OR ask the man who owns the restaurant how to get there, I have paid for your room and he will bill me for any extras, have fun and be careful, and remember who's girl you are. We had been dating.

The next motrning I went outside and saw that the place was shaped like a U. The restaurant was on one end and the rooms were all along the rest of the U. With a pool in the center.

I walked into thre restaurant and asked the man inside for breakfast and showed him a piece of paper I had with the address of the office written on it. He said out loud, hey Chet, you live near here right? This handsome older man in a nice sports jacket with curly dark hair, peeked out over his newspaper and said, live where" He walked over to the booth I was now eating breakfast in and said, looking at the paper I had, and said, yeah I do, a couple blocks away. The man introduced us and then the owner said, "this little lady could use a lift, would you mind?" Chet sat down after asking me if it was okay, had some coffee and we talked awhile and when finished eating I said, I really should be going. As we left the restaurant with the assurances of the owner, he said he'd known Chet for many years and he was a respectfable businessman in the area, and I'd be safe with him. Well, when we walked outside I saw this really nasty, dirth looking truck parked in front of the pool and my heart sank. I thought what is this guy, a farmer? I went to grab the door handle and Chet said, wait, this way. Well on the other side of tis truck was parked a burgundy red cadillac convertible with white interior and a white top. SIGH!!!

That day he drove me to the office, came by later to take me to lunch and gave me a rose, and then picked me up to go see his club after I finished work. He invited the buitchers too. I stayed until midnight and most the women there were giving me the evil eye, nasty looks, one in general looked like she wanted to tear my eyes out. I was seated in the owners table and Chet fell over himself all evening paying attention to me while his partner took care of the crowd of regulars. There was a 3 piece group playing slow jazz. We danced alot. The place was called The Speakeasy and was a nice cozy cocktail lounge...

That night on the way home he said "you drive, okay?" I did and when pulling into the motel he said, "okay now go inside and stay there till morning. I'll meet you for breakfast. He walked me to my door with a kiss on the forehead. The next day after breakfast he drove me to work but this time another car followed us. Chet said, here you keep the caddy and take the butchers to the club for lunch, enjoy your day. I have a business thing tonight so go ahead to the club and I'll see you later. He gave me the car, I nesarly died. That went on for a week and then one night I got tired of the kiss on the forehead and turned things up a notch. I told you I was a wild child. Plus this man was gorgeous and so good to me. I was already in love.

My job there was done, it took 3 weeks and one of the butchers who drank at the club free everynight (the fink) called the big boss in Indiana, saying, "he better come Char because she is involved with a ganster! My boss called the motel and Chet happened to be there waiting for me and when my boss said he was coming to get me that night...Chet took the phone and said, don't bother, she quits!!! That very night Chet asked me to marry him while we were dancing to the song AT LAST by Etta James. He gave me an engagement ring the following day. I moved into his home, and we drove to Indiana, visited with my mom, and picked up my son and brought him back to Illinois with us. He sold his share of the lounge and we bought s small bar in upstate Illinois and lived happily ever after for fourteen years. We never were apart after that...Whew, left out many details but this is long enough. God, how I miss him...

#157686 - 08/26/08 08:26 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, this is an amazing story. I had no idea how you met your second hubby. What a hoot. You wild woman,you!

Is that the last time you lived in the same town with your mom?

#157693 - 08/26/08 08:37 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

whoa, chatty that reads like part of novel. You might have told us before... I can't remember if you did... but, what brought about the end of the fourteen years? How did he die? You don't have to ask if you don't want to - I know you don't have to be told, but it won't hurt my feelings.

#157737 - 08/26/08 11:41 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: ladyjane]
Mama Red Offline

Oh goodness, LadyJane...what an amazing story! I am so glad you shared it with me! Gil and I have just been on another episode of "Trust or Not"...and it seems that is the gift we are bringing each other for this marriage. This is one where we get to heal many of the past hurts and, honestly, create some new ones that we get to heal with our new tools. Trust and forgiveness (or lack thereof!) seem to be a common theme in our relationship. And through it all, I have wanted it to work between us, although he told me just this past Friday he thought I wanted to leave. I was stunned!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally and utterly stunned! So, on we go with our learnings and tryings and laughings and smilings.

If anyone wants to see some of the shindig we had, there are photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jerilynne.Knight/KnightJoining?authkey=1R2igL1nxIY

I haven't taken the time to figure out the process here, so I hope you'll forgive the link to somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

#157738 - 08/26/08 11:45 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Mama Red Offline

Wow Chatty Lady....what an amazing love story! You know ladies, I think it would be ever so much fun to turn these stories into a BWS booklet...and I volunteer to compile them, format them and create a PDF file (with booklinks and all that jazz) if anyone wants to go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure there are ton more stories to be enjoyed or shared or sympathized with (the ones where it didn't work out so well...I got two of those on my record!).

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#157741 - 08/26/08 11:55 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Chatty,
Thank you for sharing your story! One could just SEE it happening!
You were lucky to have had such a loving husband and I'm so pleased you shared your story!

Dancer

#157742 - 08/26/08 11:57 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
gims Offline

MR, your photo album is awesome... took a while to get through, but it was worth it!!!

#157752 - 08/27/08 12:48 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I love reading your stories. I have one also. It has been published somewhere??? That was a few years ago. I can't remember.
I found the original, unedited version in my files.

Never in a million years

I found my Biological Dad after years of searching, and was in Alabama from Canada for eleven short days to meet and spend time with him and the family. My 'new' sisters took me out on the town on Saturday night to meet some friends and that's when I met Will. He struck up a conversation and invited me out to dinner. I said, “Oh No, I have a boyfriend at home and I couldn't do that, but thanks anyway.†I really wasn't interested. It wasn't love at first site for me.

The next time I ran into Will was a year later. I had lost my Mother, left a going nowhere relationship in Canada and moved to Alabama to be close to my ailing Dad. I had been divorced in the 70's and never married after. My relationship of 15 years in Canada went sour and it was time to move on. I was finished with relationships...period!

I kept running into Will several times a week. Although he worked in Tennessee, he came to Alabama quite often. I was working at my sister's restaurant/bar and we would sit and chat when I wasn't busy. We talk after work and he called me every day. Will was a kind, gentle, understanding soul. . He told me that when he first saw me (the year before when I was visiting for the 11 days), he thought that I was who he had been waiting for all his life. He told me he didn't date again after we met . I said,"really, but you knew I had a boyfriend.†He said, “I knew you were coming back...to see your Dad. And I would be waiting.†He said he was tempted to call me on occasion but decided against it. So he just waited...and waited.

In one of our conversations, Will said “I am unlike any man you've even known.†I laughed at this comment, partly because I hadn't heard it before and partly because I didn't believe it. I told him never in a million years would we be become anything more than friends. One night in particular, I rushed home from my Dad's to catch his call, talk to him and go back to my Dad's for coffee and our nightly chat. Walking back up the street I wondered...was I falling in love with Will? I chuckled to myself...I think I am.

When I was a little girl I wondered where I would be in the year 2000 which was soooo far away for an eight year old. On New Year's Eve we were driving home from a party when Will pulled over exactly at midnight and planted a big kiss on my lips. I was so happy to be right where I wanted to and who I wanted to be with be in the year 2000.

Will and I became lovingly involved six months into our friendship. He asked me to marry him three years later. That was a few years ago. We are still engaged and plan to marry one of these days when we can get all our children in one place. Will and I never say an unkind word to each other. We tell each other how lucky we are to have found each other. We have the deepest respect, love, and understanding for each other. Our age difference is four years apart with him being the oldest. Today we say we are in the top 10% of the happiest people on earth. I'd agree with Will who says more than likely the top 1%. He truly is unlike any man I have ever known.

I wasn't searching for a soul mate, when I found Will. I was finished with relationships. I was content that there was no one for me in this lifetime. I accepted the fact that I was going to be alone and was comfortable with it.

Did I ever think I would find my “Will†in this lifetime? Never in a million years...

#157775 - 08/27/08 02:54 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Gims

Glad you enjoyed it...I kept meaning to go up and weed through the photos, remove the dups, etc. and somehow, it never ended up hitting the top of the to-do list!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#157776 - 08/27/08 02:56 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chickadee]
Mama Red Offline

Oh Chickadee...what an amazing story. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for sharing it!!!!!!!!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#157777 - 08/27/08 03:30 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
We met at a basic computer hardware course..how to install motherboards, hard drives, etc. It never occurred to me that it would have been a place to meet a guy. I was more concerned about buying my lst computer and how to maintain it, add to it, etc.

I've said enough about him in this forum before. so better with a vignette that exemplifies him as my partner:

He doesn't enjoy dancing cause he's just like me..lousy.

But what makes up for this...he waits for me ..in the rain with his bike when I finish work. That was today...and it has happened several times in past few years. And I insist that he phone me in advance if he feels like not coming.

He comes...it's an excuse for exercise for him. laugh

What more can I ask..!

#157778 - 08/27/08 08:05 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
chickadee Offline

Thanks Mama, you know if I hadn't found my Dad, I wouldn't have found Will and I wouldn't have found BWS. 12 years of determination to find him paid off bigtime.

#157779 - 08/27/08 08:10 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
chickadee Offline

Orchid, you weren't looking either huh?
Who maintains your computer now?

#157781 - 08/27/08 09:06 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Chickadee great story, love the new picture too!

Dotsie, yes, that was the last time mom and I lived in the same state.

MamaRed, love your booklet idea. I had one bad experience with husband #3...He was as lousy as the first two were good. Guess I should have quit while I was ahead.

There was a lot more to my story but it would have taken much too much space and so I gave you the highlights.

Gims, he was nearly 19 years my senior and he died of natural causes. Years of smoking and drinking didn't help I'm sure, and in case anyone is wondering, he wasn't a drunk, well sometimes but usually a happy one.

This is an awesome thread dancer, great idea...

#157784 - 08/27/08 11:59 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Chatty Lady

Thanks...I can see how much fun it would be to hear the stories...so inspiring and heart warming! My number 3 (my current husband) is an amazing man and has the other 2 beat hands down. My first husband was a nice man...who didn't feel comfortable sharing his emotions (I'm sure he had them...or at least I think he did!), my 2nd husband was abusive...and I took it, much to my shame, for almost 10 years. Gil has his own stuff and is also a very gentle hearted man I call my Gentle Warrior.

I, too, have more to the story and figured I had written enough! Grin....

Thanks for starting this thread Dancer...way kewl!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#157785 - 08/27/08 12:00 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chickadee]
Mama Red Offline

Interesting how the paths we take, when reviewed from a new place, lead us to where we are now. And how if even one thing had been done differently, we wouldn't have things like a story to tell about an amazing relationship with your Wil and my Gil. I LOVE to hear people's life stories precisely for this reason...the twists and turns and choices are utterly fascinating.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#157823 - 08/27/08 06:24 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Chick, that was one of the sweet stories I've ever heard! I can tell you and your husband love one another very much.
And yes, I believe you can find your soul mate, and you did!
Bless both of you,
Dancer

#157845 - 08/27/08 11:58 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
chickadee Offline

Thank you, I am truly blessed. I pray we have many years together.
My pic is me at a young age. I dug it out the other day and was amazed how much my grandson looks like me.
Let's hear some more stories.

#157847 - 08/28/08 12:05 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chickadee]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
cute pic, chick

#157857 - 08/28/08 12:40 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Princess Lenora]
chickadee Offline

#157864 - 08/28/08 02:30 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: chickadee
Orchid, you weren't looking either huh?
Who maintains your computer now?

You are right. I gave up looking. The strongest evidence was several months before I met him, I bought a home. Wasn't going to wait around for Prince Charming.

Yea, Prince Charming does maintain the computers.

#157873 - 08/28/08 04:46 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: orchid]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
This is a great thread. I'll be married 38 years this December. We met at a local hardware factory where we both worked. He was the new stock guy but quickly moved up to being a forklift operator.

I remember walking down the steps to the packing department where I worked and saw this really cute guy sitting by the packing line. The first thought that went through my mind was, "That's the guy I'm going to marry." He looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back and when I could move continued to my work area. Then the thought went away. I was 20 and he was 18. He had just moved to Illinois from Arkansas. That was November, 1969 and we started dating in April, got engaged in October and married in December of 1970.

What drove me crazy was that he was so shy that whenever I asked him a question about himself I'd only get a short reply, but when the older lady who sat next to me asked him something he'd go on forever. Later I found he got nervous when he tried talking to me. He said it was because he was attracted to me. I finally found out he was from a place called, "Clover Bend". Now how beautiful a name and I wa more intrigued than ever about him. It took him forever, it seemed, before he was comfortable enough to sit and talk to me about his hometown and family, but I persevered.

Finally one night my older sister, a cousin and I were taking my twin sister to work in the next town. We stopped first at a root beer stand to get a drink. I saw him there and he drove his car up beside us. He asked what I was doing. I told him and laughingly asked if he'd like to go with us so we could talk some more. He said yes and didn't think a thing about getting into a car with 4 other girls. After dropping my twin off at work and getting back in town, he asked me to have a soda with him so my other sister and cousin took my car home. He asked me out on a date that night and that started it for us.

He's known in the family - to this day - as the pick-up guy.
www.tidedancer.com

#157883 - 08/28/08 12:58 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Sandpiper]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We have been so blessed to find so many of "the right guy" for our lives. We know what we want and we attract the right kind of person. Go Boomers!!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#158026 - 08/29/08 07:32 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
My husband and I will be married 35 years next month. We met at the local 7-11- I was working 3-11 shift there summer when college let out, and he was on night shift (same thing but he had grad, I was a frosh). He was a really nice chap and we struck up a nice friendship. We would talk after work, and take bike trips during the day when he was off, and really developed a good friendship. He was attentive, polite and a true gentleman. Shortly in the timeframe, we started dating (cautiously, more than not but it was serendipity I think) in late June. WHAM! He was just the man I knew I had to marry. By August we were engaged (on his birthday!), and early October married. I couldn't have wanted a better man to share my life with, we've had our bumps in the road but haven't we all. My father was very dismayed that I wanted to marry so young a month shy of 19. I was headstrong, I know- but like my Dad, I knew my mind. We eloped of a fashion! It took a good while for my Dad to be over it (oldest daughter and all- and I know I did disappoint him by marrying young and he grew in time to respect the man that married his eldest daughter) but my Mom was at our side always and God Bless Her for that. I have some simmering regrets not doing the marriage like my Dad wanted, but we did get married in his church- and after taking the "compatability" test the church offered then, the reverend said he had never seen two people suited so well to one another. Funny thing was, we applied for our license after the prep work, in our town, the clerk was a local busybody and knew who to call to alert them to our plans. Holy crap broke out then. In later time, DH actually developed a very good friendship with my Mom, she thought he was the best thing since sliced bread! After Dad passed away his friendship with her meant a lot to her, and to me too. Her life was not easy with my Dad, I think DH was a good confidante to her - and she really did love and support us both always. His family no doubt shared the same reservations intitally(and there were some confrontations there with my father, being us both from the same small town a only a few blocks from one another) but they were very supportive and loving, much more than we deserved- we even had to live there for a couple months til we got our first apartment and they welcomed us wholeheartedly. And when our sons were born they were there to help and always did help us when we asked, they knew not to impose theirselves on us and when we needed them, they ALWAYS were there. It was like the Waltons, no lie. And I loved it! It took awhile for my Dad to get over the marriage- 6 yrs- but they did come to visit prior their first grandson being born (we always laughed at folks thinking of our short courtship and quick marriage counting on their fingers- I hope they got tired after awhile!!), and for the second grandson too- and were there with bells on when the FIRST grandson was born and when the second was 3 months old, since he was born in winter. I treasure all the pictures of both families with our sons. First grandsons in BOTH families! I KNOW I was blessed with this man,and I KNOW we both were blessed with such wonderful families- and I thank God every day we are together, and try the best I can to continue the family thread with our sons. I can see how much they feel about family and the ties that do bind despite the miles. We are truly blessed and I am always, totally grateful.

#158060 - 08/29/08 10:51 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: judym]
dancer9 Offline

Sandpiper and judy, thanks for your stories! It's so cute when you look back,isn't it? I see how many different ways we can meet, "the one," but all of us seemed to "know," didn't we?

I think we are all very lucky. I type this as my husband watches over me since I have been diagnosed with severe dehydration.

I could come home and not stay in the hospital because of him.

I'm lucky, and so are all you others.
Let's not forget!

Dancer9

#158061 - 08/29/08 10:52 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: judym]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Judy

Want an amazing story of love and kindness. Thank you soooooo much for sharing it with all of us! Isn't it funny how many people do that backward finger counting thing? Makes me laugh till my sides hurt! Of course, this is coming from a woman who used to laugh when she heard the saying "oh, yeah, babies. The first one can come any time, the others take 9 months!". For years, I didn't understand that one!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#158136 - 08/30/08 01:27 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Dancer

I hope you're taking good care of yourself! How blessed that your husband is there to help and support you. Such a gift, such a gift indeed!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#158286 - 08/31/08 06:34 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Thank you, Mama Red.
I am hydrating but I was pretty far gone with dehydration! I live in Arizona and know better but I just forgot!
It got bad enough for me to need an IV.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Dancer

#158403 - 09/01/08 01:51 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
What a fun thread! Here is my Match.com story. I know I have shared parts of it before, so I am sorry if I am repeating myself.

In 2000, a girlfriend and I decided to try out this new phenomenon called Match.com. They offered 3 months free and we both signed up.

I had very few responses until I finally posted a photo. I had been on a cruise, with friends, over winter break, and I had this knock out photo of me in a formal. I don't usually like my pictures, but this one was great.

The day I posted the photo, I started getting matches. My friend and I would compare matches over the phone in the evening, and talk about potential dates. I was NOT looking for a long term relationship, but just some fun. I had been dating lots over the past few years, and was enjoying the process.

I met a few guys in person. There was the guy who was a Meg Ryan freak, and wanted me to cut my hair like her, then we could go out on a second date. The guy who chain smoked while we ate lunch, and talked about all the movie channels he got on his cable system. The guy who sent me the nude photo (I know I have talked of him before. And the best, was the guy who wanted to date me after he had dated my friend. He was wondering if actually, we could all go out together!

My freebee time was up on May 15, and I was not going to pay to meet more toads. I had about 5 guys write to me that day, and I answered only one: Dennis!

He wanted to go out immediately for dinner. I wanted to meet a bit more casually first. As I said, my membership was up, and I really had no idea of who I was talking to on the phone. But his voice, oh so soft and sexy. To tell the truth, I thought I was talking with a younger guy who I thought was real cute. I did not remember what Dennis looked like.

We finally met at a deli. I was surprised when I met him, I really did not recall ever seeing this guy on Match.com. He was blond, and I never went for blonds, and wore these huge, geeky glasses (I am a freak for fashionable eyewear). But, when we talked, for just a few minutes, I forgave him his hair and glasses. We had so much in common. Best of all, he loved to travel, and had been so very many places! But, when he told me he wrote poetry, I was a goner.

We went out for that dinner two nights later and we have been together ever since. He is the one for me and I am the one for him. Like Chick, we are among the top 10% of the happiest people in the world. I don't want to imagine my life without him.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#158415 - 09/01/08 03:02 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
Mama Red Offline

Oh goodness, that is pretty dehydrated! Keep taking care of yourself...

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#158416 - 09/01/08 03:04 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Anno]
Mama Red Offline

Oh Anno...I love it and I soooooo get what you mean by hearing the voice and feeling connected...and then when you get talking and find those commonalities. That is where I went too and I met a lot of "interesting" guys.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#158431 - 09/01/08 06:03 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Anno]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Anno, given our maturity, it's good that he had hair!

#160505 - 09/21/08 11:19 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

Wow...so many wonderful love stories...melts my heart to hear them and to know that despite everything we can find love that lasts....so far.

Larry and I were a match.com romance...I won't bore you with the details again cuz I think I've shared them before...5 years almost to the day since we met (Sep 30th 2003) and we'll be married 4 years next March. I will tell you about today because it was so sweet.

I bought Larry an IPhone a couple of months ago and he is attached at the hip to that thing...today he was loading songs into it and we were looking at choices...I spotted a Mama's and Papa's song and asked him to play it...it was "Dedicated to the One I Love". I grabbed him and we started dancing in the kitchen. When the song got to the words that say..."Each night before you go to bed, my baby.....whisper a little prayer for me my baby...." and I looked up at Larry and he had big tears in his eyes...he squeezed me tightly and held me for the longest time while we continued to slowly dance to the music. I could tell he was fighting hard not to cry. I looked up at him and asked..."Baby, are you happy?" He smiled, more tears in his eyes, "More than you'll ever know...I love you so much." Wellllllllllll, that did it...then my tears started.
I remember there was a time when online dating had a stigma about it...I didn't want anyone to know I was trying to date that way...but, now...after what God brought me, I proudly shout it from the roof top.

#160510 - 09/21/08 11:38 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dee believe me you and Larry are a couple out of millions that have made the right connection. I so envy that, but you two are a couple in a million and those odds are to tough for me. Been there - done that!

#160545 - 09/22/08 07:01 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dee, what a touching story smile I'm so glad for both of you.

Poet and essayist

#160550 - 09/22/08 09:09 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: meredithbead]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lovely story Hi Dee.missed you.

How did I meet my husband...

KNEW

#160551 - 09/22/08 09:18 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

OOPS
Finger slipped.

How did I meet my husband.
"Knew" him long before I met him...waited until I recognised him and the rest is history.
this was clear to me when I saw how seamlessly life was and how wanted and loved our babies were.
I still love returning home to him... and neither growing older or illness has changes how I feel.

My Grandmother said to met that some people are meant to be together..I understand that.
Mounatian ash

#160555 - 09/22/08 12:04 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Gosh, finally found the time to read this thread. So many beautiful stories, and it is heart warming to “feel†the love that you all have in your relationships.

When I met my Hubby it was hate at first sight.

I was skiing in Switzerland, and I was a lousy skier. Gosh those mountains are BIG. My friend and I found a beginners trail that led along side of the mountain. It had a slight slope, but it was narrow. Well, we were snow plowing along, when suddenly we heard a bunch of skiers skid to a stop behind us. One of the guys yelled, “Move over!†Before we could even sidestep, they sped past us, almost knocking us off the slope.

At the bottom of the trail, we met up with the group who were waiting for the connecting bus to the gondola. I went up to the “leader of the packâ€, and told him in my broken German how careless he was; and that he practically knocked us off the slope. Boy was I mad!

In the hotel that evening at the dinner table, Mr. Speedy Gonzales was placed directly across the table from me. He invited me to a glass of wine as a token of a truce. I accepted, and we got married 3 months later.

I was so scared at the wedding, that I almost cancelled the last minute.
Now we’ve been married 34 years. Sometimes he is still trying to knock me off that slope! But I’m holding on, and despite all our ups and downs, we have many more ups…which makes skiing really interesting.

#160558 - 09/22/08 12:44 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dee Offline

Mountain...you have the most wonderful love story and it's still going to this day...I envy you and what you've had all these years. I hope it continues, sweetheart.

Edelweiss...I know your story and you're the strongest woman I know...you have my admiration and keep on skiing...and when he needs it, give him what for!!! I'm glad the ups are more frequent now...

Chatty...never say never.

Merideth..thank you sweetie...

Hugs

#160804 - 09/24/08 10:29 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dee its hard not to never say never believe me...

#160944 - 09/25/08 02:37 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Sandpiper Offline

I love reading all of our stories. It's amazing how we each found love in our lives. Beautiful, wonderful stories! Glad this thread was started and for all the sharing with us.
www.tidedancer.com

#161094 - 09/26/08 07:50 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Thanks for the kudos, Mama Red! Sometimes I feel like I really disappointed my parents and all, I was incredibly selfish at that age and very headstrong- and that I probably will carry always. My younger sis had a large wedding and admitted the other day that if to do over, she'd never put Mom and Dad thru that, it was so stressful and costly for them.

Our first born son is engaged now, and marrying his lady love next year- plans are in the making and starting to grow. To tell the truth, I'd really hate not to be there at their wedding, and I'm really glad they are doing it "right". At least my DIL to be will have her special day(and I truly do love her- they are really happy, and she "completes him" Not that our marriage wasn't special,it wasn't fancy at all but fit us- it was just couched in so many hard things with my family, and it's sad not to have any of your own family at your wedding. We were very young, headstrong and determined- and that has carried us thru many years of true happiness.We believe in our vows and they were very serious to us, that took us above the hardship and the wagging tongues, the hurt I felt from my parents not giving blessings initially, the hurt of the parish priest that was reluctant to marry us- his first statement was if I were pregnant.Considering the brief time of our engagement, in retrospect I would think the same thing...but still! That was just wrong, since DH would have married in my church. We married in DH church, as I said after a brief prenup counsel,with results that still amaze me- they were more tolerant and understanding. Sometimes you have to price happiness for yourself above the wishes of others- but it still makes you wince sometimes or cry! But no regrets, glad I have spent over half of my life with this kind, thoughtful, gentle man who always puts family above anything else. A true thing he learned from his mother, and we have passed to our sons- what a good, honest heritage!

#161095 - 09/26/08 07:59 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: judym]
Mountain Ash Offline

A good Mother...passing on to your husband trues values.
Mountain ash

#161205 - 09/28/08 01:29 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
My husband Steve and I were pen pals. I was writing to a young soldier in Viet Nam. This young soldier told his buddy Steve (who was home in the San Francisco Bay Area) that he might enjoy writing to me. I am a native New Yorker and lived in Queens.

So Steve and I started writing to each other. Then he telephoned me around November, 1971. I made the decision to travel to the San Francisco Bay Area to meet Steve in February, 1972.

We were married in June, 1972. We celebrated our 36th anniversary this year.

This is a very short version of our story.

#161255 - 09/28/08 09:38 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: judym]
Mama Red Offline

Dear Judy

Ah, the headstrong nature of our youth...it sounds as though you have made a wonderfully wise decision and made choices that carried on your loving nature and passion for being true to yourself. Based on what your sister says, it sounds to me like you gave them a true gift! And not only in saving them the hassle and expense of a big wedding...by raising your precious children to carry on the love, strength and desire of them...and you.

Deepest congratulations on the impending wedding...may you all enjoy it, without guilt or remorse!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#161316 - 09/29/08 02:29 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

NYWoman, what a great way to begin a relationship. I guess it's similar to people meeting online today, then traveling to meet. So you traveled from NY to CA to meet him? What an adventurous gal you were.

judy, happy to hear your son is marrying one who completes him. I pray that for my children.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your wedding. I have a regret about ours too. We were so not into church when we married that we didn't want to get married in one. How awful is that? Anyway, the priest said we had to say our vows in a church so we had our immediate fmaily to the church, said our vows and were out of there. We then got married outside with none of the people attending knowing we were technically already married. Oh to be young and stupid!

#161457 - 10/01/08 01:27 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You could do it up right this time Dots, and get married again wherever you wanted to. Many couples renew their vows, you could too. The kids could be your wedding party, how cool is that?

#163262 - 10/20/08 03:21 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
My husband was the best man at my first wedding. 'Nuff said!

#163296 - 10/20/08 02:50 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: AmyDoodle]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Amy, not enough said. I want to hear more! Are your ex and hubby still friends or is that a stupid question?

Edited by Dotsie (10/20/08 02:50 PM)

#163374 - 10/21/08 03:15 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: AmyDoodle]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: AmyDoodle
My husband was the best man at my first wedding. 'Nuff said!
Cracking UP!!! I filled in the blanks and laughed accordingly. Maybe there's more to it than we'll know for sure. I DO know, I'd never marry my DH's best man - yeckkkk!

#163508 - 10/22/08 07:31 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I was married to "Saint Francis" for about 20 years. Short and round and very attentive to me, he was the kindest man with a heart of gold. Every year he gave 20 turkeys to our church for the poor. While I worked nights as a nurse to put him through college and save for our home, he was working days, first in the Navy, then as a student, then as a programmer. Between us, we raised our son with solid family values.

One night "Saint Francis" came home to tell me he met a young Oriental girl overseas, they fell in love, she was having his baby, and he was leaving me. I took his vital signs and told him he was having a stroke but I'd get help for him right away. lol Only he was not having a stroke. He was having a midlife crisis.

Assuring me he absolutely did not want a divorce, that he would live with her in Hong Kong "only for awhile," and then he would come back to his family, I sent them chocolate chip cookies as a reminder of his family here. Yes I did. Tins of chocolate chip cookies....The kind lady at the post office, who knew my story in our small town, said she felt so sorry for me, trying to keep my family together with tins of cookies when it was obvious his actions did not mesh with his words of continuing love for our family.

After almost 2 years, there came the sudden demand for a divorce, so he could get her immigration paperwork in order and they could be married. I had rugburn from bouts of scream-crying face down into the shag carpet.

Following the divorce, he stopped all financial support and I was on my own and in shock. I had suffered severe stress from all this and did not know if I could ever work a job again without shaking from panic and anxiety.

Every day I went into an empty church and eventually asked God to send me someone who took marriage vows as seriously as I did. Within 2 weeks my prayers were answered.

My son had shown me how to use the Internet at a time when it was in its beginning stages and few women were on there. Guys seemed to be looking for someone with "the right measurements." One fella heard I was a nurse and said I would be the perfect wife to take care of him in his wheelchair. Jeepers! Another met me in a public place and said my ordering a junior ($10) steak from the menu made him realize why I was not skinny, and why I should be eating two prunes a day to get "regular." When I demanded he take me home, he groped me in my driveway and said sex would cure me. Holy sleazebucket!

One day I was in a New Jersey chat room and came across a really nice guy, who told me his personal story. He went through something similar to me, in that his 23 year marriage went kaput after his wife left him to go "find herself." Translation: She moved in with a guy.

After many 6 hour online and phone conversations, he asked me out several times before I accepted. We met on the eve of Valentine's Day in a restaurant near my home. I knew what he looked like from a picture he emailed me, but he had never seen a picture of me, since I had no idea how to send a picture. He was 6.5 yrs younger than me, and cute as a button. I was roundish and wearing glasses. Not exactly Ms. Glitz!

He was late getting there, and while I was waiting for him (He got lost trying to find the place on his 2 hour drive), I helped this elderly lady who had fallen and cracked her head slightly. She was bleeding profusely from this tiny wound, and I was on the floor with her holding an icebag in place. Her 4 elderly female companions with canes asked me why I was alone. I replied that I was waiting to meet a man I had met on the Internet. They all became very concerned about a nice "young lady" (age 46) like me possibly meeting up with "Jack the Ripper" and they asked if I wanted them to wait with me as group chaperones.

I could picture that scenario and graciously declined their offer. After assisting them into a taxi, I looked at myself and shook my head. There was blood on my coat and I was soooo disheveled. My hair was a sight and my Maybelline eyebrows had half melted off. (I lost my Brook Shield eyebrows many years ago due to a pigmentation disorder).

I was about to leave when Guess Who walked in, apologizing profusing for taking a wrong turn and ending up in Pennsylvania, the next state over. Since he had just moved to the Northeast and didn't really know his way around, I forgave him. He said, "You must be Josie." Since he said it with a smile on his face, I figured I must have some redeeming visual appeal apart from my wrinkled clothing.

Once shown to our table, I peeked over the menu and giggled several times. He was sooooooooooooooooooooo cute! And he said I could order the biggest filet mignon they had. The man had passed his first in-person test: no mention of prunes. lol

We closed the place and then went to an all-night restaurant where we talked more over coffee. When it was time for him to make that 2 hour trek home, it was 1:06am Valentine's Day, and was starting to lightly snow. He kissed me lightly on the lips in the parking lot and my feet lifted off the concrete.

I drove home knowing this guy was too special for words. And he later said I had hit him like a ton of bricks from the instant he met me. He was not looking for a wife, yet we were almost never apart after that fateful night.

We just celebrated 11 years of marriage on the same day my son got married recently.

And every year we go back to that same restaurant and have our special anniversary dinner at that same table when possible.

Remind me sometime to tell the story of how he proposed. It's something else!

A thanks to my dear best friend & sister Ellie who made me go to the restaurant on that night long ago when I had an attack of fear and almost did not go. Ellie was the one who actually gave me the courage to meet my honey, and she was my maid of honor at our wedding a few months after we met. She had little money for a fancy dress, but she looked very very pretty in her Sunday best. At the time, I had no idea she would wear that same dress when we buried her 10 months later. She died tragically at age 46 and I will never forget that she was the one who, with God's help, brought me and my "Knight in Shining Armor" together.

Thank you God, for reminding me that no matter how dark life can be, you still have rainbows to make.

Edited by Josie (10/22/08 07:32 PM)

#163554 - 10/23/08 03:03 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
chickadee Offline

Josie, I was totally enveloped in reading your story. It was moving. I am so happy for you.

#163567 - 10/23/08 01:45 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chickadee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I skimmed back through this thread to make sure I hadn't already
posted this stuff. I met my first husband in High School typing class. My second husband I met at snowmoble club functions. They're opposites. Guess I've said that before. I know Chatty said, never say never. I like marriage, most of the time. Sometimes that gender thing, where they're always right and
you're always wrong, gets in the way. But generally he's a good
guy. I respect and admire him. And I'd say, 95% of the time, I'm
very, very happy. But nothing in life is 100%; we know that, right!

#163568 - 10/23/08 01:49 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Josie,
Sorry about Ellie. And glad she brought you together with your knight in shining armor. I know divorce is difficult. Been there.
Done that. But I'm glad God gets us beyond some hurts. We don't forget. But some things, we learn to live with. Prayers and
blessings,

#163578 - 10/23/08 02:45 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Josie, what a touching story. Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister, one who was so involved with your life, one who knew you too well to let meeting Mr. Wonderful slip by. I'm sure living without her has been a huge adjustment. By how grand that God gave you your hubby prior to taking her home.

What a great story. I hope single women who are interested in meeting someone to spend their lives with will read this post and feel hopeful.

#163586 - 10/23/08 03:38 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dotsie]
Josie Offline

Having experienced the sudden death of a marriage, my parents, one brother and two sisters, I know all too well how fragile life is.

I am so thankful for this blessed time of happiness with my husband and newly married son.

When people ask me about the Internet, I sing its praises, for it is how I got a new lease on life .... new husband, new house, new car, and Lord knows how many eBay bargains! lol

#163590 - 10/23/08 03:54 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Josie, I just read your story and I must say, it warmed my heart. It sounds like a story one would read in Reader's Digest, or some other periodical that would grab the reader's heart and fill it up!

Thank you for sharing this personal side of your life. I want a man like your hubby.

I don't say that often. I know of four other people who have hubby's that I would love to clone. Ross is one of them, yours, my own dad (who is now deceased), and another friend of mine's.

How blessed you all are!

#163594 - 10/23/08 04:48 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I agree with JJ…your story is enthralling and heart warming.

And you have a gift for writing girl! Ha ha, “holy sleazebucketâ€,…never heard that one before…and “Maybelline eyebrows had half melted off…†I laughed out loud several times.

Yes! I want to hear how he proposed! Please Josie tell us more!!

#163598 - 10/23/08 05:17 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jawjaw]
Josie Offline

You are most kind, jawjaw....

I don't know if you are actively seeking a husband, but if you want a good one, there are some really neat ones out there. Of course, you may have to get past a few dorks to get a good one, but such is life...

I lived a quiet life back in the mid-nineties: church, the market, the library, and the gym. No bars for me. And since I enjoyed mostly indoor activities, I figured the computer was a good place to "meet" people.

When I was "looking," I was very up front about what I was looking for. Gone are the days of being coy for fear of scaring men off. If Internet fellas have enough chutzpah to ask for your measurements, I think we can dodge that question and let them know we are looking for a good time ....legally and forever! lol

I kept index cards on guys who intrigued me (so I could remember who was who,) and only spoke long term to those who lived within a few hours driving distance. No sense in contending with long distance relationship issues. I tried it once, and the whole thing blew up in my face.

Those few who passed muster would eventually graduate to a phone relationship (press *67 before dialing and then they can't see your phone number)

Out of several hundred men, I agreed to meet about four of them in a public place. The last one was the charmer.

Neither of us are perfect people (Who is?)....but we are middle-aged teenagers going through life together. I pinch myself at my good fortune.

All you have to do is reach out and make that first keystroke. There are sooooooo many guys in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond out there, looking for a good woman.

Some are womanizers, bunches are married cheaters, some are out to take you for anything you have then dump you. But there are still some lovely men who tell me they cannot seem to find a good woman online. Apparently there are some pretty aggressive women who now fall into the same categories as described above.

What I say to all: If you reach out, eventually the right one will find you. In fact, they are looking for you as we speak....

#163599 - 10/23/08 05:22 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Edelweiss2]
Sandpiper Offline

Oh Josie - your story is so beautiful! God has indeed been directing your life and meeting your needs. Your 'knight in shining armour' is truely your soulmate. Isn't it nice to know that when one door closes, God opens another to help us through this life?

So glad you posted this - fabulous.
www.tidedancer.com

#163600 - 10/23/08 05:25 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Edelweiss2]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: Edelweiss2
I agree with JJ…your story is enthralling and heart warming.

And you have a gift for writing girl! Ha ha, “holy sleazebucketâ€,…never heard that one before…and “Maybelline eyebrows had half melted off…†I laughed out loud several times.

Yes! I want to hear how he proposed! Please Josie tell us more!!

Thanks so much, Edelweiss2 .... I'm racing out to the store right now .... but I shall certainly be glad to share how my Mister Big proposed, asap.

#163601 - 10/23/08 05:28 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

PS: I LOVE reading all your stories. I hope more women find their way here to share their personal narrative of one of life's most defining moments.

#163602 - 10/23/08 05:29 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Josie -- I loved reading your story about meeting your hubby. I would love to meet a man with his qualities.

How long did it take you to weed out 200 men???

#163630 - 10/23/08 10:01 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: cyclinggal]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I have underwear that lasted longer than most relationships. Mostly my fault though. I have standards and if they don't meet them, I'm outta there.

Standards like

a) No smoking
b) Light drinker
c) Loves children, any age
d) Loves to read/travel/cook
e) Doesn't have a mother, never did
f) Doesn't have children
g) Likes short, fluffy women
h) Has money running out the ying yang and wants me to have it
i) Has money run---what? Hey, it's MY list.
j) Knows how to fix plumbing, cars, and build things

And those are just the pre-dating questions.

#163634 - 10/23/08 10:24 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jawjaw]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Josie, what a beautiful story! Thanks so much for posting it.

I've been speed-reading through BWS during lunch but had to stop and tell you how much this made my day.

Poet and essayist

#163638 - 10/23/08 11:12 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Josie, Thank YOU! and, may I borrow your line "Thank you God, for reminding me that no matter how dark life can be, you still have rainbows to make" for the poem funnin' thread? I'd love to have a poem with that in it... and you and some other very talented members could make that happen!

JJ, add to your list:
k. Knows how to listen as well as talk

#163671 - 10/24/08 01:42 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Josie,
Did I say, I love your story about meeting Mr. Right! That's a heartwarming tale, girl!

JJ,
That list of yours, is my list, too. Except he has a mom. But
hey, nobody is perfect! But the rest, sounds like my hubby, almost!

Gims,
I like that statement of Josie's, too. It's profound!

#164055 - 10/29/08 11:25 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: cyclinggal]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: cyclinggal
Josie -- I loved reading your story about meeting your hubby. I would love to meet a man with his qualities.

How long did it take you to weed out 200 men???

I may have touched base online with about 400 men overall in a period of about 2 years. Most were weeded out in 15 minutes or less, but many more got the boot within a week of our initial online meeting.

In those days, we didn't have the relationship sites you have today. (I'm not sure I'd join them anyway. I prefer places where people who have common interests meet and interact) I went to many chat rooms on AOL, the mIRC, and other places.

In my heart I knew, "all it takes is ONE person." So I kept on plugging away until I met that ONE.

For those of you who are looking, remember that your significant other is looking for you RIGHT NOW! Isn't that amazing? And here you are reading silly me....lol

#164056 - 10/29/08 11:26 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: meredithbead]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: meredithbead
Josie, what a beautiful story! Thanks so much for posting it.

I've been speed-reading through BWS during lunch but had to stop and tell you how much this made my day.

Thanks very much, Meredith. You have no idea how much your post meant to me as well. Josie smile

#164057 - 10/29/08 11:28 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: gims
Josie, Thank YOU! and, may I borrow your line "Thank you God, for reminding me that no matter how dark life can be, you still have rainbows to make" for the poem funnin' thread? I'd love to have a poem with that in it... and you and some other very talented members could make that happen!

JJ, add to your list:
k. Knows how to listen as well as talk

Gims: Feel free to borrow anything but my husband! hahaha

#164059 - 10/29/08 11:33 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: jabber]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: jabber
Josie,
Did I say, I love your story about meeting Mr. Right! That's a heartwarming tale, girl!

JJ,
That list of yours, is my list, too. Except he has a mom. But
hey, nobody is perfect! But the rest, sounds like my hubby, almost!

Gims,
I like that statement of Josie's, too. It's profound!

Thank you, Jabber. Maybe I'll get to writing about hubby's proposal soon....after this election finishes up. I'm so busy trying to get people to vote in these final days. Though everyone has an opinion, it seems there are still some who do not think their vote matters.....grrrrr....

I don't care who you vote for, as long as you vote for somebody.

Edited by Josie (10/29/08 11:39 PM)

#164063 - 10/30/08 12:27 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I can't decide if I am still looking for yet another Mr. Right, or just too fussy and set in my ways to be bothered.

#164107 - 10/30/08 04:32 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: chatty lady
I can't decide if I am still looking for yet another Mr. Right, or just too fussy and set in my ways to be bothered.

I'm sooooooooooooo set in my ways and a real control freak. lol It's amazing that my Mr Right is the same way, except that we each can be flexible in certain areas where it doesn't majorly matter to the other one.

Regarding YOUR Mr Right, maybe you can start by chatting with a Mr Possibility or two...or three....or four. lol

#164118 - 10/30/08 05:17 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Josie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'll start a thread about marriage proposals. That could be fun too.

#176651 - 03/10/09 09:02 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: ladyjane]
Casablanca Offline

ME and my husband got introduced by a common friend on his birth day party.

#176685 - 03/10/09 07:43 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Casablanca]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Mine was a blind date.

I could see that I was wonderful, but he, apparently, was blind. Bawhahaha...ahem. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved