The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158638 - 09/03/08 09:01 PM Where will you live for retirement?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Where to Live After Retirement

YOU CAN LIVE IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA where...

1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade.

2 You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.

3. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town

4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.

5. You know that 'dry heat' is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.

6. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

You can Live in California where...

1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.

2. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway

3. You know how to eat an artichoke.

4 You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party

5. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.

6. The 4 seasons are: Fire, Flood, Mud, and Drought

You can Live in New York City where..

1. You say 'the city' and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan

2. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

3. You think Central Park is 'nature,'

4. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

5. You've worn out a car horn.

6. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

You can Live in Maine where...

1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco

2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.

3. You have more than one recipe for moose.

4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.

5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction.

You can Live in the Deep South where...

1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.

2. 'y'all' is singular and 'all y'all' is plural.

3. 'He needed killin'' is a valid defense.

4. Everyone has 2 first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Sue, Betty Jean, MARY BETH, etc.

You can live in Colorado where...

1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.

2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home and he stops at the day care center.

3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.

4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

You can live in the Midwest where...

1. You've never met any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.

2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor.

3. You have had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' on the same day.

4. You end sentences with a preposition: 'Where's my coat at?'

5. When asked how your trip was to any exotic place, you say, 'It was different!'

AND You can live in Florida where..

1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.

2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.

3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.

4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.

5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people

#158645 - 09/03/08 09:49 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for sharing. Geez, I can't decide. I think I'll stay here.

Just got back from vacationing with other boomer couples. Wish I'd seen this while I was there. I would have shown them. This question came up while we were away and we decided we are staying put. Maybe a move into the city for one couple, but other than that, we're going nowhere different. Is that boring or what? It all has to do with trying to stay near family (either elderly parents or the young adult children), and being content where we already live.

#159671 - 09/13/08 12:18 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hilarious, K. laugh I don't know where to move.

In my experience, the four seasons in Los Angeles are fire, flood, earthquakes and riots.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#159695 - 09/13/08 04:51 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: Saundra]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yup, I live smack dab on the San Andreas Fault - my house literally sits on the fault line. Plus I'm in the forest, so there's the fire hazard. We've also had people building houses above us that redirected the water flow, so now we have potential flooding. The only thing missing is riots!

I can't tell you how much I pay for homeowners insurance, earthquake insurance and flood insurance. Aaack!

Is it possible to get hurricane insurance in Florida, Saundra? I've always wondered, because those hurricanes come a lot more frequently than our earthquakes.

#159699 - 09/13/08 06:33 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. Got a piece of property with water on the side and back. Shoal Creek and The Longbranch. Just call me Miss Kitty.

#159715 - 09/13/08 12:16 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: chickadee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wuhoo! And I can't wait Chickster...you'll be about 45 minutes from da Queen here...maybe an hour, as the crow flies...

I'll have to come up the Lawrenceburg and get some of the Mennonite's stuff. They have a large community there. You probably already knew that, though. They have great baskets!

#159784 - 09/14/08 04:02 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

JJ,The mennonites put up our fence last week. They are skilled craftsmen. They will probably help build our home. I can't wait til we can hang out together either JJ. We'll be two basket cases, ha ha.

#159798 - 09/14/08 08:24 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: chickadee]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
We are staying right here in Hawaii. All of our kids and grandkids are here; nothing beats being able to see them as often as we do. smile Plus the home is paid off, the weather is always good, the West Coast is just a 5-hour flight that we are used to, so on and so forth.

#159802 - 09/14/08 10:59 AM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: diamond50]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Diamond, if I lived in Hawaii with a loving family all round me, I would stay there too. You are living in paradise. So some of us do make it to there, heh? smile

#159804 - 09/14/08 12:21 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chick, after the big tornado of 1974 that nearly wiped out Huntsville and Athens, AL, the Mennonites of Tennessee came down here and helped rebuild the homes that were destroyed. FREE. They would take nothing for their labor, and as you said, they are all master craftsmen. Now that's Christianity in it's purest form.

I am retired and have been for three years. From my first job, that is. So I guess where I am is where I'll stay. I can't seem to get too far from my grandbeauties, or my sons.

#159828 - 09/14/08 05:13 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

JJ, I didn't know that. That's what it's all about.
Hawaii sounds lovely and I would like to visit just one time. maybe some day.

#161668 - 10/03/08 02:28 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: chickadee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
DD,
That's a great post. Many boomers move to the Florida Villages; but, hurricane season keeps me from doing that. Couldn't stand to evacuate that often. Born, raised, and spent my entire life here, not far from Lake Erie shores, guess I'll stay. I've been through Alabama. It's pretty. My sister lives in Arizona. She loves it there. I'd love to fly to Hawaii but hubby won't get in an airplane. Hence that won't happen. Tenn., Va., the Carolinas are beautiful. But my heart and soul is here, up North in the Eastern US. When you retire, you wonder how you found time enough to work. You simply get busier.

#161718 - 10/04/08 01:20 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Between my hometown and Lucille Ball's, there are lots
of Amish communities. I love seeing the horse and buggy
trot down the road.

#161874 - 10/05/08 10:06 PM Re: Where will you live for retirement? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well, the way things are going in this country, heck in the entire world, the question isn't where will we live BUT how will we live?
Prices for food, gas, etc. are through the roof now. I so want to MOVE back to the midwest but until I see whats going to happen I'm stuck right here. And I am past retirement age by four years already.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved