The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
#170591 - 01/09/09 07:38 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: ]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
anne, i don't know for sure and to tell you the truth the sats heer change evrytime they do it.

1 in 4 females seems true for violense heer as it dose for sexuale assolt/rape as it dose in child molistasion or abuse.

I wondering if i added or subtracted a 1 heer or their in the above 3 but it be a bit strange but not to surprising to find their all similare in percentages %.

hay one in four also means 1 in 6 don't come into contact with it can we rejoice in that.

what is in total numbers size 4 % of the numbers of usa women? or 40% should i say?

#170594 - 01/09/09 08:55 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: chatty lady]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
Truth be told this is becoming a bore, same old, same old. It is your right to say what you think, BUT really, how many times must you say it???

I was saying exactly the same thing, that this discussion of racism is so overblown, because the vast majority of people in the US get along just fine nowadays, despite personal prejudices we ALL have.

We ALL can tell stories about being treated unfairly because of our height, weight, color, national origin, politics, religion, moral values, job description, being handicapped, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

To be told on this board that I do not have an interest in racism is also unfair. My own family of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Jews, etc has made me very sensitive and tolerant of those who are different in ANY way.

Blacks make up 13% of our national population. Hispanics make up 17% of our US population. 70% of the people make up the rest of the population and are extremely diverse as to ethnic origin.

Those government numbers alone tell me a lot. And I know from life that ALL of us have treated at least someone else unfairly or been treated unfairly ourselves.

Let's get on our knees and thank the good Lord that our melting pot system still works.

#170607 - 01/09/09 10:25 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: Josie]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I agree that this subject has been beaten to death but we are NOT all prejudice... Some of us just are NOT.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#170648 - 01/10/09 06:04 AM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: dancer9]
Mij Offline

If you read the entire thread, you will notice that the majority of contributors are very interested in the subjects and the discourse and have found it informative and enjoyable. They far outnumber the dead horse faction.

To this the answer is obvious: If you don't like it, why are you reading it? Move on. Don't read this thread anymore. Find other threads to read. Dotsie suggested this in a previous thread entitled "Have we forgotten the real purpose of this forum?" in the Friends Heal Friends forum. Why do others find this concept so difficult?

On another forum I belong to, the Current Events forum is marked in red after the description: CAUTION: Topics raised here may trigger.

Once you enter that forum, there is a disclaimer at the top where you can't miss it:

"This forum is for discussion of sensitive issues and subjects such as current events and politics. This forum can trigger. Individuals who are sensitive to disagreements should enter this forum with caution.

There is wider latitude discussing current events and politics. Debating and challenging such topics are permitted as long as the focus remains on the topic, not the individual who shares the opinion."

This gives sufficient warning that if you are uncomfortable about certain discussions, don't enter.

There is no reason why members who wish to share and discuss these types of issues in order to learn from others and increase their knowledge should be criticized or told to shut up and stop beating a dead horse.

Those who wish to discuss lighter, happier things can go on doing that just as they have.

I commend celtic on everything she has said on this issue, especially in regard to Seek being misquoted, which she clearly was.

Hopefully, the people who are enjoying this thread can continue without attempts at being shut down by others.

#170650 - 01/10/09 08:40 AM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: Mij]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Quote:
Does anyone here have statistics on the violent crime rates against women in other countries?

Anne327, I don't know the violent crime rates against women in Germany. I couldn't find it in internet either. But I found it for other countries:
Spain 45%
Denmark 1%, - but 8% from x partners
England 22,7%
Island, Portugal, 15%
Finnland 20%, - from x partners: 45%

Source: http://www.paulus-akademie.ch/berichte/gewalt/schroettle.pdf

All I know is I'm not frightened to walk alone in a city here at night.

Maybe I should be, but I'm not. And the weird thing is; you hardly ever see a policeman here. When I first came to Germany, I thought it was unsettling, but the reason is, - it's just not necessary.

Maybe cities like Frankfurt or Berlin are different, but not Augsburg or Muenich. I hear that Toronto is supposed to have an extremely low crime rate. And even NY city has become one of the "safer" cities.

#170678 - 01/10/09 02:59 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: dancer9]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
If I'm prejudice, I don't know about it!

#170688 - 01/10/09 06:38 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: jabber]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mij,
Some of us are tired of going round and round the subject but cannot leave the thread because of their strong feelings regarding racism. If one devotes their life to a problem like this, as I have, one cannot sit and watch some things written that I might find offensive or wrong.

I know that racism will exist, it is ignorance and people are afraid of what they are ignorant about but I cannot let slide some comments about certain races or about how I, personally feel, (such as statements like "everyone has prejudice," without speaking out.

For myself, I have spent a lifetime on the edge of racism trying to put a stop to it. I have a son who is studying something close to this at university moving on toward his doctorate in a related subject. He, too, is fighting bigotry in all forms.

We both can't stop fighting it, we just can't.

"If one of us is chained, none of us are free"
Ray Charles, "It's my World"

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#170708 - 01/10/09 09:04 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
DITTO to what Dancer said above... I was in show business as she is and there is a vast difference in how people/entertainers treat, and think of one another. If there was racism in that professioin it was well hidden and never displayed. In that business in particular we were all as one, color, race, orientation, it never mattered for a second... It still doesn't matter to me whatever others would like you to believe.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170779 - 01/11/09 07:34 AM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: chatty lady]
Mij Offline

Dancer, you posted this on December 30th (I'm editing out information that has also been repeated and not pertinent to my post):

Originally Posted By: dancer9
I agree that one must confront their racism to get rid of it but I will NEVER admit that I have racism in my blood, and neither would anyone who knows me. I've spent my life fighting it, my son carries on after me.
. . .
Chatty has been around a culture that does not allow for racism and I know she has none in her.
It's just the way it is. Anyone else, I just don't know about but I see racist statements being made on the forum again and again, leaving me a bit sick. I leave this subject because I can't see it going anywhere else but finger pointing at this time.
. . .

It is now eleven days later, and I believe you have made your feelings quite clear that you and Chatty (and Chatty has said so herself) are not racist in any way at all, and you have stated multiple times that your son joins you in this. You have both said repeatedly that you are both color-blind. I believe we all now understand your feelings on this issue.

However, Seek was stating her opinions not attacking anybody personally, and her last discussion regarding that all people are prejudiced was several pages back and haven't been repeated. Anno too, if you read back, stated:
Originally Posted By: Anno
I am not proud to say that I have racist tendencies, but in my heart, I believe we all do. It's recognizing these beliefs and questioning them that help us grow.
This could have led to others sharing their conflicting feelings about racism, but then people got defensive, people were misquoted, and the subject became uncomfortable. I think it is a shame because the subject Seek brought up was a good one and worth discussing.

I have wanted to contribute to this thread for a long while now. A lot of areas have been explored that are intriguing and thought-provoking, especially the claims made about how much racism is being displayed throughout this thread. I agree, I see a great deal of racism and cultural stereotyping going on here, although I'm certain my viewpoint might not mesh with the viewpoints of others.

But it's difficult with a few people seemingly determined to show complete disrespect for the postings of others by claiming their thoughts are the "same old same old" "boring rhetoric" that is "beating a dead horse."

Once again, hopefully others who were participating in this thread will return.

#170786 - 01/11/09 12:05 PM Re: Racism Sucks... [Re: Mij]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats my personal opinion Mij, and if you are so interested in everyone having their opinions heard then there should be no problem with mine either, right?? Or do I see yet another underlying double standard? I tell it like I see it, always have and always will. NO one has to agree with me.

Anno is never argumentative or hurtful, she is honest and sincere and there in lies the difference between her and some others just talking to hear themselves.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved