The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 54 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#160026 - 09/16/08 03:08 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Mountain Ash]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
MountainAsh! What a lovely day! I wish that I could be there with you! I may get back to you about the Maggie Center. My SIL travels quite alot..so maybe he would consider such a place..if he needs it.

I am just checking in because I miss you all. I am at home today because my IBS tummy had an acute attack last nite. And I was "running" most of the nite. I am totally cleansed now..not a bad feeling actually wink..but still pretty shakey.

My own life is pretty good to me..it´s everyone near me..around me, that is having a hard time. And this, of course, leaves me worried and sad at times. But otherwise, everything is ok. So I am very grateful for my own blessings.

I am finding that I have more time to relax now that my son is in the US smile and this is not a bad thing. My partner and I spent Sunday at our favorite coffee spot among the trees. They staid open for us a bit longer so that we could enjoy our coffee break. It´s such a lovely spot..right in the middle of a nature park.. Later we did some much needed shopping for our bathroom..which feels good,too. That we finally got it done! grin

Gosh..that´s about it! I don´t have so much else to say..except that I am sending you all a big HELLO and lots of hugs from my part of the world..

#160037 - 09/16/08 05:26 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: humlan]
Mountain Ash Offline

Humlan.
and everyone.

Wonderful woman Maggie. and the concept just the best I know.
maggie's

Maggie's
-----------------------------------------------------------------

* About Maggie's

* Maggie Keswick Jencks

History of Maggie's Centres

Maggie’s is a place for people who have cancer and their families and friends. It was founded by Maggie Keswick-Jencks and guided by her experience as a cancer patient.

After receiving her diagnosis, Maggie found she had many questions:

How am I going to deal with this?
What are the questions that I should have asked my doctor, but didn’t?
Who am I going to turn to?
I will be having medical treatment, but is there anything else I can do to make myself better?

Maggie had no prior knowledge of cancer and found herself being given bewildering fragments of advice from many different sources outside the hospital.

She felt that people like herself would benefit from a Centre that would enable them to address all aspects of living with cancer and inform themselves about the medical realities of the disease.

This led her to develop the blueprint for a Centre where people could access emotional and psychological support and information in a relaxed and homely environment. She died in 1995 and the Centre she envisaged opened in 1996. Today the Maggie’s Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust has gone on to open a further 4 Centres, with 7 more in the pipeline, accessible to anyone affected by cancer.

The goal of Maggie’s Centres is to keep people who have cancer as healthy in mind and body as possible, by enabling them to participate actively in the treatment of their disease.

Maggie’s is not an alternative to regular medical treatment, but an important partnership with your doctor, you will feel more hopeful, less isolated and more in control of your situation.

Maggie's Centre network continues to evolve. There are five Centres open in Scotland and three interim services operational in Scotland, England and Wales. Maggie's London opened in Spring 2008 and there are a further 6 purpose built Centres planned for completion by 2012.

The first Maggie’s Centre, designed by Richard Murphy, opened at Western General Hospital in Edinburgh in 1996. By 1999 it had become apparent that the Centre needed to expand and so an extension was planned and built. Today the Edinburgh Centre is very well used and has 17,000 visits a year.

Maggie's Centres can be found in the following locations:

Open Centres:

* Edinburgh
* Glasgow
* Dundee
* Highlands
* Fife
* London

Mountain ash

#160106 - 09/17/08 01:57 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Mountain Ash]
humlan Offline

Thank you MountainAsh. I will save this info for future use. If needed. It sounds wonderful and a blessing to so many. Maggie herself must have been someone very very special.

Thank you!

#160115 - 09/17/08 02:36 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MA, this sounds similar to the Hope Well Center in our town, but there is only one. Amazing what can happen when one woman has a vision.

#160147 - 09/17/08 08:13 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Your vision Dotsie is the perfect example of that, and here we all are!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160206 - 09/18/08 05:15 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

I agree..Vision from one woman.
Maggie and Dotsie

Mountain ash

#160208 - 09/18/08 05:26 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

And so many other women around the world!

#160553 - 09/22/08 09:49 AM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Dotsie]
Mountain Ash Offline

Open Doors again this weekend.
We chose the Oat Factory and a very old country church.

Quaker oats opened their doors for the first time.We queued for ne hour in our car.It was well worth the wait.
The process was explained and a 45 minute tour was of great interest.The firm export to many countries.Denmark use more of an oat cereal than they do cornflakes.There is arefional preference in UK and the firm cater for this.Saudi Arabia use a product packed in tins extensivly during Ramadaan where it helps by being held in the system longer during fasting due to the GI factor.
I really like seeing an end product in a work place.I must be a manufacturer at heart.Grain in...breakfast cereal out.

The church was quaint.Little and in the midst of fields.The usual congregation being 20 .A minister is shared by four village churches.It had a little graveyard a manse(Ministers house in Scotland) where a scottish paiter of note was born.(Wilkie of Pitlessie Fair note)*
so these visits have enriched my September.And will be repeated .then I'll catch up with those I missed.

PITLESSIE FAIR
In this picture the artist painter a local green with a country fair attended by a crowd of people.When viewed the villages saw their own faces painted and some were offended.The fair has been reinacted so the locals may have forgiven the artist.
Mountain ash

#160578 - 09/22/08 05:37 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

MA, the country church sounds like such a treat. So different from what I'm use to in the US. Our church has a manse and the misiter once lived there with his fmaily, but years ago, the house was knowcked down. Now there's a prayer labyrinth on the property. It's touching to see people stop and walk it at any time of the day or week.

#160591 - 09/22/08 06:13 PM Re: Check-in..Tell us how you are doing.. [Re: Dotsie]
humlan Offline

Oh, MountainAsh..the church and its surroundings sounds just like something out of Midsommar Murders..don´t you think?

Well.. if the Danes use alot of oats it may be their secret then..they are classed as the happiet people in the world..did you know that? We actually believe in oat cereal here in Sweden,too. Very much. It is eaten mainly by the Northern Swedes where the weather can get very cold in the winter..and it´s dark most of the day. But Swedes are not classified as that happy..hmm..but we Swedes wink are very different from the Danes. The Danes are laid back people who can really enjoy the good things in life..like a good meal and cigar afterwards..and they don´t drive themselves into the ground with ambition..

Anyhoo..your day sounded just wonderful! SO INTERESTING!!!

PS I am going to watch one of my Midsommar Murders dvds and take it real easy. Maybe I am becoming Danish..who knows??? cool

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved