The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#164121 - 10/30/08 05:23 PM Marriage Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
How about we share marriage proposal stories? The idea was sparked by the How I met my spouse or SO.

This is very romantic...and corny.

I had my own apartment at the time. I'd worked all day and knew Ross was going to be there making our dinner. After eating, Ross went in the kitchen and then reappeared by my side with a cake. I thought it was kinda cool that he baked me a cake, but I didn't know what was written on it. When he knelt down, the cake said:

Will you please marry me?

Tada. That's my sweet story. Now let's hear yours.

#164124 - 10/30/08 05:33 PM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Awww, Dots... did you tear up?

Nothing romantic or exciting with me and mine...
We had been going steady for a little over five years and mutually decided it was time. His older brother had wed a few months prior and their life looked so 'settled,' for the lack of a better word. I think it had always been in my stars to be a wife, even though sometimes [nowadays] I feel I'd like to be free, intermittently anyway. Maybe 'change' is to me, as it is to Kathy... a need being realized.

#164276 - 11/01/08 11:47 AM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gims, we also dated for a long time; four years. It had always bee in my stars to be a wife and mother too.

IS there a way to be intermittently free? Maybe a weekend away?

#164279 - 11/01/08 11:59 AM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
First proposal: On the phone. We "phoned dated" for about 11 days before our first date.

Second proposal: In the tire aisle of Sam's Club! (Ah, each time I go there I walk in that area and smell sweet aromas!! LOL!)

Third, and final proposal was here...at Elephant Butte Dam in NM near where I loved.

On our THIRD date, we got married. First date was Aug 25...married Sept 26, 1996.

This proposal was VERY romantic...he was on bended knee. No engagement ring (just did not need/want one since we both had past marriages and, to me, a "diamond" never made a marriage last longer!), but the events that ensued were so....storybook!!

Edited by Di (11/01/08 12:00 PM)

#164364 - 11/02/08 06:46 PM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Di, why the tire aisle? Now that's different.

I like the style of your current hubby best!

#164372 - 11/02/08 11:35 PM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I love these charming stories!

#164381 - 11/02/08 11:59 PM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
don't know, dots, but it sounds good... I don't mean free from being married, but free to roam (as in jump in the car and go somewhere without telling someone where I'm going - a respectful must for married people) when an urge to 'fly' hits....

#164382 - 11/03/08 12:20 AM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Gims, I get that urge so often, which is why I relish those little getaways. My hubby and I have always been open about this, and I think he understands my need to have time to go and do what I want.

Now, his proposal - kind of funny. We had been living together for 7 years, and were on a little weekend getaway in Big Bear. I had won it in a contest at work for most ad sales, otherwise we couldn't afford to take trips like that.

We had a nice dinner, then he walked me out onto the pier overlooking the lake in the moonlight. He was really quiet for a bit, and then he looked me in my eyes and asked me to marry him. Well, I'm sorry, but it had been so long of living together that I was shocked, and I laughed and said "Are you kidding?". But he was sincere - and the poor guy never does anything romantic, so I guess I messed it up for him.

We went shopping later for our rings; must have cost about $350 for my set and his band. We're not into diamonds or jewels at all. In fact, I get upset if he spends lots of money on jewelry for me, so he has learned to get me other gifts. Diamonds do NOT make a marriage, as you can see by our 7 years of being together, followed by 25 years of marriage.

Gims, where do you live? We should plan a little girls getaway!

Kathy

#164384 - 11/03/08 12:38 AM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: gims
don't know, dots, but it sounds good... I don't mean free from being married, but free to roam (as in jump in the car and go somewhere without telling someone where I'm going - a respectful must for married people) when an urge to 'fly' hits....

Great little story, Dotsie.

In response to gims remarks...sure, one of us just jumps on their bike and the person is gone for the rest of the day. Believe me, you can see alot on bike for 10 hrs. ...and cafe visits on your own for replenishment.

and we don't have cellphones nor do we phone one another during the time apart when this happens. so really, I don't have a clear idea on certain days, where he is in the city nor does he about me. it's no sweat and it really is freedom.

he would be supportive of me if I chose to go off for few days with gals. In fact, I have this feeling, he would support it because he knows it would get me out of hermit-tendencies. Or even cycling by myself. Though he might worry about my less-than-good wayfinding skills... smile

#164388 - 11/03/08 02:01 AM Re: Marriage Proposals [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
We got married at sunset in the autumn on a bluff overlooking Lake Tahoe. I could have worn hiking boots. Just me, him, minister. He had tears in his eyes during the ceremony ( not the minister) and when I mentioned it, he said the sun was in his eyes. I did not bring to his attention that the sun was setting behind him! the proposal? He said, "You're right. It's inevitable. We should get married." Not so romantic. Yet it has been 20 years. We decided not to have children (by the time I was emotionally mature enough it was biologically too late) but I am my most content when at home. Gims and me have a hermitage. Which I will inhabit for a while longer whilst I get myself together. See you all later!

Edited by Princess Lenora (11/03/08 02:24 AM)
Edit Reason: after thought

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved