The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#168616 - 12/23/08 02:13 AM What movie would U see?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
If you could see only one movie before the end of the year, which would it be:
Last Chance Harvey
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Seven Pounds
Doubt
Australia
or what?
only one, in the theater
but not Marley... that's for Netflix

#168632 - 12/23/08 07:46 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I probably won't make it to the theater before the new year, but I would choose 7 Pounds.

Marley? Yes, it's an at home Movie for me, too. Doubt sounds too heavy for this time of year and The Curious Case is not intriguing me for some reason.

And you?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#168754 - 12/24/08 02:00 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Anno]
Deborahmce Offline

Loc: Arkansas
For me...I would first see Benjamin Button..hoping to get to a movie within the next week.

#168760 - 12/24/08 03:04 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Deborahmce]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
That new Disney movie, Bedtime Stories, looks like a lot of fun...we might take ourselves out for that one next week.

(Maya Angelou)

#168792 - 12/24/08 10:26 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have the Marley and Me book, and do see it at home because you'll laugh but you'll also cry like a baby. I did and do everytime I read any of the book again. SUPER book!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#168796 - 12/24/08 12:42 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'd see Marley, and am going to try to do so. Animal movies remind me of my MIL. She saw every single one, ususally cries and embarrassed my kids. I'd like to see it with my daughter because I know ti will remind her of Nana, but not sure if she's the one I'll see it with - probably Ross.

#169266 - 12/29/08 01:30 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

We saw Curious Case Benjamin Button. We both liked it, a lot. It is a thought provoking story. There are only 2-3 scenes where you, the viewer, can say, "That's Brad Pitt." One scene is when he is in his thirties, on a motorcycle, with a forest scene background, and the other is when he is sailing on the ocean. Excellent acting. Amazing story. It was emotionally intense for me. I think it's a great movie for baby boomers, those in mid life, neither young nor old. Oh, and the movie is about how we need each other to care for each other, no matter how distant or close the relationship.

#169356 - 12/29/08 05:36 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Princess Lenora]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I went to see "Doubt". I thought it was a movie of real substance, and Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman gave outstanding performances. Meryl Streep can play any character. This movie will really make you think about a lot of important things in our everyday lives -- truth, lies, doubt, ethics, sacrifice and on and on.

#169366 - 12/29/08 09:01 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: cyclinggal]
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, Doubt is on my list.

#169698 - 01/01/09 11:52 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi PL. I only get movies from the library, but if I did go to a theater, I would see any one of them except Australia. I'm just not feelin' it.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#169708 - 01/02/09 12:23 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I would see "Doubt," with Meryl Streep and the world of Benjamin, etc.. the new movie by Brad Pitt as it is said he is after an Oscar with the role.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#169988 - 01/04/09 02:55 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I snuck out to see Marley and Me one day while everyone was watching football. It was a cute story, but it can certainly wait for home viewing. I like Jennifer Aniston and wanted to see her with Owen Wilson (he's a nut.) They were a fun couple.

I also like Meryl Streep so I may step out to see Doubt. I like paying to see the boomer women. It makes me think I'm doing my part to help them continue in an industry where younger women are casted to act for roles of older women.

#169997 - 01/04/09 03:40 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I must've put my movie reviews in the wrong thread. "Ladies in Purple," fits the scenario of which you speak, Dotsie. I am anxious to see Marley and Me. I read the book and loved it except when they had to put Marley down. It was about the time I put Shadow down. And that was hard. Tim Allen & Jobeth Williams
are in the lighthearted, good feeling movie, "Jungle2Jungle."
Loved that. I put my DVD review over in the hints thread.
Sorry.

#170069 - 01/05/09 02:36 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Anybody watch Prison Break. Hubby and I got hooked on that.
The writing is amazing: They have more ups and downs, twists and turns than the back roads of Colorado.

#170257 - 01/07/09 01:58 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

jabber, yes, the end is very sad, but it's a cute story.

I didn't read Marley and Me, but I'm reading John Grogan's memoir. He's a spectacular writer. I've laughed out loud many times. He's brutally honest. It's a great book for boomers to read and reminisce about their childhoods. It really takes me back.

#170393 - 01/08/09 01:31 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Gran Torino with the masterful Clint Eastwood. He does something in his movie many wish they could also do.

Dotsie, MARLEY and ME was an excellent Grogan book. Filled with emotion and examples of how people need to treat and love a pet once brought into their family. NO, dogs and cats are not disposable as so many humans seem to think they are when they might be inconvenienced by them from time to time...GRRRRR!!!

#170432 - 01/08/09 03:12 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My daughter and I went to see Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt and were so bored we left in the middle.

Dots, have you read any of Anne Tyler's books? They are all placed in you area.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#170817 - 01/11/09 03:16 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, I've read several of her books. People from Baltimroe are so proud of her. She lived (not sure if she still does) about\five miles from us.

Our book club once talked about reading one of her books and inviting her to the discussion. That would be so cool, but a long shot for sure.

What books of hers have you read?

#170828 - 01/11/09 03:47 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i have just seen twilight, a new take on the old vampire type movie, very intenses and anxitie. But vampirtes are just people too right! lol.

#170830 - 01/11/09 04:22 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: celtic_flame]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I saw Valkyrie last night. It was so good. I would recommend it to anyone. I do NOT like war movies, spies, James Bond, and all that other stuff...but I absolutely was on the edge of my seat through this entire movie. It's worth the highway robbery price to go see it! Tom Cruise (who I don't care for) was outstanding!

I read this morning he "may" be sued for using the globe in the movie that once belong to Hitler without permission. I swear...some people.

#170914 - 01/12/09 01:03 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am suppose to go see it on Monday night with my new friend Glenn. He saw it and said he wanted to see it again it was that good. I also don't care for Tom Cruise but if you like it JJ, I'm there!!!

#170936 - 01/12/09 01:45 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Chatty, I want to see Gran Tornio too. Looks great!

For those of us who haven't read the book or seen the movie of MARLEY and ME, thanks for telling me the ending.... I had no idea. I may not watch it if it ends that way...

K

#171071 - 01/13/09 09:14 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm waiting for the next Star Trek movie where Zachary Quinto plays Spock.

Poet and essayist

#174067 - 02/09/09 02:19 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: meredithbead]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Woo Hoo, another Sci-Fi fan, yayyyyy! I cannot wait to see the new Star Trek Movie. I went to see the new verson of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and I saw the preview of the new Star Trek Movie. It looked phenomenal and it was almost like looking up at the USS Enterprise itself.

Okay, sorry I got carried away. I am waiting anxiously for the new Stargate series to come out too!!! It's called Stargate: Universe!

Cheers,
Cathi

#174281 - 02/11/09 04:01 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Wisdom&Life]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I didn't realize another Stargate series was being made. Since I saw every last one of SG-1 and Atlantis, of course I'll be watching the new one as well.

Poet and essayist

#174451 - 02/12/09 11:16 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DD, sorry about that. I saw the moive and it was precious.

I've since read a memoir written by the guy who wrote Marley and Me. OMG - it was over the top. I get sent lots of books to promote and review, etc. I was looking for something to read and had just seen Marley and Me when this memoir came in. Otherwise, I never would have read it. Who wants to read a sorta ordinary man's memoir? Anyway, it's an up close and personal walk through his child and adulthood. I cried tears at times, and roared loudly. The guy's a great writer. SO much of what he worte about was similar to expereinces I had while growing up in the 60s and 70s. It was great. I let my SIL read it, and she thought the same.

#174470 - 02/13/09 03:10 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Dotsie, as you know I love to read memoirs. What is the title of the one you are talking about? Are you saying it's the same author as Marley and Me? Is it The Longest Trip Home? I hope I got it right because based on your recommendation I put it on my holds at the library.

Edited by Princess Lenora (02/13/09 03:19 AM)

#174568 - 02/13/09 10:53 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am dying to go see "TAKEN" starring Liam Neison. I hope to go on Sunday afternoon.

#174569 - 02/13/09 10:58 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dancing Dolphin not seeing the movie because it ends sadly is the same as not eating the chocolate cake because then it will be gone....

The entire movie is a delight and you'll love it, The end is a natural thing, we all die...Go see it, you'll be happy you did. Marley sticks in our minds afterwards in such a happy way.

OH, and have a hunk of cake, maybe two, then when its gone, simply make or buy another one, yes???

#174575 - 02/13/09 11:59 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Chatty, I don't think I would skip it because of a sad ending - - it's the fact that now I KNOW the ending. I don't like watching a movie that someone has already told me how it ends. I'm weird that way.

Speaking of movies, it's snowing like crazy here and probably will be all weekend. Hubby just called from the video store and he's bringing home several flicks. I guess we'll spend our weekend watching movies, shoveling snow, watching movies, shoveling snow....

#174593 - 02/14/09 07:00 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Whenever the rain stops long enough for the sky to clear, I look north and say "Wow, Kathy must be snowed in!" because the mountains are completely white.

For those of you who don't know -- Kathy is about 2 hours north of me, in the mountains at 6000' (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.) I'm at maybe 60', never snowed since I moved here in 1980, but I can DRIVE to snow in 30 minutes if I feel a need to see it up close. No, Kathy, I'm not bringing a shovel. LOL

Poet and essayist

#174613 - 02/14/09 03:12 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: meredithbead]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Ah Meredith, where's your sense of adventure? Shovels aren't just for moving snow around - - when my hubby was a teen, he and his friends would take their shovels to the top of the ski hill, sit on the shovel part with the handle in front of them, hold on, and slide all the way down the hill. I'm amazed they all survived!

We only got about 6-8" last night, and supposedly we'll have a break in the weather until Sunday afternoon/evening, when they are saying we might get 2-3 FEET! I just have to remind myself - - shoveling snow burns 800 calories per hour!

Okay, sorry for hijacking the topic. Back to movies! We watched Pineapple Express last night. I think you need to smoke pot while you are watching it to get the most out of it - Dan thought it was funny, but it was 'guy' funny, especially if you have memories of pot-smoking days from the 60's and 70's. And of course, he fell asleep about 30 minutes before it was over and I was still awake watching until the end, even though I didn't really like it.

#182939 - 05/25/09 02:27 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jawjaw]
MustangGal
Unregistered

celtic, I finally watched Twilight this holiday weekend with my nieces. Although I'll wait for the DVD, I actually looking forward to no. 2 out this year. Has anyone read the books?

#185809 - 07/03/09 06:55 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: ]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Meredith, did you ever see the new Star Trek movie? I think it was a long over due movie and I enjoyed it very much. Of course, I started balling at the end when they played the older theme song. My dad was a trekkie and we use to watch it together when I was a little girl. So the music brought back memories.

Anyway, I am interested in seeing if there will be sequels, which I can't imagine there not being any. It will be interesting to see the kind of Spock they will have in this alternate time.

IMO, they did a great job and I am glad to have seen it on the big screen!

Cheers,
Cathi

#185977 - 07/05/09 06:26 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
A must see in "Proposal " a must see it is very funny Sandra Bullock , and the view of Alaska is breath taking in the movie . We loved it last night . Betty White of course is and the little white dog stold the spotlight .

I heard the new Star Trek movie is wonderful , my daugther and hubby went to see it . I heard the old spock made a cameo apperance . Am I correct on that one .

Best,
Sadie

#185986 - 07/05/09 10:54 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Sadie]
jabber Offline

Love Betty White. Haven't seen any of the movies previously mentioned. But WB and I go to movies while on vacation; so perhaps in Sept. we'll catch one or two. Thanks for sharing the
ones you enjoyed.

#185987 - 07/05/09 10:56 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I was thinking about Dancing Dolphin in the middle of the night,
last night. Wondering where in world she has been. I don't recall seeing any of her posts, lately.

#185996 - 07/06/09 12:13 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Quote:
I heard the old spock made a cameo apperance . Am I correct on that one .

Yes, and it was really neat. Honestly, the younger Spock looks very much the same as the original Spock did in the series.

To tell you anymore would be to give much of it away.

Cheers,
Cathi

#186116 - 07/08/09 02:04 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Last night I watched Last Chance Harvey. I've never particulary been a big fan of Dustin Hoffman, but I think did a great job of playing Harvey Shine. Some great scenes in the movie. Some sad, some funny. Later, after midnight, I was channel surfing and came across Kramer vs. Kramer. Seeing the young Hoffman with his dark hair and comparing him to the white haired older Hoffman, I think I like the older one better.

#186128 - 07/08/09 02:01 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Louisa]
jabber Offline

Saw Kramer vs. Kramer; it was the first movie WB and I saw as a
couple. Never saw Last Chance Harvey. What's that about?

Edited by jabber (07/09/09 01:52 PM)

#186154 - 07/08/09 04:46 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Would you believe that I saw Kramer vs. Kramer the weekend after my divorce? I had no idea what it was about. I was blubbering when I came out of the movie...course, so was everyone else.

I saw NEW IN TOWN, and thought it was a cute movie. I too want to see TAKEN. I heard it would keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I'm not a Trekkie, but I think I would enjoy the new movie. I do like Star Trek as a filler sometimes when nothing else is on.

Call me crazy, but the one I want to see the most is the new Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs! I can't wait to see that one.

#186201 - 07/09/09 01:55 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Now that I think about it, I was recently divorced from my son's
father when I saw Kramer vs Kramer. Geese! Wasn't focused on that. I was just concerned whether this new guy was a good idea or not! LOL...guess he was okay! It's been almost 29 of
marriage.

Edited by jabber (07/09/09 01:55 PM)

#186331 - 07/11/09 11:25 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

JJ, I know a few people who were freaked out after watching Taken. I'll explain after you see it. I would never watch it because I don't like watching upsetting movies like that.
Ross and my daughter watched it together. I went in the other room and read. My daughter joked and yelled in that I should have been watching with them. I don't think so. It's scary as heck.

I'm going to see My Sister's Keeper with two sisters and my sister-in-law. I'll let you know how it is. Anyone read the book?

#187615 - 08/03/09 04:39 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Cathi, sorry I'm a few weeks late answering. YES, I saw Star Trek and absolutely loved it. So much that we almost sat in the theater for a second go-round but decided to just see it when it comes to dvd.

I thought all the actors did a good job channeling the essence of the original characters. Simon Pegg as Scotty was a real hoot.

Then, we still watch reruns of the original Star Trek week nights 10pm if we're not watching anything else, so I'm pretty hard-core.

Poet and essayist

#187748 - 08/05/09 11:38 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I can't wait to go and see Julie and Julia about Julia Childes...

Meryl Streep could be her twin, and talk about funny. I saw coming attractions and laughed myself sick. Plus I cook many of her awesome recipes.

#187765 - 08/05/09 06:40 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Harry Potter! I have'nt been yet as I'd rather wait for the DVD. Went with the grandchildren to visit one of the sets of the next HP film though.

#187780 - 08/05/09 11:25 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Lola]
Saundra Offline

I saw all of the movies on the list from Page 1 and most of the others discussed. I recently went on a binge with Harry Potter and happily saw all of them, urged by a friend.

I liked the movie, but give me a break with these vegetarian vampires in Twilight. Blood is blood and animals are not vegetables.

I haven't seen Star Trek, but I did work for Gene Roddenberry at Paramount Pictures (about 100 years ago) when he was making the 1st Star Strek movie. What a blast.

#187856 - 08/07/09 12:26 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

How about OBSESSED with Bioncee? Looks like quite the thriller.

#187891 - 08/07/09 04:11 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

Chatty, there is only one person ahead of me in the library reservations for OBSESSED. Can't wait. I love Beyonce's movies. She was in Cadillac Road.

If I had a friend here who loved food as much as I do, I would pay the movie price to see Julie & Julia. As it is, I will patiently wait for the DVD at the library.

#187950 - 08/08/09 05:14 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

OBSESSED - Saw it and was a bit disappointed. Good acting and Beyonce has some great scenes, but it is similar to The Temp, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, and The Nanny. This one could have been called The Hand That Rocks The Rolodex.

#188016 - 08/10/09 11:07 AM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

The Soloist with Robery Downey, Jr. and Jamie Foxx. Great fact-based story.

#188021 - 08/10/09 03:19 PM Re: What movie would U see? [Re: Saundra]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I saw TAKEN and loved it. Mom and I watched it. I recently saw, "He's Just Not That Into You," and was disappointed. It was "okay," to say the least. I am dying to see Julie and Julia, just like you, Chatty....I bet it is going to be great.

Dots, I read "My Sister's Keeper," and really liked the book. Haven't seen the movie.

I saw the previews for three movies (they may be old, I don't know) that I want to see. They are:

17-Again
Sunshine Cleaning
The Visitor

Anybody seen these?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved