The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 91 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172806 - 01/27/09 10:30 AM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: Edelweiss3]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
wow dotsie what an exilent example of making positive changes for yourself both in doing and in attitude jumping on bandwagon.

since iv stopped doing and fixing lifes a lot easier lol and i try my hardest not to get boggeed dowen with the complaining and keeping it positive BUt (i hope) not just dismissing peoples problems. If i at a frrends i wipe my feet on the way out, i just leave their problems with them and no not give them someplace to live in my mind.

i am happier and thier just the same smile

exilent that your sister picked up your dad dutises (oganising but asking for help) thats a great model to work from with everyone sharring taskes.

i bet its unusule it ends that way as people get confused with stuff sometimes, well i do anyway.

#172807 - 01/27/09 10:37 AM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
EW as usule i focus in on A and how hard it must be for you to witness this stuff and know she their so more power for you for doing it and remaining a support and offerring her the love that you do.

I think in a room of 1000 of people ask your question of what and how normale is normale or maybee functioning correctlie and few will raise their hand, of course their be exeptions but few will be actulie living it.

you can only do some of it yourself as it take all familie members to particapate. I don't reallie know experientallie what a good functioning familie is lol But i do know when it aint working and what to do about that in my owen circumstanses.

I know what works ina relashionship and its respect, trust, honestie and above all communicasion and maturitie. Perhapps a working familie is just a larger group of what a good relashionship is. Maybee not the best relashionship but good enough.

I don't think its the issues or the problems or the fighting that matters the most. Thats all bound to come up and is par for the course if not healthie. It what is done in thse situasion that matters the most. Perhapps thats what makes families work well together.

good luck anyway my frend and rember thers only so much any one person can do! The rest is theirs

#172817 - 01/27/09 02:08 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Edelweiss, my dear, dear friend. I am so sorry that your life is a burden and a heavy weight once again. Please find a way to escape for a day or two at least. Get away from the madness for a bit, be by yourself and with yourself and let your worries go.

I have so many thoughts, and I hope I do not ramble too much.

I have no idea what a normal family is, anymore than you. My family is tiny and we don't see each other very often. With no children in my life, I can't fully understand that dynamic, either.

I do know happy families with children and grandchildren and parents and grandparents. Sure they have their moments, but they seem to be there for each other most of the time. I know healthy families exist.

Like Dotsie, I believe that looking to the positive side has a big impact on my view of the world. January has been a tough month for us, and rather than getting overly upset and crying a river, I decided to take action. Dennis and I could easily have fought over every little matter, but both of us believe life is way top short to expend energy on a drawn out battle. Yes, we spoke our piece, but it never led to much more than a tear or two, and then a kiss and a hug.

As far as seeing a psychiatrist, in his own way, perhaps your husband is on the right track. Please don't stop reading or get angry with me here. I think going to a coucelor (not a doctor, unless you need meds) might be a terrific idea. It doesn't seem if you have anyone that listens to you completely or that is on your side no matter what. Unless you are able to safely speak your mind, it always dwells in the back of the brain. Don't look at going to see a professional as a deficit, but as a investment in your life.

I am almost done, I promise.

I suggest that you set and strengthen your boundaries. You raised your children, let them go. You do not owe them anymore, at this time. When they are able to come to you with love, accept them. When they come to you with anger or anomosity - tell them to leave. When your husband is cruel, smile and walk away.

It's so easy to take on someone else's negativity, as others have suggested. You do not need to hold your son and dil's stuff. And remember, A had you and your love during her most important bonding years. She will never, ever forget those days, and it will impact her more than you will ever know. You are not the reason your husband once again is being negative and unsupportive. That is his stuff. Let him deal with his stuff and you deal with your own.

I pray that I have no way unintentionally offended you. It is the last thing on my mind.

Love and hugs to you. Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#172821 - 01/27/09 02:44 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: Anno]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
It's those doggone subtle digs that bug me. Hubby and his mom
don't say much. But when they do, it is generally a dig buried
inside the kindness of a smile. And I doubt if anybody knows
what a normal family is. Who desides what's normal? Probably
some quack with four doctorates.

#172822 - 01/27/09 03:52 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Anno, I had a feeling maybe I shouldn't have written what my husband said to me. People might think there could be a grain of truth in it. But I wrote it to show my husband's criticizing character. I know you meant well, and I would never get angry at you. I value your comments, and I can only learn from you.

I also understand if you and others think I am unable to let go. Maybe I give that impression. That is not the case, really. I am more than happy that I have my life back again and can go after my own interests. I sometimes see grandmothers with their grandchildren, and I literally physically feel a sense of relief that I don't have that responsibility anymore.

My problem is that my son and DIL, despite their own problems, have a chip on their shoulder with me. I can only explain it as jealousy. My son can be terribly impatient and insulting. And instead of dealing with my son's hostile behaviour; my husband says I need help because I am hurt by it. Whaaat?

I know my son will be nice to me again. And I know he really loves me. But I'm not giving anymore. Just last month, he asked us to give him a huge amount of money. We refused. He is walking a tight rope between his marriage and his unrestrained spending. So he needs someone to lash out at, - and has chosen me; the safe harbour, where he can always land his half-sinking ship. For a refreshing change, - this harbour is moving on to friendlier places.

I feel better today. Gosh venting is so good for the soul. I got two new real-estate contracts in to sell. One of them is a gorgeous ranch, with beautiful horses; had to think of Mustang. She would love it.

Thank you Anno, and thank you Celtic too for all your valuable advice. I love my girlfriends here.

Oh and Jabber,… just like when we were little and believed in princesses and the perfect prince, I think we have been indoctrinated through ideal images we have seen in TV shows. I always thought "Leave it to Beaver" was the ideal normal family. It's high time I shake THAT image off. I know what you mean about the subtle digs. Maybe they are even more "dangerous" than the face to face insults. I don't know.

#172835 - 01/27/09 05:58 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
There is another side to the psychiatric dig. My mother needed psychiatric help. She wanted help. But my step father kept saying how they were all money-grubbing quakes, etc. I think he was afraid of what she would learn in therapy, ie. that his hatefulness contributed to her depression.

#172836 - 01/27/09 06:08 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

I in no way wanted what I said to be interpreted that you need psychiatric help. I was simply thinking how wonderful it is to have someone in your life that listens. Just listens.

I have done both counceling and life coaching. As I am a certified life coach, I lean towards that. I love having someone in my life that listens and helps me set goals.

It's this type of relationship that I was referring to, not that you were the problem.

You have a two loving sons, for that you are blessed. I am happy to hear that venting helped and you found a safe place to let go. This has been a safe haven for me, too.

Love to you.

#172854 - 01/27/09 08:49 PM Re: Family conflicts? How normal is normal? [Re: ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Anno, my friend, I understood that in your first post. You said that quite clearly that you don't think I need a doctor, but just someone to talk to.
And you are right. So very right. Your proffesional expertise as a life coach, nailed the problem right on its head.
Hey, I'm an open book...what can I say.
So sweety, I'm sending you angel hugs, and thanking you for lending me your "ears" once again.

Anne 327,...yes learning how to detatch. YES! That's it. Do any of you life coaches have some free tips on that?

#172901 - 01/28/09 01:04 PM Self pity [Re: Edelweiss3]
Edelweiss3 Offline

This week, I have been wallowing in self pity, until last night. I don't know if it was an answer to my prayers or coincidence, whatever…it snapped me out of my doldrums.

I was actually dead tired, but for some reason kept zapping through the TV channels, when a movie caught my eye. The name is : Turtles Can Fly. Has anyone else seen it?

It's a documentary film about orphaned children in Afghanistan who have lost limbs and/or family members to land mines. It is a must see.

Not only did it push my own life back into perspective, where I thought how ungrateful I can be; it opened my eyes once again to the horrors going on in this world. I wish I could be there just for one of these children. Tomorrow I'm going to the bank to contribute what I can, in hope that it may buy at least one child an artificial limb.

And I gave my Hubby a hug today, and told him we will make it;..we will make it together. I think I sound a bit schizophrenic,…and maybe I am…Whatever, I've snapped out of it. And the nicest way to snap out of it, is to do something good for another human being who is so much worse off than oneself.

#172908 - 01/28/09 02:00 PM Re: Self pity [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anno Offline

Oh, yay, Edelweiss!! You sound so much healthier today.

We all wallow in self-pity once in a while. It is not only okay, but probably necessary to go through phases of sadness in order to appreciate what is around us.

I am going to look for Flying Turtles when I run through the channels. It sounds inspiring.

I am so happy that you are in a different place today. It's good to have happy Edelweiss back.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved