The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#172732 - 01/26/09 06:05 PM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: jabber]
Expat Offline

You are right, Jabber. I am definitely an amateur with forums but I did manage to try clicking on the envelope myself and found the shortcut. Thanks, though.

I have to agree with you about the couples living separate lives, together. Honestly, though, don't you think it's a sad state of affairs if marriage gets to that stage? What would be the point of getting married? confused

Anyway, I've come back from my appointment with the lawyer and it was very beneficial. I'd forgotten to mention that I've been to see her for advice before my first separation and she not only remembered me, but a lot of the details of my situation. What a memory! She's wants me to go away and consider how I really feel. If there is any chance of a reconciliation, then she recommends a separation. However, if I truly believe it is broken down, then she suggests going straight for divorce. I will be better off in the long run. She feels that if I go the legal separation route,if divorce is eventually imminent, he might not agree with any changes to the settlement. I will really have to dig deep into my heart for my answer. I came out feeling confident, though, which is a good thing.

Parallel, to that, my daughter stopped by today. She and I, along with my son, had a serious conversation about my plans. They are still supportive of me and that definitely makes me feel good.

#172738 - 01/26/09 08:02 PM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Expat]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Glad to hear you went though with the meeting. Even better is the fact that you feel confident.

When you say she want you to go away, do you mean to get away on your own for a few days and do some soul searching? IF so, take a journal!

I know you're scared, but can you put your finger on what you're afraid of?

Do you get at all excited about the thought of breaking free? If so, that might tell you something.

#172743 - 01/26/09 08:23 PM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Expat,
Yes. I guess marriage is a sad state sometimes. Glad the meeting went well. And very happy that your children are supportive of you. That is huge, in my book. I wish you well, whatever you
decide to do.

#172759 - 01/26/09 11:19 PM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'm sure that is a HUGE relief that your children are behind you. As a child myself, I care about what my parent's mental state is. But I also know it's their own decision in the end. Once you have the emotional support, along with the love from family friends, it truly is so helpful. Having sorta been there/done that, I remember all too well the feeling of "what might others think of me". When it's all said and done, you'll know how your true friends/family are!

#172772 - 01/27/09 12:52 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds like things are working themselves out the way it should be. Good news!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#172774 - 01/27/09 12:58 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Di]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Expat,
The Italians have some funny thoughts about marriage. For example, they say "You can't go back," meaning you can't get the feelings back, the passion back, towards something that has cooled.
They say "Marriages are made and broken in bed," meaning that is there is no passion, if there is no tenderness between two people, it's usually over.

You mentioned that you don't feel anything toward him so that brought to mind my Italian teachings! LOL. They turn out to be true so often!

They also say, in matters of love, "Follow your heart," so if your heart is not in it, in anything, for that matter, to them it's a waste of time.

I live this way. If I don't feel passion for something, I can't do it. If the passion is gone for me, it does not come back. Maybe bits and pieces now and again, but nothing lasting.

As I said in my post, all attorneys here in the US are told to first tell the people to try to fix their marriage or to ask if the marriage can be fixed. After this, they go ahead and represent you. So ~ Your lawyer is asking you if this marriage is completely broken.

Good luck and much support whatever you decide,

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#172785 - 01/27/09 03:35 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: dancer9]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Expat, some churches have divorce care seminars. Mayhap you could attend or speak with one of their counselors as you take time to decide. There maybe women of like mind with past similar experiences to share your thoughts and emotions. Also, from my past experience, I relished the quite time sitting in a chapel 'listening' for answers. Peace and quite in nature allows for us to listen to our innerself, too.

#172795 - 01/27/09 04:55 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: ]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Excellent advice, here. And MustangGal...that is a VERY good tip.

Expat.....call any church in your area. Does not need to be the one you attend. In fact, it should not be!!

#172799 - 01/27/09 08:17 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Di]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Dancer, I agree about the passion,..but some marriages get comfortable too, without passion; still the love has remained.

I recognized myself in your description. Sometimes I feel like I'm acting when we cuddle or hold hands. My heart isn't in it either. I do it, though,- to please my husband. I do it because I think that's the way it should be. But my heart isn't in it. So Expat, I just want to agree with Dancer; once the love is gone, it is very hard to rekindle it. I've been trying, and it is very hard. I have turned into a cold person, at least towards my husband. And that isn't me. I loved being in love. I loved feeling passionate...but something has turned dead. So if you can feel passionate about going on your own, - at least that is a form of feeling alive.

#172800 - 01/27/09 08:25 AM Re: Preparations for divorce [Re: Di]
Expat Offline

Good Morning,

I'm afraid I don't have time to respond at the minute, as I'm getting ready to go to work, so I'll be back later.

I do however, want to thank everyone who has given me their thoughts. I will be honest and say I felt my confidence returning the minute I started chatting with all of you.

Bye for now.

Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved