The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#177004 - 03/13/09 11:32 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Celtic,
Geocaching is an international hobby; whereby, items are hidden
in a natural setting: like, a tree; a nature preserve; under a bridge; in a forestry; in rocks; under fallen trees. The co-ordinates are given via GPS directionals. Since the invention of GPS's the sport of geocaching was birthed. WB is a Geologist; so this sort of thing tickles his fancy. And I love it too. Since we've been here in Kissimmee, we've traveled over 800 miles, to surrounding townships and have logged over 140 finds. Geocaching is the sport of hide and find by geocaching members. They have it in your country, too. Goggle [geocaching] and you can read about it. Hubby and I are
Wild Bill & Jabber. Luv and prayers,

Edited by jabber (03/13/09 11:37 PM)

#177026 - 03/14/09 02:06 AM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: celtic_flame]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
At this time, I am just yearning for a large fruit juice or large amount of fresh fruit for supper. I am a tad dehydrated. We are in Seattle right now.

How we weave in our different levels of doing stuff together:
I had a huge breakfast at the holiday inn. (cranberry juice, English muffin with peanut butter, cornflakes with skim milk, 2 sausage, some eggs, 1 small yogurt.and coffee. Big and selfish of me!) Hey it was part of the hotel stay. blush But maybe not a great idea cause...we biked out through downtown lunch hr. traffic in Seattle for about 40 min. He got off to examine a bike parking station and talk to folks there. Meanwhile I stood in long line-up in the sunshine at a hugely popular handmade dried meat and sauage plus sandwich place run by the father of the Iron Chef, Mario Batali. So 2 hrs. later I was eating a huge ciabatta sandwich with wonderful fennel sausage with onions, peppers and tomato sauce. crazy

He was still looking at the bike park station after being there for an hr. So I gave up saving 1/2 of sandwich for him and ate it. sick He did finish 1/2 hr. later..and bought same sandwich after lining up. crazy

Then I posed/demonstrated for photos he took on ease or difficulty of the indoor bike parking setup. I frequently pose as the "average" cyclist doing certain things or biking on a route for his research photo shoots.

By now, we are both terribly bloated. But ok, with gorgeous spring weather, we restart cycling by the waterfront with Cascade mountains ahead.

Seattle has some long hills. Most coast port cities at least in northern part of North America, means port is at the bottom..of long hills. So I follow him along, while he occasionally stops to consult bike route map. He stops occasionally to take more photos of certain bike path markings, signage, turning signs and sometimes I'm in the photos as the ordinary cyclist. Sometimes he has to stop for me, because I am slower. smile

We do avoid abit of steep climbing. But some gradual climbing is always required. seattle is similar to Vancouver in this way. We've done only 25 kms. today but now it feels that huge sandwich has been decently burned off in a major way.

I could use also a huge cafe latte for supper. That's all.

That's how we do stuff together.

#177048 - 03/14/09 01:12 PM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Geocaching...sounds like fun and intresting jabber great to see physical activities being developed from all types of new teachniology we have thse days instead of just inproving existing ones.

#177049 - 03/14/09 01:16 PM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
that sound like a major trip or would be in my life so its cool its the normale stuff ya do orchid.

its sounds ideal and i hope you got your frute fix to help wi your rehydrasion.

#177093 - 03/14/09 07:48 PM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: celtic_flame]
jabber Offline

Orchid,
That sounds like fun, you and your hubby biking around Seattle.
I always wondered what that area of the country was really like.
Never been that far West; but maybe someday we'll get out there.

#177122 - 03/15/09 12:05 AM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Jabber, you and hubby would enjoy the western coast. Since I came from the same area as you did (southern Ontario), I was entranced by the temperate rainforests (trees are taller and bigger because of the rain), flowers and other vegetation one doesn't see wild out east. Flowers are bigger and more vibrant. Of course, the wildlife if you know where to go. Mountains of course.

Just come to Seattle and Vancouver, BC area in summer months. Least amount of rain. smile

#179232 - 04/04/09 07:53 PM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

orchid,
I believe you're right. The Good Lord willing, I just might do
that one of these days. I'd love to see the West Coast. And I'm
sure WB would, too.

#179266 - 04/05/09 01:36 PM How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

orchid,
Guess if anyone would know, it's you. You're sitting right on
the Southwest border of Washington State there, aren't you?
Always thought I'd like to go to the Calgary Rodeo; even thought
about taking a train ride from here to there. On a world map,
Vancouver and Calgary don't look that far apart; but, in reality
they're probably a good distance. I imagine it's beautiful where you are. I've been to the Rocky Mountains, Estes Park, and the
Grand Cayon. They're awesome!

#179287 - 04/05/09 03:45 PM Re: How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Jabber:

Here is a Youtube promo of Vancouver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSHifUFsZw Alot of the natural scenery and buildings of course are real. We don't live far from what is shown.

I will respond more later after we go cycling this morning for a few hrs. The cherry blossoms are starting to come out all over the city.

Vancouver is approx. 200 miles north of Seattle. Where we live, we are approx. 40 miles north of the Canada-U.S. border.

As you can see, Vancouver is quite different from Toronto.

I've been to Calgary several times but not to the Calgary Stampede. If you are into the rodeo, horse scene... I know the city really goes full out for the Stampede..it's a time for many businesses (if they don't serve tourists), entertain guests, etc. We have hiked, cross-country skied and biked several different trips in the Rocky Mountains, around Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Banff, etc. After all, my partner had to live in Calgary for 2 yrs. when his employer decreed he relocate or lose his job.

Yes, at certain times of the year we saw herds of mountain sheep, elk, bear, etc. There are other gorgeous, jaw-dropping national parks that we've been to near by the Alberta -British Columbia border --Marble Canyon Park, Yoho National Park and many others.

Within the middle of British Columbia is our wine country which is quite different in terrain than Niagara-on-the-Lake region wine country or New York State.

#179376 - 04/06/09 03:46 PM Re: How Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, your trek and food sound wonderful.

I wanted to share with you that a friend of mine is a rower. She and her husbnad just rowed across Florida with a group of rowing friends. She said it was magnificant. Another way to get around and get good exercise!

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved