The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#186252 - 07/09/09 09:10 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is such a fun topic, especially since I just finished writing my class for tonight's teleclass about finding midlife purpose. If anyone is interested, you can register here:

http://globalteleclass.com/scripts/teleclasses.lasso?Dept=003

Welcome chives! Happy to learn that we met in Mystic when I spoke there last year. THanks for the email.

Madelaine. Good for you for meeting your husband with his biking. I always say that we can't be married and slefish. It's often about meeting one another half way. Lots of give and take.

JJ, do they have cooking classes at your local high schools; continuing ed? We have a culinary school here and I once took a pastry baking class that was only three hours, but it was great fun.

#186268 - 07/09/09 10:09 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Welcome sister Chives to our cyber family of which you have become a member. Oh and no stepping out of bounds around here, there are none, say what you will and someone will reply.

ACTIVITIES:
Most Hopices are looking for someone to come and read to their clients. Take a good book however as they usually have an old already read pile. I also take them boxes of books so they have nice new ones.

Most local hospitals have a 'grandmother program' where you go and rock the babies. This can be so rewarding and the only love they ever get being confined in the hospital nursery.

Some Humane Societys also look for people to be dog walkers. The ideas are endless, look in the local yellow pages you'd be surprised the ideas that can be generated from there.

I gave a neighbor an idea and she posted it on our open bulletin board where we go to pay rent etc. It says:

Lonesome? Want someone to talk to? Just leave your phone number in the box below and the best time to call. I am your neighbor here at the resort.
HUGS,
Barb

When she checked three days later she had six numbers, names and times. That was a month ago, she now calls thirteen people and chats for half an hour. Tells them jokes, sings a song and is having a ball. The list grows each week too.

She called the other day to tell me a couple of the adult kids of these elderly people have asked her to call them from time to time also, so they know whats what with their loved ones, and they are paying her now for her kindness.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186277 - 07/09/09 11:25 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Interesting, chatty about your previously lonely neighbour, now with friends. That's great!

Welcome Chives! That all-women's barbershop chorus sounds cool! So the women croon too. smile

Madelaine, your hubby is more cycling-nutso than my partner. Folks, her hubby can cycle over 200 miles in 1 day.

Chives, I'm 50 without children myself. My partner has 2 adult children from his former marriage and they've been living independently on their own for nearly past decade.

True, like Madelaine, my partner and I do some cycling together if our schedules permit it or we feel like it. He is semi-retired, he set up his own business at home. For some of my former jobs, he used to cycle with me to my workplace or meet me after work to bike homeward. It was just another incentive for him to add more exercise/mileage for himself.

But still, we don't do everything together. I cycle by myself early morning 80% of the time daily, while he's at home working away on his biz or volunteer work. So it's weekends and some weekday evenings we spend the greatest amount of time together.

Today the phone has been ringing off the hook. Several local media want to interview him for a controversial bike project that will start next wk. in our city. Did I really want to deal with his phone calls? Not really, I was in the midst of applying for jobs.

We do have a dinner 'date' every Friday or Thurs., where we have a restaurant dinner that is low-cost or we cycle out for a picnic.

Although we are physically together nearly daily past few months, we have our own activities that we pursue independently. I think it keeps each of us growing but also share a few interests together.

#186278 - 07/10/09 12:25 AM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Although I am an author/writer/humorist/gabologist, by trade
JawJaw, gabologist, someone might beat you on this new role.

#186294 - 07/10/09 05:48 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: orchid]
Chives Offline

Thanks ladies for all your replys and suggestions.
I re-read my post today and feel like such a whiner(1 n or 2 )? I liked "able to self-entertain myself" as Madeline describes herself.
My girlfriend told me that I seem to think "everyone else is having more fun than I am" That gave me something to think about.

I can see this is a supportive group and I know I will enjoy getting my daily Boost from my fellow boomers. With the development of this website, Dotsie has Ensure-d us with the outlet we women need.
Have a great day!

#186330 - 07/11/09 11:18 AM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Chives]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chives, it's great to get a different perspective from other women. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away form these forums feeling lighter and re-directed. Glad you're here.

#186343 - 07/11/09 01:45 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Dotsie]
Mountain Ash Offline

I was a dancer as a girl.. who enjoyed music and movement.Scottish country dancing is gracious and tells of our history when married to tradidional music.our team competed and won..bringing home silver cups which were displayed in the Co-op store window.The Cooperative movement provided education in the arts at that time.
Well long story short...my husband is a non dancer..we have gently waltzed and attempted Gay Gordons a folk dance once or twice..We have yearly Harvest Home parties in the village..first year married I was offered tickets and assumed we would have a ball...as the time got nearer husband was getting quieter and I did my usual are you OK anything wrong? I had a totally eureka moment realising that he disliked dance more than I liked it..and for us to go and not dance was silly..thats what love is to me...making someone else happy.
I did dance again...often...working in schools we taught social dance as PE so passed on what I knew...at 35 I was asked to restart the competitions by making up a team as the Coop wanted to encourage young people..so nothing was ever lost..
We both enjoy music and each week listen to a programme called
"Take the Floor" which is..about Scottish dance music believe it or not..he has preferred bands and was approached to repair electronic accordians for a formost player...and did his own wee bit for recordings..ironic that.
so it is not alway what we do for our S.O. but what we put to one side.
Perhaps others have similar experiences..

#186591 - 07/16/09 02:16 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
For togetherness activities we go to Country Music Shows; do geocacing; swim; walk; vacation 'n RV. Hubby and I tried to learn
line dancing. That didn't work. Neither of us dance very well.
But love to watch people dance.

#186621 - 07/17/09 02:21 AM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Jabber, lots of people who love to dance but can't figure out line dancing; which can be hard to do, try square dancing. Such fun, easier to follow and still and plenty of light exercise as well. I love it!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186655 - 07/17/09 02:08 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chatty,
My mom and dad belonged to a square dancing club when I was a kid. WB isn't into dancing. And I haven't seen any square dances around these parts, lately. 1st husband and I went to dances at
various town fire halls, now and again. Square dancing is great fun!

Edited by jabber (07/18/09 01:36 PM)

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved