The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#187162 - 07/25/09 05:07 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

Well the demo was very sedate..at a party/celidh a circle of couples do the dance and it is busier..
Daddys show their wee girls how to do it thats's always cute

#187182 - 07/26/09 09:22 AM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
Expat Offline

Hi Mountain Ash,

I have to admit I didn't know the names of all the Scottish dances we did that day, so I just checked it out on You Tube. Yes, I definitely danced the Dashing White Sargeant, too. As you said it was pretty fast and that is when I believe I received my bruises! Instead of hooking elbows, my partner sort of grabbed my arm in such a way, as to render it black and blue! However, it was great fun and would do it again. (btw, my husband wasn't a dancer either)

As for the change of name to Happy Gordon, I would definitely believe it, but disagree with it. I just think this "correctness" has gone too far.

BTW, did your friend enjoy herself in the US?

#187183 - 07/26/09 10:34 AM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Expat]
Mountain Ash Offline

Your poor arm.
Sometimes at celidhs a man will try to spin his female partner to "show off"as a former dancer I know how to cope...by using my feet cleverly...one wedding party I outdid the guy..he was wearing arm braclets to hold his shirt sleeves up...so he had a few brusies..the men in dances are often symbolic of stags,..and some primevil instinct comes out..
dance is a complex social interaction...ritualist mating and exihbition...and fun
last week I was at a Palace watching dance..tell you more later..

#187186 - 07/26/09 01:26 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
MA and Expat,
That Gay Gordon 2 Happy Gordon controversy is a little over the
top. The dance is cute, however. It reminds me of the jitterbug.
Love 2 dance!

#187191 - 07/26/09 01:52 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

Gay is a word I miss using it speaks of streamers ribbons fun and happiness.
"The Child who is born on the Sabath day is bonny and blithe and good and gay"
My colleague was a visitor on an exchange teaching post...she had to conform to the ethos in her work place.

#187193 - 07/26/09 01:55 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

Ex pat.I agree I find the narrow mindedness sad..

The dance is the same whatever.

#187250 - 07/27/09 06:51 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Expat Offline

Aaah, that explains his over enthusiasm, MA! This guy certainly falls into that category.

Gosh, Jabber, I remember attempting to dance the Jitterbug with my father! I used to love watching him and my mother dance. Embarrassingly, having just looked at a video of the dance, my father obviously went easy on me, as I don't remember doing half the steps in the clip! laugh I haven't tried line dancing, but remember square dancing in my youth.

A few years ago, I got up the nerve to take Tango lessons and loved it, but it eventually petered out. There just weren't enough single guys to go around. That actually stemmed from being a fan of Strictly Come Dancing! blush I also remember taking ballroom dance lessons in my 20's with the current boyfriend. We never utilized the talent, but it was a bundle of laughs.

#187278 - 07/28/09 01:47 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Expat]
jabber Offline

I enjoyed doing the stroll and the twist. Those two and square dancing were about all I was good at.

#187289 - 07/28/09 07:20 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: jabber]
Expat Offline

I've never danced the stroll, but absolutely love the twist! Actually it was through the twist, I met my (soon to be ex) husband. Won a twist contest and he gave me the prize.

Jabber, one doesn't have to be "good" at dancing. Nowadays, it's just a matter of moving your body, really. The important thing is to enjoy yourself, which I'm sure you do.

#187329 - 07/29/09 01:29 PM Re: activities/hobbies with S.O. [Re: Expat]
jabber Offline

Hi Expat. I know all a person has to do is move 'n grove but
my hubby is very conservative. He mostly sits out the dancing
and I keep him company! If he dance more, so would I.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved