The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#177724 - 03/21/09 12:57 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: chatty lady]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
goodness and diabetes is a relativlie common thing.

As we all start to live longer they find more of ths types of relashionships between things.

i think one must guared or we end up just worrieing ourselfs to death. Thats one way we should't try to avoide getting older !

#177729 - 03/21/09 01:57 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Last night I had a nightmare. I am sure it comes from all this Alzheimer talk. In addition the alarming scenes I've been witnessing at my Mom's senior home, and comments my brother said to me last night about how he thinks sometimes he's losing it. Yikes! My husband has been acting flakey too,…misplacing things and insisting that I said something which I never said.. And every time I’m forgetful, I think, - ‘okay this is the onset. I think I’m slowly going off my rocker; - like Alzeihmer is surrounding me!

I dreamt I had Alzheimers. It was terrifying. I dreamt I could only see people's heads. Their bodies vanished, and everyone's lips were moving, but I couldn't hear a word. It was so vivid and frightening, that I woke up from it.

This morning I decided, as you suggested in your post, Celtic...that I have to get a grip “or we end up just worrying ourselves to death.” I must stop letting all this stuff get under my skin. I have never looked forward to a vacation so much in my life. My brother will be coming over and spending time with my mother, and then Hubby and I are off for the hills. Got to wait till June…but it is something to look forward to.

#177739 - 03/21/09 03:00 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: Edelweiss3]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Edelweiss3,
Sorry you had a nightmare. I hate those things. The fact that
you have vacation to look forward to is neat. I just got home and
the time away was refreshing. Between my friend's miserable fix; brother and MIL with cancer, I needed to hear and see something upbeat. Where we camped we can see people dance in the street; there are antique car shows; and street bands several times a week. I'm glad you'll get a break. As far as guys doin' weird stuff, that's a man thing. And everybody forgets things now and again. Don't put too much stock in that sort of thing. I pray your getaway will be a time of renewal. Prayers and blessings,

Edited by jabber (03/22/09 02:17 PM)

#177755 - 03/21/09 09:32 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Jabber, thank you. Glad you got to get away. You have so many negative things going on in your life...it puts me to shame that I am being so wimpy.
I love it when music plays on the street and people dance. sounds like a ball. Where did you go camping? It must be warm enough there. We got freezing temperatures right now.

#177772 - 03/21/09 10:17 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well thats what I am going to try to do....STOP worrying! But I just hate to think of being alone with Alzheimers. Being alone is bad enough.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#177795 - 03/22/09 08:13 AM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
About Alzheimer - I read an article recently about researchers finding plaque in the brains of Alzheimer victims, plaque similar to dental plaque. Not long after reading that article I read another about the link between infected gums (bacteria) and plaque in clogged arteries... heck, that one was a good one... let me go fetch it...
Here we go:

Health Begins in Your Mouth
http://www.drmarcuslaux.com/
You probably brush your teeth twice a day, floss (hopefully) once a day, maybe use a commercial mouthwash to kill germs, and get your teeth professionally cleaned every 6 months. Good enough? Not even close, no matter what your dentist says.

When experts talk about superior dental care in this country, they’re mostly referring to the services you can get in a good dentist’s chair. But when it comes to educating you about oral hygiene at home, the American Dental Association isn’t putting its money where your mouth is. Yes, fresh breath and a dazzling smile are nice, but there’s a lot more to good oral health care than that. Researchers are finding solid links between the condition of your mouth and some sobering health problems that can wipe the smile right off your face.
Horror (Bio)film

Every time you eat, more than 50 different kinds of mouth bacteria join with food remnants to form a biofilm of acidic goo called plaque. It sticks to your teeth and gums and immediately starts doing what acid does: erode, corrode, and destroy things. If plaque isn’t buffed off your teeth within about an hour after you eat, it starts etching into your enamel, making it doubly hard to get off. Eventually, it becomes calcified and turns into calculus.

Meanwhile, millions of nasty plaque bacteria spread the biofilm into the pockets under your gum line where your toothbrush can’t reach and where the oxygen level is just the way they like it: suffocatingly low. The invasion inflames and swells your gums, essentially closing the tent flap behind the bacteria now safely ensconced inside these warm, moist pockets. The acid starts breaking down the soft tissues around your teeth, deepens the pockets, and makes room for more bacteria. Now the real action begins:

Scene I: The way to your heart is through your mouth. With infected gums, every time your heart beats, millions of those bacteria enter the capillaries that permeate your mouth. Then they surge into your bloodstream—carrying tumor necrosis factor, fibrinogen, and other pro-inflammatory chemicals. They burn lesions into the lining of your arteries, release proteins that activate blood clotting, and stimulate the formation of another kind of plaque: the kind that clogs your arteries. In fact, when scientists dissect chunks of that arterial plaque, guess what they find inside? Oral bacteria. As levels of pro-inflammatory chemicals rise in your bloodstream, you start developing atherosclerosis: plaque-gunked arteries. This stiffens and narrows your arteries, making your blood pressure go up—which can damage your kidneys and make your heart work harder than it’s supposed to. To keep up with the demand, the left side of your heart gets bigger (and, ironically, weaker). Studies show that the less healthy your gums are, the higher your blood pressure is likely to go. Likewise, up goes your risk of heart attack.

Scene II: A stroke against you. If your mouth isn’t healthy, odds are your carotid arteries are becoming clogged, putting you at increased risk of stroke.

Scene III: A surprising turn. Diabetes promotes the same kinds of systemic inflammation that gum disease does, damaging many tissues—including your gums—and impairing their healing capacity. This is one way diabetes contributes to cardiovascular disease. But researchers are now saying it goes both ways: The pro-inflammatory chemicals whipped up by gum disease can induce inflammation in your pancreas, worsening and possibly even causing diabetes.

Scene IV: Child abuse. In pregnant women with gum disease, the risk of premature delivery increases by almost five times. Fetal cord blood from preemies shows that mom’s battle with mouth bacteria is carried, in her blood, to the placenta—where it creates inflammation that causes premature birth.

Scene V: No smoking required. According to a study of almost 6,000 people, having gum disease significantly increases your risk of cancer of the head, neck, and esophagus—even if you’ve never smoked or chewed tobacco.

Eighty percent of Americans have some form of gum disease, and the five horrors I’ve just described can fly completely under the radar. By the time you have obvious signs such as bleeding gums and loose teeth, your health has already suffered significant damage. Some of it might be reversible. All of it is absolutely preventable. Here’s how to get that horror film closed, and keep it closed.

Every time you eat—even if it’s just a snack—you’ll want to interfere with plaque formation. If you wait until after you eat, you’ll need to act quickly to keep plaque from sneaking under your gum line. The best way: Toss a capful (about ½ teaspoon) of plain old 3% USP hydrogen peroxide (available everywhere in the familiar brown plastic bottle) into your mouth. Swish it around for about a minute, then spit. Next, dip the wet bristles of your toothbrush in plain old baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and brush gently as usual. With this simple two-step process, you’ll kill the pathogenic bacteria that thrive in a low-oxygen environment, and neutralize the biofilm’s acidic matrix to break it up. An even better solution is to brush before you eat. If you remove the bacteria before the food arrives, you’ll avoid the acidic environment altogether.

Go beyond brushing. A device called the Hydro Floss may be the ultimate in mouth cleaning. Based on the technology of the familiar Water Pik, the Hydro Floss has a reservoir that magnetizes the water. This development has been shown to reduce the amount of dental plaque by more than 40 percent. If I had to choose one over the other, I’d go with this rather than brushing regularly. Remember, the most serious problems arise in the gums, not the teeth.

Scrape your tongue twice a day. By dramatically reducing the bacterial population in your mouth, scraping helps keep your teeth and gums healthy.

Take a good quality multi-nutrient supplement and 50–100 mg of active coenzyme Q10, once or twice daily. Patients with gum disease typically have significantly lower CoQ10 levels than patients with good oral health, and when they’re supplemented their gum-health scores significantly improve. Some researchers consider gum disease to be a marker for CoQ10 deficiency.

Always use the softest toothbrush you can find. Brushing with a hard-bristled brush can irritate sensitive gums and other delicate tissues.

Don’t use any mouthwash that burns or feels “tingly.” The sensation tells you that the stuff is inflaming your oral tissues. There’s a strong association between daily use of mouthwash and cancer of the mouth and throat.

Don’t settle for just a cleaning if your plaque is excessive and/or you have bleeding gums. Ask to see the dentist. If he or she isn’t up to speed on the general health risks of an unhealthy mouth, get a new dentist.

#177797 - 03/22/09 08:24 AM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
To answer dancer's question... I'd say I don't fear people with mental illness, but I am cautious around them... however, I've never been around a man with a mental disorder, only women. A man might make a difference.

I think mental illness is one of the cruelest afflictions of nature!!! And one I fear the most for myself... guess it comes from having a mom who had bipolar, near schizo, tendencies all my life (she has never been officially diagnosed, but she could swing from warm to cold in the blink of an eye... and, she would be laughing one minute - weird laughing - then the next minute red faced from crying). Quite scary, esp. for a child with the potential of thinking it was them who was provoking it.

#177819 - 03/22/09 02:38 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Gims,
My goodness. You are a wealth of information. I don't mean to
treat this subject lightly, but this adage came to mind when
reading your posts. The old folks said, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." LOL!
Okay now I'll get serious. Eat walnuts and take Folic Acid. Both Folate and whatever is in walnuts help in the area you're describing. Even when on vacation, I brush and floss after every meal, if I can. I go to the dentist every three months but only because they're monitoring jaw deterioration and implants.
The info you've put forth is excellent; I think some of problem is that young people do not consider some of these issues until
they get older and damage has already festered. When I was young, I didn't take good care of my teeth. It's only been since the 1990s that I started doing what I should've done all along. My teeth are healthy now. But that was not always the case.
I know what you say is true. My adoptive mom died prematurely due to a lack of dental care. Thank you for taking the time to
warn folks. Prayers and blessings,

#177820 - 03/22/09 02:50 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Edelweiss3,
You asked where we went. In our RV, WB and I go to Kissimmee, Florida for two or three weeks in the beginning of March, every year. We camp at "Tropical Palms"; it's across the street from
Old Town, a retro fun place: old stores; old restaurants; carnival rides and games; parades; street bands; ice cream shops; flee markets, etc. The campground has a cafe, a swimming pool, pond, dog park, etc. We rent a car and travel to nearby places, like Celebration City, St. Cloud, and Polk to geocache. It's a great distraction from the real world of woe! Thanks for asking!

#177860 - 03/23/09 01:57 PM Re: Do you fear those with mental illnesses? [Re: jabber]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
thanks for info gims but i read it 1/4 way dowen and begane worrying about that so stoped, i read enough and do best 9i can with my teeth.

sorry about nightmares EW sounded very scarrie and its easie to worry when people around us are strange sometimes. I forgetfull more now than ever but think it more to do with lack of mental exercise and recalling the right wor is something i have always been bad at but gets worse now. Like go put that with other shoes but i say soks becouse its starts with same first letter.

generallie i think, well i know i do, and maybee some others its the fear and worring over stuff that probablie never happen that dose real trouble with me.

jabber grest you had such a lovelie layed back time, Rv are so cool, thanks for telling us about your travel.

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved