The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#177695 - 03/20/09 10:01 PM Summers coming!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So what will you be doing to prepare for the summer months? Do you do anything different to the inside or outside of your houes, if so what? When do you gardeners get the soil ready for planting? This year I hope to have some nice squash, tomatoes and cucumbers. Not much room for anything else as most of my yard is stone.

Its gotten cold again today after a week of 80 degree weather and I was going to clean all the bird feeders and baths but have to wait now until it warms up again.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#178111 - 03/25/09 12:56 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Chatty have you seen the upside-down tomato planters? I think they would be easy to make without buying them. You could also try pot/bucket planting.

#178118 - 03/25/09 01:18 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It was sunny and in the 60s on Sunday so I was outside doing garden and yard clean-up. I enjoyed every minute of it. Can't wait to get back out there, but yesterday it was 28 degrees again. What?

As far as the house goes, there was a time when I did spring house cleaning, but I don't do that these days. I may take pillows from sofas and bang the dust out of them and place them on the patio to get some fresh air, but that's about it. There was a time when I would go room by room, clean windows, oil furniture, etc., but those were the good old days.

I can't wait to throw open the windows and get some fresh air in here. And, thurn off the heat that's been running forever!

Anyone spring clean?

#178173 - 03/25/09 08:54 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I bought three upside down planters already Chick, not expensive at all. One for grape tomatoes, one for squash and maybe some roma tomatoes. I make my own stewed tomatoes every year and freeze enough to use all year long. I have a box planter I'll use for cucumbers.

#178234 - 03/26/09 12:37 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
We can't "spring clean" because Spring brings WIND. LOVERLY! We often say our seasons are Winter, Wind and WAY TOO HOT! That's it!

Gardening: DH has the two gardens ready for planting about Mid-April, when we are clear of frost. It's loaded with local cow manure and our own compost.

The peach tree is LOADED with pea-sized peaches. UGH! WE canned over 100 jars in '07 and are NOT thrilled about maybe doing them again. We'll sell them at the market too, if need be since we still have jars left over.

I help DH...not a gardener at heart. But LOVE the harvest. He wants to do Yellow Watermelon, tomatoes, squash and cantelope. That's all I know for now. We LIVE on the melons all summer.

#178235 - 03/26/09 12:58 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Di
we still have jars left over.

I help DH...not a gardener at heart. But LOVE the harvest. He wants to do Yellow Watermelon, tomatoes, squash and cantelope. That's all I know for now. We LIVE on the melons all summer.

Love melons. smile

Admittedly we don't do much differently in terms of household chores. Let's see here:

Open our balcony door and windows...we live in a highrise condo. It doesn't have air-conditioning. But no need, our summers never get real super hot like southern Ontario or prairies.

He likes to buy some potted herbs and he tends to be the one watering, etc. Not alot of effort.

Sit out on our balcony early morning and evenings to eat and see sun go up and down.

We better clean our balcony door. But our windows are washed by the contract service that the strat/condo building pays for.Happens twice per year.

Life is not that complicated in condo living.

#178240 - 03/26/09 02:26 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Oh how I'd LOVE living w/out air conditioning. Thankfully this time of year requires no heat or a/c. Just wind!! But cheap utility bills!

Condo living sounds fab. We have thought about that but we are both so creative it'd be hard to "sit still".

#178281 - 03/26/09 02:08 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'd also love to live without air conditioning. I'm always the last on ei nthe house who wants to turn it on and the first to turn it off. Give me thrown opened windows with no humidity and I'm loving life.

We do however, get lots of pollen on our furniture. You can wirte your name on the dresser during spring. That's kinda gross to think about what we're breathing in, but it feels so good.

#178344 - 03/26/09 10:14 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hate air conditioning too Dotsie, but in this desert heat one would probably die without it.

Di, we too have those winds, having some today and my wind chimes sound like an orchestra.

As a kid in Indiana we never had air conditioning, used window fans and that was plenty.

I can also write my name on my furniture but its sand dust, not pollen. Just as nasty however.

#178348 - 03/26/09 10:27 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Well, as I write, my husband is out on the patio doing who knows what out there in the rain, but that's where he was when I came home. He put a lot of pansies out (my favorites) last week and had to actully bring them back in for a few nights. that's never happened before. But, it got pretty cold again. He put them back out there and he's been sprucing up the deck. But, in the rain! Tomorrow he will be complaining of a cold.

At the moment Orchid, I'm not too fond of condo living. We had a problem with the dryer vent that caused the dryer motor to burn out. $400. then the guy hit his arm on a pipe to the hot water heater trying to get some of the lint out. It's a very tight setup in the bathroom with the piggy back washer/dryer and the water heater in tight quarters. More $$ for the plumber to fix that. The dryer guy had to set up a temporary fix to ven the dryer because of the lint and we had to have vent fixer people come. An estimated $800 to fix that. It has to go through the condo association before we can take care of it.

But on the up side, we had a terrible winter and it is always nice not to have to shovel driveways and sidewalks and stairs anymore. And we do have air conditioning. Only need it when it's muggy out so I can breathe. We're on the water and usually get a nice breeze. I'm wondering when we can expect that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved