The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#179811 - 04/09/09 10:42 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Neither of my two GOOD husbands were handy. Ed, number one called my dad to help him which usually meant my dad ended up doing it all. There was noting my dad could not do or fix, he was amazing.

Then number two, Chet, he just hired someone to do whatever needed doing. He had the money so it was never a problem.

Number three, I laugh just thinking about him, the ass can't even bend over to pick something up and is good only at breaking things. He hasn't got a pot or a window, so I hire it done myself...

Thats when I miss my dad the most. Oh, and I am always surprised at how much I can do all by myself. I learned a great deal helping my dad, from my dad.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#179837 - 04/10/09 01:13 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chats,
Love that line, "the a*& can't bend over and pick something up."
It's probably true. But at the same time it's funny. Men. Geese.
Wonder who said, "Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em?"

#179838 - 04/10/09 01:15 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

By the bye, my first mate couldn't do much other than chase
women. Now that I think about it, he was a sailor when I met him.

#179847 - 04/10/09 02:15 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, I recall reading something about you following your Dad around while he worked outside. What was that? It was good.

Ross fixes what he can and hires people to do what he can't, or doesn't have time to do. It works. In fact, right now, the contractor's here for the kitchen, the plumber is hooking up the sink, garbage disposal, and dishwasher, and the yard clean-up crew is here getting ready to mulch.

We've always done our yard clean-up and mulching until two years ago when both of us threw our backs out and landed in the chiropractors office for weeks. Ross did his shoveling and I did mine lifting boxes and shifting stuff around. I've decided it was a good thing. I love working outside, but hey, they can do the big clean-up and I'm totally cool with it.

#179886 - 04/10/09 10:35 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie, From the time I could walk alone, I followed my dad everywhere he went. He would hand me a nail and hammer and say; "okay snooks, pound this." By the time I was 15 I could have probably roofed a house alone, plus I know how to rig things so they work awhile longer.

I learned fixing things from dad and cooking from mom and grandmom. I always enjoyed being around the adults as a child. I was inquisitive, and wanted to know how to do everything. I thought kids my own age were silly and babyish.

#179941 - 04/11/09 01:24 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
I did the same thing. From the time I got on the farm, I followed
dad everywhere. I hid in the milk delivery truck and yelled, "Surprise, daddy. I'll help you." And from that day on,
I helped him deliver milk to neighboring towns. I was in the
barn, more than I was in the house. Today, I'd make a better farmer than a housewife. LOL...

#180179 - 04/14/09 09:49 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Guess summer is here. Had my air-conditioning unit serviced yesterday and it seems like it is shot to hell!!! They showed me the rusted through parts. I guess I can't complain too much, it is 20 years old and was worked hard all summer for all those years. Its just that coming up with nearly $4000. right now is a real pain and dwindles down my reserve to just about zero...They'll be here tomorrow morning to put in the new unit.
>>> This is me waving goodbye to my money <<<

#180328 - 04/16/09 02:15 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Wow! That's a lot of money. We don't have air-conditioning
throughout the house. We have a small unit in our bedroom and that's all. But I don't live out west, either. Not that I
wouldn't like it. I would love it. Newly built houses in the area have air-conditioning. But gosh, chats. That's a lot of money when it needs fixing.

#180404 - 04/17/09 03:49 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
All the more reason why I've chosen to live in condos over past few decades...I'm not really keen on hrs. and hrs. of outdoor work. I'm also not a gardener/shrub pruner at all. Though I did latter when I was a teenager for my parents.

He is abit mechanically inclined for simple stuff. Once upon a time, he did build his own farmhouse. The most interesting part is that he likes to wear the lab latex gloves when doing super greasy/gucky stuff involving his fingers. I think his obsession with keeping his hands clean (he never gets dirt stuck permanently in his nails) is from his childhood illnesses/sicknesses. (tuberculosis, ringworm, etc.)

I'm not mechanically inclined....but I personally know women who take apart an entire bike and put it back together again. One good friend who is single, childless and owns her own house, LOVES going to Home Depot on her own to get building supplies for her next mini renovation project. She managed to transfer a 5ft x 10 ft patch of flat backyard in a huge, thick lovely garden oasis which includes several bushes and trees over 10 ft. tall. It is incredibly impressive work when sitting around having a barbecue with the shade of this oasis jungle with her. (She is a boomer at 52.)

Many younger women than I, are comfortable doing basic computer hardware replacements...ie. motherboard cards, DVD drive swaps, etc.

#180452 - 04/18/09 02:36 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

I can't do any of that stuff. If it comes to electrical,
mechanical, heavy work, forget. I hope WB outlives me. Otherwise,
I'm gonna in deep doodoo!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved