The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#178373 - 03/27/09 06:09 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Well I live with air conditioning all year round for the most part. This year, however, we had several times when we needed the heat but I held out as long as I could. I like it also when I don't have to use either.

I stopped doing spring/fall cleaning a long time ago. It's enough for me to just keep up with the daily stuff. The windows are on the agenda though. Can't see through them I think. Going to get hubby to do the outside windows for me. I'm not tall enough on the ladder. Maybe I should get a taller one -- umm -- nope! That's a job for him.

Winter is the best time here. We have had 80's on and off for several weeks now. Will be almost 90 this week already. I'm so dreading the heat of summer.
www.tidedancer.com

#178450 - 03/27/09 08:52 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Louisa my mom is a trip and a half, she laughs and says the only way she knows for sure what the weather is is to stick her head out the bedroom window and see. She moved awhile back into a Senior community and is on the third floor. She said she throws open the windows now and just enjoys the fresh air without air conditioning.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#178587 - 03/29/09 01:06 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Louisa - you'll see later, once your appliance and plumbing is fixed..you and hubby will be glad to have do maintenance on hand, especially physical stuff.

I'm not surprised about the piping..that has to go through condo strata.

Di- if your hubby does woodworking and hobbies like that you want to ensure in future he has on-site facilities for that. I did in my previous condo building.

#178643 - 03/29/09 11:41 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We have a retirement community in MD that has a woodworking shop. I thought it was such a neat idea. I also like the places where residents can do some of their own gardening. I walk through a retirement community that has a big area along the walking trail where residents have little fenced in garden spots. Some use them for flowers only, and others grow veggies.

#178824 - 03/31/09 08:43 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

In the community where my brother lives they have a small lake, many, many fruit and flowering trees and a community garden where you can have a piece all for yourself to plant what you like and then there is one everyone shares. My moms building is just across from my brothers so she will share a space with him for their peppers and zuccini plants.

Whats so nice about where they live now is they each have their own apartments in different buildings and yet are right across the lawn from one another too. She can still take him shopping and to doctors appointments. It is a win-win situation.

#178992 - 04/02/09 04:37 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Summers are brutal in the Gulf Coast part of the south...humidity that will soak you to the bone after ten seconds of walking outside. Then there's the flies...deer fly, yellow fly and another one I can't think of at the moment...but, it also bites the heck out of you. I swear one year I took netting and attached it to a straw hat and draped it all the way down my body to keep the flies away from me so I could walk down to the mail box and back without getting eaten alive...it's miserable...so, once it gets to this point I just stay indoors and watch the electric meter spin like crazy. Spring is the best time where I live...summer's suck! Then there's the hurricane season...June through Nov 15th...during the storms, the electric meter is given a break and nothing electrical works so Larry will crank up the generator and as the little window AC unit brought in from the garage does its thing, I sit with my face smack in front of it trying to keep cool. Okay...someone please explain to me why the heck I live down here? Sheesh!

#179040 - 04/02/09 03:19 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I spring/fall clean some; stuff I don't use, I give to the Good Will. WB already replaced seven house windows and has six more
to replace. He shampoos the rugs throughout, too. I take my time cleaning closets and dressers, etc. We have air conditioning in our bedroom only. I ask myself, in the wintertime, why I live here. Otherwise I love it. There isn't much WB can't repair, and I'm thankful. Never heard of upside down plant holders. I've heard of upside down trees, but that's all. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't like housework. Don't do any canning, anymore. Did once. No more.

#179140 - 04/04/09 01:19 AM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well if summer is coming it has been sidetracked. Today we had 60 mile per hour winds, and the temp dropped 45 degrees to COLD! Plus its raining. Where the heck is this global warming they keep trying to shove down out throats?

Cleaned up our yards this eweekend and what happened is a laugh to say the least, see my blog for the whole story PLUS!

#179215 - 04/04/09 02:39 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Know what you mean. The electric went out at 5:30 a.m. until
9 a.m., today. There are several inches of snow on the ground.
WB just got the yard cleaned up, Weeping Willows are dirty
things as far as losing branches; and wind blew like it was
a January storm. Geese. Spring, please come to stay!

#179273 - 04/05/09 02:05 PM Re: Summers coming! [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Today, they say the temp will be in the 50s. Long range forecast
calls for snow and cold, the beginning of the week. It's like
a rollercoaster ride 'round here.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved