The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#166742 - 11/30/08 09:51 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wasn't she having trouble getting back into the forum????????

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167022 - 12/05/08 01:56 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: chatty lady]
justjoan Offline

Loc: West Michigan
I'm going to try the fish oil in the freezer! I have the Kirklands and even though it says it doesn't have the aftertaste - it does...not as bad as another brand I couldn't even tolerate!

I admit I should be better about taking supplements. When I'm good I take:

a multiple vitamin
glucosamine plus chondroitin (spelling?)
an aspirin
the fish oil
calcium plus D

I have a huge stock of soy powder drinks as well I purchased for those annoying menopausal symptoms but haven't been good about drinking them. I've been such a slacker lately! I think it's Seasonal Affective Disorder. Michigan. Grey skies. Blah, lol!

#167059 - 12/05/08 04:57 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: justjoan]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Not that it matters, I suppose, but I buy all of my vits and supplements, including Stevia, from Puritan Pride. I call their 1-800 number because I don't like buying online, but they are great! And I know that what they say is in there, IS in there. They have such great buys, too. I just love um.

#183245 - 05/28/09 07:17 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
thought I'd bring this back up. Yesterday I went to an Educational Nutritional Consultant...spent about 2 hours there and I got educated!

She has me on Co-Enzymes B-Complex, Progesta-Care Plus (a natural Progesterone) with Phytoestrogens Body Cream. Having had a hyst and my going off Premarin, I was in need of something. Seems my testosterone is a bit too high.

We are also testing my Magnesium to see what dosage I'll need. And my return to taking a daily multi-vitamin is needed as well. I'll go back to my liquid one.

I'm amazed at how much we NEED the B vitamins and Magnesium. She gave out some reading material that I've read thru.

She also gave me the "muscle" test. Anyone hear of it? It has to do with muscle resistance when you hold the container of the product you most likely are deficient in. I thought it was a bit bazaar, but heck, I'll do what she says since it kinda lined up with what I felt I need anyway.

She also told me her 89 yr old Dad, who was in a nursing home, is now out of it...living well and no longer on Alzheimer's meds (and does not have it!) nor insulin. He is on a diabetes diet instead. She educated herself due to a dental procedure gone bad some years back.

Edited by Di (05/28/09 07:18 PM)

#183276 - 05/29/09 04:22 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have been following the Julian Whitaker healthy diabetes eating plan now for 6 weeks and have been off all my meds for two full weeks and my glucose stays in the normal range. He says follow it long long enough and I won't have the disease anymore, or ever again, as long as I don't go insane and start stuffing myself with all the wrong foods. Amazingly, I can have just about everything in moderation.

Dr. Whitaker has a clinic in Newport Beach, CA. He does wonders wiyth Type I disbetics as well. So they can live normal lives. I wanted to spend a week there, they have the facilities but apparently don't need to since the eating plan has worked. I take lots of supplements on my own and vitamins as well but depend on good food for most of what I need.

#183301 - 05/29/09 12:36 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
good for you, Chatty! I have a friend who eats all sorts of sweet stuff and one time asked her "I thought you were diabetic". She said yes but she takes shots. I thought a good diet was important. Hmmmm..

I JUST now read the label on the Progesta-Care Plus. It says that it's known to cause Cancer in California! (the progesterone part) So, back to square one! The packaging says "all natural". I'm mad about that one. Dad was very concerned when I told him that I'm trying this. There have been many cancers in women in my family including Mom. (all have died) So, I"ll call the consultant and find an alternative.

#183321 - 05/29/09 03:43 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Di]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Hey ya'll - my knees are bothersome. I've always yard work, riding, house work, etc. and my left knee will hurt a bit. Thus, I'f thought of taking glucosamine with maybe chondroitin and/or MSM. Yet, whats the difference? Pros/cons?

#183342 - 05/29/09 10:55 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

First of all you need a supplement that contaiuns all three of them, chondroitin, MSM, and glucosamine...WHY? Because the act and react off of one another. Each makes the others work more effectively. One by itself is okay I guess, but kind of a waste of time. Huge study done and thats the conscensus.

#183347 - 05/30/09 12:17 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Sharonie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Sharonie
Over supplementing can be a dangerous thing...especially if you are taking other medications. Supplements are medications. They are not without their dangers.

From the dietician who posted earlier months ago.

At this point in time, admittedly I don't take any vitamins and supplements. In the past, it has been recommended that I take some iron but that was when I was underweight and ..during my non-cycling years. Calcium has been recommended to me also. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I think I'm eating probably 5-10% more food because I'm at home and food is close to me. But with my daily exercise routine...I've actually lost abit of weight over past 3 months. I don't worry about vitamin C since I eat several fruits daily.

I get probably abit too much sunshine because I am cycling daily early morning for the past 2 months. During colder/rainier season, I can only fit in 2-4 times of cycling per week. I just focus on eating dishes/food made of whole original produce, with least amount of processed ingredients/foods.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved