The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#184822 - 06/21/09 01:36 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: karenelaine1977]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Karenelaine...I needed that this morning...thank you for your approval and I'm so proud of you for teaching your daughter to be color-blind when it comes to people. You are a very special Mom and a grand lady. Your daughter is lucky to have you as her Mother. I'm proud of you, too.

Hugs

#184830 - 06/21/09 02:22 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm up here in the North; and, at the moment, I know many nicer
black people, than I do white people. Inside sweetness is the
same, no matter what color skin a person may have!!!! IMO...

#184834 - 06/21/09 04:08 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Dee, I did what I always do when ignorant people talk to me or someone else in that manner. I tell them I will not listen to talk like that and I walk away. I have been called worse.

I realize times change, and we need to learn to accept changes, good and bad. However, being in education for so long (20+ years), I think one of the saddest changes is the way people talk to each other. They are role models, albiet poor ones, for our children. The words and disrespect that come out of people's mouths these days saddens me.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#184839 - 06/21/09 10:24 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Dee]
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Oh thank you so much, Dee!! Your words made my day!! Hugs

#184846 - 06/22/09 03:35 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: karenelaine1977]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The first time I came in contact with any form of racism was when I was 12 and my family moved to Chicago. From the moment I grew my tongue, I spoke out against racism, sexism, religionism, homophobia etc. -- and not nearly as polite as you, Dee.

I've been know to look someone straight in the eyes and calmly say, "Studies show that people who have prejudiced attitudes are either highly insecure or really stupid. Which are you?" -- stare for 5 seconds, and then walk away.

Subtlety has never been my strong suit.

Poet and essayist

#184848 - 06/22/09 04:53 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: meredithbead
I've been know to look someone straight in the eyes and calmly say, "Studies show that people who have prejudiced attitudes are either highly insecure or really stupid. Which are you?" -- stare for 5 seconds, and then walk away.

Subtlety has never been my strong suit.

whistle It takes self-restraint to do this.

#184849 - 06/22/09 07:00 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I can remain calm and smiling even as the smoke comes out of my ears. It's a talent much like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time.

Poet and essayist

#184865 - 06/22/09 02:01 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: meredithbead]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Divine,
I love your candor! You go girl!

#184879 - 06/22/09 03:58 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, I totally agree. Ewww, I heard a woman at the mall yesterday talking to her two year old with such disgust, I couldn't help but stare and share a look of shock. When adults begin talking to their kids that way at SUCH an ealry age, waht comes out when they begin talking? Pitiful.

#184898 - 06/22/09 07:56 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: jabber]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Merideth...I wish I could think quickly and with such coolness as you when I'm pissed off but unfortuntely that doesn't always happen. I try to be calm but it doesn't always work. But, I'm going to try and remember what you said for next time. smile

Orchid...Yep...I agree.

Jabber...I understand completely. Been there, too. And I tell you what...my black friend aren't obsessed with talking about whites the way whites are talking about 'the blacks'. I just don't get that part of the culture down here. And what's even more strange is the folks who run down the blacks don't have friends who are blacks, have never been in their homes, have never associated with them and yet they seem to know all about 'the blacks'. I have gotten up and left a room when the topic turned because I don't want to be a part of that ignorance.

Anno...you're right, too. Kids practice what they see, repeat what they hear and learn hate before they realize what it means...it continues all over. So sad

Dotsie...Don't you sometimes want to snatch a parent bald headed for how they talk to their children? It's sad to see and hear.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved