The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#185216 - 06/26/09 02:09 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I will never understand though why when THEY do it to us, it is okay and WE shouldn't complain, God forbid, yet if we even appear to be out of line towards them, even say the wrong thing, OH BROTHER the whining is deafening.

RUDE doesn't come in colors, RUDE IS RUDE!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#185218 - 06/26/09 02:24 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Chatty...you're right....rude is rude and rude doesn't come in colors.

#185291 - 06/27/09 02:52 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
No worries, Anne...she is 8.

#185734 - 07/03/09 01:39 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Ellemm]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Ellman and madaline

rude is just rude regardless of race but as to why ellman said women's race is within the flow of thread....
re-read gimms comment and in content of others in conversations she putting in another example of some people perceptions that some blacks are feeling empowered to point of strange behaviours. Would this women have been that rude before, who knows.....

i wouldn't be so hasty to class gims as racist....re-read that two pages before her comment and whom she answers in conversation then perhaps you change your mind perhaps not. Just a different though as i reading last lot of 6 pages all at once and sometimes its easier to see flow of a thread..

were is gims anyway?

#185735 - 07/03/09 01:53 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: orchid

EW, you....Germans and CHinese at my workpace, would be viewed as cold/cool/distant, direct and stoic. And to receive such treatment in the workplace would be viewed as rude, discriminatory, etc.

Yes, my mother doesn't say excuse me in English. She just doesn't, though we've explained. Now would have any white woman thought something differently if they received her behaviour? Would it be discriminatory or just rude?

Add Scots to that chinis germane list as well....but maybe no so cool or distant, how about friendly but still stoic, straight to point in directness....well nearly the same.

As for your mum i love inter cultural communication and studies of cultures. This might be were its at for going forward and clearing up the mess we make of stuff when we perceive some one as x when their doing what normal in their culture.

look at perceived normal standing positions close or not what normal. Indian cultures intonation at end of sentence going downwards so heer thought as "couldn't care less and rude in giving of a service" nope just cultural.

we gotta learn more then shrug our shoulders and go "well that hows it done here" travels good for showing oddities in own culture and in other culture too...especially funny in own culture as were else but in a forine land do we get to see how strange our culture realism is...

#185736 - 07/03/09 02:05 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: orchid

But then 5 months ago, I remember sitting at business lunch with some university-educated managers from UK...and they mentioned in a disdainful way, the Polish immigrants (and other Eastern Europe workers) dominating certain neighbourhoods. Perhaps someone can speak to this. But this was from the mouths of 2 well-educated UK guys (white).

I was surprised on one hand on the other hand not. These guys were ex-pats. with privileges of comfy salaries and international work assignments who socialized primarily with other ex-pats., not much with the locals. (I asked one of the guys in an indirect way.)

the polish and romaniens are latest of eurepeons to enter contry in a big way so they can be indentified as a particulare group.

at start of this post i said 100 romaniens were living in a church as they were being burned out of an area in Belfast, 25 gone home rest are rehoused.

the middle class guys on bus talk the crap....the not so middle class men go burn this families out their house. theirs the difference in class but i wonder if middle class guy would try it too if he got away with it but anyway it all ends with hate in attitude and then action when feeling strong enough.,..it moves from hatred of one culture to next that arrives in country, then the latter is not so bad after all...sickening process

within NI the hatred is still for their own still most about religion...they by poll hate travellers (gypsies) most and then gays lol and we all meant to be European and being herded into that group when theirs many diffrenses in being European.

i think UK is shutting its immigration policies as tightly as usa have already done

I am leaving NI, I have had enough

#186142 - 07/08/09 02:41 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
"the middle class guys on bus talk the crap....the not so middle class men go burn this families out their house. theirs the difference in class but i wonder if middle class guy would try it too if he got away with it but anyway it all ends with hate in attitude and then action when feeling strong enough.,..it moves from hatred of one culture to next that arrives in country, then the latter is not so bad after all...sickening process"

Amazing that you can put your finger on it, and it is sickening.

When are you moving and what will happen to the support L is receiving now? Can it be picked up with your next move?

#186413 - 07/13/09 10:45 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Class effects as much as race sometimes.

My housing complex has 125 families. Middle to upper-middle class. I'm guessing 5 black families, 7-10 Korean, some Mexican and the rest Caucasian. The adjacent housing tract has a bunch of Chinese and Indian, who aren't in here.

I was speaking to an African American neighbor who said he wouldn't move into a mostly black or Hispanic neighborhood because "everyone wants to know who you know" and he was worried about his kids being exposed to gangs. He said there was LESS prejudice in our slightly mixed community that in 'hoods. Here (his words) people are mostly interested in -- are your kids well-behaved, and do you keep up your house appearance? He said no one has shown racial prejudice since they moved in, but other areas he's lived in have.

Poet and essayist

#186506 - 07/14/09 11:35 PM Re: What would you have said? [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
I am leaving NI, I have had enough

Celtic, is all that hatred of other groups sometimes a manifestation of insecurity of self/ self-hatred also?

Have you always lived in NI, celtic?

#189570 - 09/09/09 01:36 AM Re: What would you have said? [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

goodness dotsie i read that paragraph and though yep i know that situation then i looked again found i written the thing lol.

i think it might be differences between classes two but they all try it if they get away with it. trouble is middle class have more power and more likelie to employ or not employ, report or not report situation within workplaces. thir misuse or just not see the racisum within the situation their dealing with.

i a big believer in education for all of us, because without that we'r kinda lost AND good anti discrimination laws

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved