The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186991 - 07/22/09 10:13 PM parent- me - children sandwich
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm currently visiting my mom and flew my daughter and two granddaughters here. A moment of venting please... we all went to the zoo today. My mom in wheel chair, daughter pushing stroller with one child, the other walking along. My son came too. But sheesh, what a meltdown driving home -- daughter wanting to stop at a particular ice-cream store, Mom saying how ridiculous that is, how out of the way, we're too tired, etc. So, whom should I accommodate?

I told mom how special my duaghter perceived it to be, etc., and did she know any others that fit this particular description, which she didn't. We stopped and she had some too (I don't even eat ice cream). Each one has her perticular way of seeing me. I'm the elephant, and they're the blind men describineg me. Each knows a part, but neither knows me completely. But also, neither can even understand that!

#187002 - 07/23/09 03:56 AM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: ]
DJ Offline

I think we were all tired. I thik she thought my daughter was being unreasonable. I'd said to my daughter it would've been better had she spoken up as we passed the place the first time, but she didn't do that for whatever reason. My mom was a little spoiled by my dad who died a year ago. She still thinks she can get others to be intimidated by her commands, I suppose.

My daughter had been to this place before when in town, in the company of another relative who's a chef and knows the best spots to eat. They make everything from scratch, and use fresh fruit, etc., in the ice cream, so it really was special.

My point is, though, that today I really experienced the whole sandwich thing big time. Demands being made from top and bottom, both of whom seemed to think I was getting some benefit out of doing any of it, while I thought I was trying to make everyone happy, which isn't possible.

#187008 - 07/23/09 07:06 AM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: DJ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
DJ, I sooo understand what you are saying.

It’s hard, very hard. And I don’t really have any answers for you, because I am often in the same sandwich. The only thing I found that seems to crank up the respect is if I make myself rare. If I don’t go after them, feeling it’s time to do something for them,…but instead keep busy with my life, and let them come to me. Then I am able to choose if I have time or not. Often I don’t, because I have been forming my own life, finally. And you know what? I am even beginning to rid myself of those old guilt feelings when I say, ‘I don’t have the time’.

#187044 - 07/23/09 07:09 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, how neat that you are all in your mom's hometown at the same time. I'm sure that took great planning becasue your mom is the only one that llives there, right?

I don't know how generations live together. I'd be a nervous wreck trying to keep peace.

Your post reminded me of when we were raising our kids and my MIL was around. She'd butt in and share her thoughts about what we'd said or done, and I found it most awkward.

Being in the middle is tough.

Have you read The Middle Place? It's a great book about a woman who has a young family, gets cancer, and her dad also gets cancer. They live in different parts of the country and she shares her balancing act. It's a fantastic read.

#187067 - 07/24/09 03:54 AM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

No I haven't read it.
Actually, both brothers, their wives, my sis and her husband, my one nephew and 3 nieces, one of my sons, my uncle and one cousin all live in my hometown where mom is.

Overall it was a great trip. It was a wonderful opportunity. Probably the only time teh great grandkids will get to see Grandma Great, as she calls herself.

It'd be a different story if I didn't live here, most likely.
What I think is intereesting is that I jsut about blew up at my daughter who said something like "Mom likes to be as difficult as possible," or "Mom wants to ..." and I said to her, "You have no idea what it is I want." She seemed to change her attituge after that. It's funny because she complains that my sons don't let her grow up, but it seems that with regard to me, she sometimes gets locked into a remnant of old reactions.

Everyone leaves tomorrow. It's been fun.

#187078 - 07/24/09 01:15 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I knew your sibs were there, but didn't know your son was there too.

Great comment to your daughter. Did you surprise yourself with that response?

No matter how old our kids are, or we are, we often settle back into the same behaviors we were used to when all living under one roof.

#188072 - 08/11/09 01:40 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I grew up in a house with three generations. Everybody got along
fine. My grandmother and father were really mild mannered. Grandpa did his thing. And mom and daddy were working nonstop.
On a farm there's always plenty of work. Guess I answered how
our three age groups lived in harmony.

#188086 - 08/11/09 05:05 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh DJ, how helpful your post was to me. I just came from a week vacation with mom and the sisters...well, three of them. One couldn't come. Mom was a continual delight, but she is someone who has always seen her glass half full. Myself and sisters at times well...let's just say...not so much. All negatives were out of the sight and ears of mom, of course.

I love your statement that you are the elephant and they are THE blind giving a description of you. How so like my time spent with my sisters. We each have different lives yet we "assume" that we know all there is to know about one another, and based on those assumptions, we sometimes make demands on each other that are unreasonable AND unknowing.

While I love them fiercely, I also love my time away from them. LOL! Does that make sense?

You simply cannot please everyone. Maybe God invented holidays so we wouldn't get too much time together! HA!

#188122 - 08/11/09 09:57 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
JJ, I love your candid honesty.

I think your meetings, wearing the same clothes, are such a hoot. Are your sisters as funny as you? hoho...sorry your Highness...what kind of question was that?!

I love my brother dearly too,...but never ever could I live under one roof with him. We would kill each other. We've talked about moving in together when we retire, incase we are both single, but I told him it will only work if he follows my rules. lol

#188123 - 08/11/09 10:04 PM Re: parent- me - children sandwich [Re: Edelweiss3]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I hear ya hun....as long as they treat me like the Queen I am, then we get along just dandy. We could NEVER, EVER, live together...except maybe my baby sister. I swear that girl could get along with Lucifer himself and make him sweet. She is a delight!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved