The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#194081 - 11/17/09 01:53 PM Delaying Mammograms Until 50?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone heard the latest news about mammograms and early detection for cancer?

I'm shocked.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task force, funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality sis the study and published the results this week. The decision was based on the impact of mammography on breast-cancer deaths.

They also reccomended that women between the ages of 50 and 74 have mammograms every two years instead of every year.

They also said they don't urge us to do self-exams since it doesn't seem to significantly reduce the risk of death from breast cancer.

Does this sound ridiculous to you? Don't we all know someone who found a lump during self-examination, then went to the doctor?

Here's a link to learn more:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1939896,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

What do you think?

#194101 - 11/17/09 04:17 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I don't understand this at all...I'm going to continue to getting mine. Who are they to tell us not to do a self-examination? That's silly. I know women who discovered lumps and found they had problems. Don't get this at all.

#194103 - 11/17/09 04:24 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
There is discussion here amongst another group of women...
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=477238#post477238

Self-examination of course should be encouraged.

It is important to look to the rest of the industrialized nations and see how often mammograms are actually done, breast cancer incident rate, etc.

#194104 - 11/17/09 04:36 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm weighing in on this because it is a subject near and dear to my heart.

My mother found her lump doing a self-examination. She got a mammo because of it, and yes, it was breast-cancer. She had the breast removed and that was seven years ago. She continues to be cancer free.

Had she NOT performed the self-examination, she would probably not be here today. It was a very aggressive form of cancer. So, phooey on the person who said, "don't bother." Oh yeah? Tell that to mom.

Continue with your self-examines and mammo's, ladies...it may save your life. After all, it is YOUR life. Do you want someone else making that decision for you? How ridiculous.

Georgia

#194117 - 11/17/09 07:05 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It saddens me that the government money spent on this study could have been better used towards finding a cure for breast cancer.

#194141 - 11/17/09 09:16 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am wondering if all lumps are cancer? Some womens breasts are full of fatty tumors and can be felt easily but are not cancerous, thank God. I just heard a few night s ago they are now saying women under the age of 50 needn't have mammograms and that they do more harm than good. I swear you're dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't...What should we believe?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#194146 - 11/17/09 09:47 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I have 1 breast that is slightly fibrous. confirmed by doctor.

#194305 - 11/20/09 08:02 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: chatty lady]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
I am wondering if all lumps are cancer? Some womens breasts are full of fatty tumors and can be felt easily but are not cancerous, thank God. I just heard a few night s ago they are now saying women under the age of 50 needn't have mammograms and that they do more harm than good. I swear you're dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't...What should we believe?

Who knows what to believe anymore? I'm on both sides of this issue. I like the current recommendations we have all followed, which has saved many lives.

Yet I am also one of those who had several horrifying "Houston we have a problem" episodes, warranting further studies like ultraound and very invasive stereotactic biopsies, one 2 days before my son's wedding. Every time they put in a marker, and this last time I was told that 20 of my 28 pre-cancerous lesions had spontaneously disappeared on their own.

Some Stage I cancer lesions also have been known to disappear without treatment, and some fast-growing lesions are sadly found too late.

As a nurse, I try to keep up with the latest on this subject, and every day this week the story has been changing.

Now, today, the news came out that Pap smears may not be needed annually in many instances.

What the heck is going on???

Edited by Josie (11/20/09 08:04 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#194369 - 11/21/09 09:47 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
That's the problem, one study says one thing; then another study comes out and says the opposite. How do you know what to believe? I don't know what to believe. So I do what's right for me.

#194385 - 11/22/09 09:52 AM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What ticks me off is in the medical journals ALL the experts say that Thermography is far superior to mammograms. It can detect a cancer the size of a head of a pin unlike mammograms. It is non invasive and they use a tool that is gently run around your breast, no smashing and flattrening of your breasts and it measures heat waves somehow. They have the equipment, it is perfected and yet not availabe hardly anywhere so we women can benefit from it. WHY??? Because the equipment is too expensive and apparently these doctors don't think we women aren't worth the cost...Everyone ask your doctors about this tool. There is NO reason to suffer through a mammogram.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved