The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#195253 - 12/06/09 09:54 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Did you sell the condo here?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#195282 - 12/07/09 11:54 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The interesting fact is that the forums are getting more traffic than ever. Women come and read, take what they like and carry on.

I heard from a local friend that she doesn't think she can write like the women here so she just reads.

I also believe that sites attract certain types of people. I love the women who post here, however, some others might think we aren't controversial enough. Controvery is good if you are learning, but sometimes hurt feelings are involved

Do any of you email or private message the gals you miss?

#195300 - 12/07/09 01:51 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
See now, that's what I thought. We're getting MORE traffic than ever and to say one can't come here and have "more diverse opinions" is a very bold statement. Really? You can't? Can you be more specific? What topics in particular have you tried?

I find the women here to hold very stimulating conservations and think they are very diverse in their opinions.

Now if you're talking politics, would you like to referee that particular section? Cause I can guarantee you one thing, it's not pretty and you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

#195310 - 12/07/09 02:59 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I love this forum. I don't always contribute to every discussion
but I post to the subjects, which draw my interests. I don't
sew or cook so great; don't ride bikes or sell houses or run
in marathons. But I post on other interests. Other than chatting with family and friends on Facebook, this is the only site where I post. BWS has new members and women who've been here from the
onset. Not everybody agrees on everything; but all have hearts
of gold! And I love it!

#195348 - 12/07/09 08:28 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Annie, we leased it out for one year and will probably sell it after that.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#195349 - 12/07/09 08:35 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
See now, that's what I thought. We're getting MORE traffic than ever and to say one can't come here and have "more diverse opinions" is a very bold statement. Really? You can't? Can you be more specific? What topics in particular have you tried?

I find the women here to hold very stimulating conservations and think they are very diverse in their opinions.

Now if you're talking politics, would you like to referee that particular section? Cause I can guarantee you one thing, it's not pretty and you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm probably not the best referee for a political section, particularily when I don't follow U.S. politics deeply. But then again, it could be an advantage since an outsider has no stake to take 'sides'. The section is probably better moderated by someone with some formal background in political science and strong knowledge of North American history with international perspective/travelled and lived for a few years outside of their home country. As well, participation would be like a book club, do readings on certain pieces as a starting point.

As for trying out different topics...I will admit on my part, there is self-censorship to a certain degree because of the dynamics of the group here. Do not interpret this as bad. Each person has a core personality..but it translates abit differently with each different social group within society. We show different facets of ourselves or at least certain facets come out more strongly depending which social group we are interacting with. For instance, I am a slightly different person/show different things to:
My partner, my family, my closest friends, work colleagues (I respond a shade differently to those within my profession vs. outside of profession), a group of cyclists, etc.

I even am different, depending on which language I speak. I am much more forceful in Chinese because of language limitations. Whereas ENglish allows me to be complex, nuanced and therefore I will be viewed differently and people will respond to me differently.

It's great that others are reading the forums though they don't post. If that's what is meant by more traffic. Maybe I'm not here so often to see more different women posting, versus us enthusiastic regular posters here.

I am not so sure we're that diverse in terms of participants. THis forum is meant for boomer women, which already is a particularily subsection of society. But still, there's a whole pile out there that probably could use some casual chat here in friendly way. More than ever before, there are alot of forums, blogs on the Internet competing for attention so it might get harder these days to draw new participants unless one seeks out to inform groups of women who don't normally cross Dotsie's path or mainstream media where this site is crosslinked.

Hope my thoughts are intended to help Dotsie,....EXPAND active membership of these forums. There is an enormously huge group of English-language speaking boomer women out there. What would the response be if a group of middle-class/educated immigrant women were shown these forums at a community centre / church? What type of feedback would they give to make them more comfortable here in the forums?

A market survey would be useful one day.

#195360 - 12/07/09 10:32 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: orchid

I'm probably not the best referee for a political section,
Orchid...that was said tongue in cheek...sorry.

As far as taking sides, it would happen. It already has TWICE when we've tried to have the politics in here. If it didn't happen in the open forums, it would happen via private messages.

I still didn't see any different topics that you feel would or could bring the diversity that you crave to the forums.

What does "diverse in terms of participants" mean to you? Backgrounds? Nationalities? Work?

Yes, this form is for boomer women, but I will say that we've never kept other women out of here (unless there was a problem), and we've always welcome the younger set (or anyone else) when they've arrived and stayed to chat. They never stay that long though as they admit up front we don't share the same interest, in a lot of cases.

I get tickled when I read your other responses because you have no idea what all Dotsie does to promote this forum...where all she goes with info about it. How do you know that a market survey hasn't already been done?

#195365 - 12/07/09 11:13 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Several members on this forum own their own business; and that's a time consuming endeavor, especially this time of year. We have
some cool discussions. And I'm happy with the overall configuration!

#195366 - 12/07/09 11:39 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Well, I'm one of the ones with a business....and it does consume us...in a GOOD way!

I come here often times with an issues I need input on. Sometimes I can add to a discussion.but, like Saundra...not much to add re: kids, grands etc. My computer is my life....business, personal, research, and I have another site for which I am an Admin. So I'm thankful when I CAN join in!!

And to talk about my profession and offer sales!

#195386 - 12/08/09 02:36 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
I still didn't see any different topics that you feel would or could bring the diversity that you crave to the forums.

What does "diverse in terms of participants" mean to you? Backgrounds? Nationalities? Work?

Yes, this form is for boomer women, but I will say that we've never kept other women out of here (unless there was a problem), and we've always welcome the younger set (or anyone else) when they've arrived and stayed to chat. They never stay that long though as they admit up front we don't share the same interest, in a lot of cases.

I get tickled when I read your other responses because you have no idea what all Dotsie does to promote this forum...where all she goes with info about it. How do you know that a market survey hasn't already been done?

"Diverse" --all of the above criteria.
Maybe as a suggestion, for Dotsie's blog, since it might be easy there rather than here..to share who she meets when talking up about her biz to promote it. I don't go to the National Assoc. Baby Boomer site, partially because some of it is product /service promotional. Some of it has less relevance ..and I'm unemployed right now. Makes less sense for me to go internationally online, to buy when it's cheaper and more convenient at home here in a big city.

Anyway I shouldn't say any of this? Then perhaps an online market survey on existing posters/interested so that we can respond to survey questions individually. Or maybe it's been done here for the forum members..just not aware.

Just thoughts. Hope I didn't upset anyone here.
It's okay, jawjaw I do go elsewhere for another women-centred forums. It is abit more diverse, more members from around the world, more women of colour...the cultural vibe is abit different elsewhere and easier to join.

But another time to chat on this.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved