The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 72 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#195658 - 12/10/09 07:54 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

The level of interest shown to celebraties.

As a child we stood along the street when Queen Elisabeth visited and waved union flags.I took a class to the Mall when Princess Anne visited maybe 2005 and they dispersed some to buy records and others just to hang out.Older folks did wait and watch.
Scotland was given her Assembly...maybe leading soon to her Parliament being reinstated..That drew the crowds..streets lined with ordinary folks.Whole day coverage on TV
Its a time of change..Politically.
Actors/writers/musicians are all claimed by their home town and there is a known "Jock" Pack not my term..but a few rugged Scots have made good films.When they do well or otherwise reporters come to towns...speak to locals and write a resume..for example..a local High School headmaster was found with nasty computer files this year..
so its written that Dougray Scotts headmaster was jailed..thing is 20 plus years since he was at the school.Usual media headlines.
Celebrity...we can meet and greet authors at book festivals..speak to artists like Jack Venteranio easily..Politicans are known to many of us. its a small Country but rich in interest.

#195669 - 12/10/09 11:21 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Princess Lenora
Good morning. We embrace the concept of diversity: equality and acceptance of different races and cultures, socio-economics, life-styles, such as gay, and religion. That is the theory. October I was invited to do a blog-talk radio interview on a channel that was predominantly African-American women. I was honored to talk about domestic violence to an audience not typical for my talks, yet it is all the human race. However, I won't participate in their forums (other than Facebook) because why? I can't know the situations that have been affected by their collective culture & race.. I don't want to intrude. I've said I went back to college in my forties for social work. In the one "diversity" class students were asked to write about the culture of their origins. You would not believe that the majority of young Americans did not know their ancestry! I am second generation, so got benefit of traditions of Italians, and grew-up stories of immigration and Italian language. The younger generations did not know. They did not care, either. Just saying.

It was probably a compliment to you that the particular Afro-American women's group felt comfortable to invite you speak /participate as a speaker, Princess. It would not be necessarily the same for just any woman with exposure to abuse and coping mechanisms, etc. You are astute enough to recognize the challenge or a different role if you were to participate in such a forum with women who had markedly different experiences through their lens.

As for rolling along in life and not really knowing one's family background or more pertinent, not appreciating nor understanding the context how one's nationality/citizenship/country of residence sits within the global context, as a highly influential on one's own perceptions, upbringing, cultural influences, etc., it's probably a comfortable, if "safe" but limited way of thinking/living. It is felt that one could have gr.6 education but still have a sense of history, even if only past family history and present. At least understanding the linkages of one's own family within the worldview, "roots" a person psychologically (even they knew nothing about politics, cultural influences in their own/adopted country) and gives the person a starting point to explore the world outward for discussion and comparison.

Mountain Ash, the Royal family seems to have alot less interest here in Canada compared to 30 or 50 years ago. Queen Elizabeth II, still has some interest because she has been around so ...long. She has staying power, a kind of respect that anyone would accord to a woman who has somehow 'survived' doings of other family members. (I guess she missed being a boomer woman! :)) Whereas other members of Royal Family, there are varying opinions in Canada. Just 2 weeks ago, we missed without knowing, Prince Charles and Lady Camilla touring the Olympic Athletes' Village. We cycled in the area on our way to the market and didn't know, except there were people strolling in nice clothing in the rain with umbrellas. His visit to Canada this time, didn't generate alot of excitement.

#195681 - 12/11/09 11:54 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

I agree knowing the context of where a person is placed in the big scheme of things..and as pupils we were taught about the Commonweath.then in time how independance came for these countries.We were taught about Africa..Scots have long time been missionaries there..only to learn in later years how our Christian values may have caused long lasting issues.As an adult that is an ongoing process.My mind seeks new facts.

what I am aware of is that things change globaly and just as the industrial revolution drove rapid great change as did the silicon age.We are in a time of change.
Finacially the world is hit...it has happened before...The Darien Scheme for Scotland...1690's Scotland was bankrupt and forced into a Union ..and sure as eggs we dont seem to learn from past mistakes.
Discussion heightens awareness...if people listen to what is being said.Awareness can spread.The political is personal.

#195773 - 12/13/09 02:41 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I didn't learn about the effects of colonization (British Empire) until my first year of university. I chose an elective course on Third World history. Kind of crazy to cram that in 1 course, because that covers huge continents..Africa, Asia and South Pacific where each country has distinctly different histories. Course was taught by a dynamic prof. THere was grad school tutor to handle our seminar groups after lectures. He was the first black I had ever met from ..Jamaica. I was raised in town with hardly any blacks.

Here in Canada there were situations in the aboriginal (First Nations as we call the 'native Indian) where some of the students were punished by the nuns, etc. in school for using their native language.. Over 40-50 years ago or so. So that type of cultural 'colonization'/forced assimilation, was happening in some situations well after Canada became an independent political country from Great Britain.

I didn't realize myself until started university that there were other different people worldwide of Chinese descent outside of North America and China. ie. the Chinese born and raised in the Carribbean, etc. Just even their English patois made them different that what I knew before. I didn't know anything about Malyasia nor Singapore until entering university. Zero. My high school history education was on British history, Canadian history, some American. Knew some of the major New World explorers..or conquerers (in the eyes of the First Nations/native Indians). That's all.

The whole situation of the U.S. civil rights, black slavery. Underground Railway (escape to Canada) most of it I read history books on my own as a teen. Same for Nazi German history..read most of it on my own, as a teen.

The political is personal because all this reading..knowledge helped me understand some blacks I met, my partner, his mother and how events in Germany brought them to Canada. Same for my parents....political is personal..because it can force a person to make major life changes.

#195798 - 12/13/09 09:41 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

Wheras you learn as an adult some of colonlisation facts we Scots had it inbuilt..from an early age.hence the grounded knowledge most Scots have..it best explained through humour...too long to describe here.
Even in music we learned through our national poet Robert Burns..politics...and love..indeed Russians have adopted Burns due to his stance.Folk music nd lyrics tell of emigration..Bothy ballads.(farmlads music and song) tell of the times and importantly how the serfs viewed their "betters".There are many ways of viewing identity...
There are many styles of learning and teaching and for me it is a lifelong process.
The US constitution was in part written by a Scot..an outstanding Miinister who was invited to work at Princeton..his teachings mirrored those known here.
Neil Oliver has recently mde a TV series explaining clearly what Scotland was and is..it has me riveted and his podcasts feature in thi home..we delve and discuss..go places buy books..visit resources..go to Heritage lectures..

That is why the ommision of Scotland even during this discussion causes me to move into lecturer mode..

#195816 - 12/13/09 05:29 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Interesting to hear that Scots have such a good sense of humour.
I love the American humour. I think they are the funniest group by far.
The German humour is so000000000000...... excuse me while I yawn.
The humour is different in different regions. I live in the most boring region...snore...But the funniest Germans, and there are a couple, live in the Rhein region.

#195864 - 12/14/09 06:22 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: orchid]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Quote:
Obviously you been to Algeria, Wisdom?

Sorry it took long for me to respond, I was so busy last week and what time I had left I spent on the "I can't take it anymore" topic. No, I have never been to Algeria. Sakina has been here in the US a few times to see her daughter, my SIL, and the children. This is how I have had the privilege of meeting this woman in person. The translation service has been a wonderful open door in communication.

Mountain Ash, I have always wondered where you were from. I never saw this on your profile and figured you didn't want anyone to know. In respect to your privacy, I never asked. Scotland has always intrigued me. I regret I have never been there, I understand the ocean is phenomenal there too.

Cheers,
Cathi

#196056 - 12/17/09 12:45 AM Re: Wonder why [Re: Mountain Ash]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
"sure as eggs" is a phrase I haven't heard before. EW, when I visited a family in Germany, they loved the American comedy movies, like, "The Wedding Crashers." I was a little surprised that even the nine year old girl was allowed to watch, and she understood the sexual innuendos. She got stuff that went over my head. Just saying.

#196234 - 12/19/09 08:26 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Eagle,
Listen love, you're not the only one in a huge amount of pain.
I hurt so bad sometimes, I can hardly stand it. But BWS has been
a refuge for me and I'm grateful for it. Why not join me and
leak your pain all over the place. The Sisters' will help us
sop it up!

#196248 - 12/19/09 10:50 PM Re: Wonder why [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sure as eggs, leak pain, sop it up, now those are phrases I haven't heard a lot but good advice given to help ease ones discomfort. I think possibly we are all in one form of pain or another, some much more prevalant than others. All any of us can do is share and hope the love and support of our friends helps us get through whatever is wrong. Suffering alone, silently, never helped anyone!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved