The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197582 - 01/12/10 04:13 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hope I didn't sound heartless or lazy and I know you started out
by saying you didn't mean me. But I've been thinking about your
post, Chats, and I supposed I sounded heartless to some of you.
I really am sensative and caring; that's why I was trying to
find a solution to this problem, other than the last resort.
In seaching for answers, it becomes apparent that we've tried
everything every one else here would. So, methinks we're on the
right track. Will let ya'll know how Friday goes.

#197592 - 01/12/10 06:16 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
You didn't sound lazy or heartless. Your dog may just be what is considered a special needs dog. Max was and we are his last chance before being sent off to some kennel to live out his life, fenced away from other dogs.

We take Max to parks where no other dogs are and let him run in a fenced area. We have to let him know it's not okay to even look at small dogs because he really wants to chase them down and kill them, like a rabbit on the track. I have to keep him close to my body with a very short leash. All of these traits were bred into him so there will never be any of it truly going away but we just try to prevent and be aware.

I really hope the experts can give you an answer.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#197877 - 01/14/10 11:30 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: Dianne]
jabber Offline

Thank you queen of shoes; I totally understand an obsession with
shoes.

#197943 - 01/16/10 02:05 AM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Jabber, when I said I didn't mean you I meant it. If I had, I would have said so.

Its just that in my work of volunteering at the shelters I see all kinds of people, some heartless and some just lazy, not wanting to spend one thin dime to get a sick pet healthy. Or when seeing some poor animal left behind when it's owners moved, or one thrown from a car by its owners in the scorching hot desert, left to die. That to me is lazy and heartless. Especially when shelters take in pets no questions asked.

I could go on but its bad enough I have to see the end result of abused animals. I don't want to describe them here, it's too depressing and horrific...

I know you love Zena like a child, and are now, and will continue to do whatever is necessary for the well being of all concerned.
There is a show on TV where they send famed animal psycholigist Victoria Stilwell into your home (on TV) and she works to retrain your pet to behave properly. She is my hero and as good as the dog whisperer. The show is on The Animal Channel. Try googling her and maybe she can be of assistance to you. Hey, its worth a try and they pay you to allow her into your home while training your dog...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#197954 - 01/16/10 02:52 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Xena attended a two hour behavior modification class yesterday.
I'm so glad we decided to try another approach; this trainer
uses a less harsh method of training animals. The 1st trainer, a man, punished bad behavior; this lady rewards good behavior.
We're going to attempt to rehabilitate our lab. This trainer does not believe Xena has unpredictable aggression. She thinks
we've just been using the wrong method and incorrect materials.
There are two types of muzzles; according to her, we were using the wrong one. We were using the wrong collars and each uncomfortable correction, Xena blamed on the other dogs. She did good in class but this morning in the park, she didn't do so good. If need be, we'll have the new trainer drive out here and
walk Xena in the park to show us what we're doing wrong. I instinctively felt the problem was us and not the dog. Thank God we pursued new avenues of help. This trainer does not agree
with Millan or the puppy school we lst used. Since Xena was
getting worse, instead of better, I tend to trust this type training. I'll let you know what happens.

The only way I would have put this gorgeous animal down, was if
she grew unsafe around people and their pets. But she hasn't
harmed one living thing yet; well, the raccoon was a little worse
for wear, but other than that, she's just boxed around a bit.

So there's hope for a new beginning and a milder mannered dog!

Thanks for caring. luv ya, jabber

Edited by jabber (01/16/10 02:58 PM)

#197955 - 01/16/10 03:01 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
I know you didn't mean me! Don't give it a second thought! I've
got lots of stuff coming at me from different angles. Pay me no mind, just laugh it off!

#197986 - 01/17/10 02:22 AM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I did already but wanted you to know staight from me I wasn't critizing you. Use of the proper muzzle, collar and lead is crucial for all our dogs.

Ido want to strongly critize your first so called dog trainer. No trainer worth his/her salt would ever use hurtful dicipline. You REWARD the good only, NEVER punish the less than good...
That only tends to add fear to the problems at hand. Makes me so mad when someone suppose to be a trained professional resorts to amateurish, wrong, and even dangerous methods.

#198001 - 01/17/10 02:39 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
The thing is our 1st "so-called expert" thinks he's the greatest
trainer in the world. He claims Caesar Millan refers customers
to him. But ever notice how Caesar uses harshness, sometimes. Pinch collars and muzzles, not the basket type, are cruel tools. Unexperienced parents believe the info we're paying "experts" to share. Regardless, I like gentle training much better. It's easier on my nerves and Xena is happier; that's the important
thing!

#198054 - 01/18/10 02:56 PM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

When I say unexperienced, it may sound cofusing. True, I've had animals all my life. But Shadow lived to be over age 15 and was extremely mild mannered. She never did a thing wrong. We rescued her when she was 1 1/2 years old. She was so glad to get a home, she'd run, as fast as her legs would carry her, doing figure-eights on the lawn. And she never needed correcting.

Edited by jabber (01/18/10 02:58 PM)

#198098 - 01/19/10 01:21 AM Re: What 2 do...? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I once had a rescue here that was an abused Pit Bull named Prince. He was a handful and a friend of mine said, I have this friend who is an expert with dog bahavior problems. I'll have her call you. She did and I invited her over. She seemed okay at first then with Prince on his lead she gave some command, forget what, he didn't mind her so she slapped him hard on his nose, with his lead. Never knew I could move that fast! I grabbed the lead and told her to get the he// out of my home or I was going to show her how it felt to be slapped with a leather lead. She slinked away and I never saw her again.

It had taken me over a month of kindness to show this shivering petrified of people dog he wasn't going to be hurt and abused ever again and then she slaps him in the face. Grrrr!!!

By the way that was nine years ago and my granddaughter adopted Prince after about six more months with me and she has had him ever since, he adores Emily the new baby and has always been an perfect addition to her home, loving, loyal and what a watchdog, whew!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved