The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206780 - 08/13/10 02:09 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: jabber]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Right! Or, they had a mental health problem to begin with and started
"self-medicating" hoping to find some relief from whatever was going on in the first place. Either way, I think mental health issues and substance abuse (drugs, including alcohol) go hand in hand and I'm not sure you can fix one of them without addressing the other one also. Or the person is set up to relapse because the initial problem is still there.

#206784 - 08/13/10 03:58 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: greene]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
This is probably one of those chicken and egg things as people with addictions do have changes in brain patterns as do those with mental health issues. But it isn't clear from the research whether the changes are a result or the cause of the problems. I know that research from the 70s or 80s showed that children of alcoholics had some of those same brain pattern changes.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#206790 - 08/13/10 06:26 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chicken or egg, nature versus nurture? If parent(s) are hard-wired toward addiction, due to genetics, mental illness, trauma, whatever, will their children be predisposed to be hard-wired toward addiction? It is a challenge to over-come an addiction without addressing the root cause(s).

#206828 - 08/14/10 01:20 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: Princess Lenora]
greene Offline

I was taught that a child of an addict is 4 times more likely to be an addict even if put in a different home at birth. They said this was the basis of the believe that it is, in some cases, a genetically determined glitch. That is why children of alcoholics should avoid any alcohol..

#206838 - 08/14/10 03:17 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: greene]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yes, Greene, there were studies on identical twins put into different homes, and the fact that the biological parent was an addict made the child more likely to also be an addict even if the adoptive parents didn't drink or weren't addicted. Children of addicts have a lot to overcome when it's genetic.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#206853 - 08/15/10 02:09 AM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Interesting.

#206965 - 08/19/10 01:34 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Life throws so many hardships at us, just in general; I can't
see doping yourself up and adding more problems atop of
problems. It just doesn't make any sense.

#206970 - 08/19/10 06:29 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

No one chooses to be an addict..is it not an attempt to escape the reality they are experiencing.
What starts as social drinking can grow for those with an addicive personality.

Life has shown me many ways to enhance my happiness whatever else is going on.For that I am grateful.

#206972 - 08/19/10 08:54 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: Mountain Ash]
greene Offline

Well said, Ash. I even think it may go beyond 'addictive personality' to also include
a physical propensity to addiction. But you are right, no one chooses addiction. Believe me it is too painful when in the grips of active addiction.

#206999 - 08/21/10 01:35 PM Re: Addictive Minds? [Re: greene]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Ash,
I don't think anyone chooses to be an addict, either. I do think people can be victimized to the point that they'll try anything to escape the pain. Then while they're blurring out the hurt, they're stacking problems higher and higher. I do, however, believe, we can choose to be happy and refuse to let the devil grab ahold of us. This is just the result of my own experiences, nothing more! And I don't pretend to know it all. I'm just coming from the root of "the Power of Positive Thinking," which I've been working at for years.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved