The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206912 - 08/17/10 07:06 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Anno I love the story of your Dad standing up for you at school but laying down the law at home. Sounds so much like my Dad at the time.

And Carolyn, I bought all my own clothes. Like you, I saved my allowance, my baby sitting money -- and eventually got a job at a trendy boutique and later at Gimbel's Dept. store, so that I could afford the clothes I wanted to wear. I also sewed just about all of my clothes, as I saw that as a way to get more clothes for my dollar...

That red maxi coat was not only my pride and joy but one of my personal creations. It sure did help keep me warm -- which was imperative since I likely was wearing a mini skirt underneath and Wisconsin winters are brutal!

Edelweiss, your love story rivals the one they made the movie about. My parents told me that they would allow me to date a Black boy if I so chose, but they wanted me to know that society would not look kindly on my actions... I hardly dated in high school, so it was pretty much a moot point for me, but I was glad to know I would have had my parents' support.

Edited by Anne Holmes (08/17/10 07:08 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206936 - 08/17/10 10:45 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All your storys are very entertaining. Me, I wore a plaid
jumper and white cotton blouse and socks everyday for the 8 years I attended Catholic school. In High school I wore either a flared felt Poodle skirt with a cute sweater, bobbie socks and black and white saddle shoes. Sonetimes a slim line skirt and fancy sweater with a little white collar. I ALWAYS wore Levi Jeans after school and on weekends after church. Boy I thought I was so svelte, NOT!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207016 - 08/22/10 01:26 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't remember very much from those days. I can't for the life of me remember what I wore in high school. I think a pair of blue jeans with the wide flared legs was my favourite, but the only reason I know that is because I found the jeans tucked away in the back of my closet when we cleaned out the family home. I remember lots of other things, but not the styles. I can't even remember what I wore to graduation.

But I DO remember wearing bright red corduroy pants to school when I was very young. They were warm and cozy, but oh, how I hated the sound they made when I walked. And I also remember the day I went to school and took my snowsuit off and realized I had forgotten to put any pants on underneath. LOL.

(Maya Angelou)

#207018 - 08/22/10 06:31 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Eagle Heart,

That snow suit episode sounds like the sort of thing I used to have nightmares about having happen to me!

Did you wear your snow pants all day at school - or go home and finish dressing?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207020 - 08/22/10 06:49 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

I had to wear my snowsuit all day! But at least we were able to unzip the jacket and fold it back, so I only had to wear the pants. Good thing it was only kindergarten - I don't remember anyone ever teasing me about it afterward.

(Maya Angelou)

#207030 - 08/23/10 12:52 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Eagle Heart]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I remember some of my clothes from college in the early 70's - I had a suede vest with fringe down to my knees that I really loved. Blouses of thin cotton, semi-sheer, with embroidery and huge full sleeves. Embroidered jeans. Patchwork leather purse. Faux hippie gear (I say 'faux' because I was so not a hippie - no drugs, no tripping, I was a good Catholic girl, boring!). I also drove a bright orange VW Beetle. Loved that car, right up until the moment someone plowed into me and turned it into a half-Beetle.

Carolyn

#207036 - 08/23/10 03:49 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: dejavu]
Mountain Ash Offline

The no pants episode Eagle Heart recalls..many times little girls were missing panties..seems once they started dressing themselves they just forgot..always managed to rustle up some from the stock cupboard..Never the old navy type I recall from my own schooldays..fresh new ones bought as a backup...and of course little accidents meant they were used for "wet" days.,made sure those I bought were unisex...and not frilly for little boys off days.

#207063 - 08/25/10 01:25 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

MA, we did the same thing when I worked in a daycare centre. My co-teacher and I made frequent trips to the used clothing store to pick up play clothes to keep in the room...we had parents who insisted on sending their daughters to daycare with pretty party dresses...and then would get upset when those dresses (and daughters) ended up getting messed up. So as soon as the parents left, we'd change the girls into play clothes, which meant they had a much more fun (and less stressful) day, then would change them back just before their parents arrived. We also bought lots of old men's shirts to use as paint shirts. They were long enough to cover most of the child's body, and the children seemed to love dressing up in "daddy shirts".

As for me, I do remember that I had panties and navy tights on...in today's fashion world, that would now be considered a chic look, LOL!

(Maya Angelou)

#207067 - 08/25/10 01:50 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

I would launder lost property that was from the term before to recycle.The PE staff endevoured to find owners..so eventually came my way .School ties...sweatshirts are universal.
These garments were used on a need basis..staff brought unused underwear from relations also.

Eagle we were doing the same thing in different places.

#207131 - 08/27/10 05:55 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I must admit I seldom reminisce that time period in my life...I was in high school in mid-to late 1970's.

I learned to sew alot of my own clothing..simply because there wasn't enough money from parents for all us kids to be fashionable. Like Anne, I was proud of my creations and my friends knew I sewed my stuff..they saw it as an extension of my natural love of creating things.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved