The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207724 - 09/15/10 02:17 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Songbird]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Another idea for MINISTRY is teaching to read and write. You would be surprised to learn how many people need to learn or improve such basic skills.

Learning to make a budget and stick to it would be great for some, given the trying economic times we live in today.

Teaching English as a second language to friends from other countries is a great ministry too!
NABBW & NAWW

#207726 - 09/15/10 04:51 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Songbird]
Songbird Offline

Donna:
My sister has a Inspirational Card Ministry. She makes her own cards with her own hands and gives to those around her in distress, dealing with illness, loss, discouragement or any other negative situation. She loves to see the smile on the receiver's face when the open it and feel so loved and special.

At times, people ask her to make a special card for a specific situation and they buy it. What she collects from those sporadic sales she gives to help build churches.

She also has her own ministry, helping out college students who lack basic necessities. She regularly makes baskets with lots of goodies including food items, everyday and school items. She only requires of them that once they finish college, the return the good by doing good to another student in need.

I hope one of these ideas helps you.

Edited by Songbird (09/15/10 04:52 PM)
NABBW & NAWW

#207730 - 09/16/10 12:18 AM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Songbird]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Believe it or not, there are women, like me, who've never had kids and STILL don't know "what to do" for the Lord.

We never had kids and will never have grands/great grands etc. Ministering to those who continue to flounder when all we see around us are grandmothers. We cannot relate.

#207743 - 09/16/10 01:48 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

Di, I am not my uterus. The world is not divided into grandmothers and other people. We all have skills and good intentions: those are all that's needed to help others.

I have an idea: I'd like to see something about helping older women seek their place as connectors and mentors. All too often I think we're overlooked as no longer cool and young, but we can do all the things mentioned in this thread and more. Helping to set up a community clearing house to match people with needs might be a great way to help some folks step out.

More: staying up-to-date with electronic media. These are just tools that can be used to do research, connect people, disseminate information.

Taking care of our health. If we learn good habits, we can set an example for everyone around us and still keep moving.

Dotsie had a great idea for relating to your adult children, but it could be expanded to include women our age and our relations to everyone else. We're all going through stages in life and adjusting to them can have a huge effect on our relationships to everyone else.

#207753 - 09/16/10 10:34 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'd say those are some good ideas worth developing, Ellemm.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207832 - 09/19/10 01:58 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I've notice a huge need for residents of nursing homes: they
need visitors. They need a hug now and again. They need to know
others care about them. Many elderly people are put in shelters and then forgotten about. I can't be the only person who thinks
this is a sad situation!

#207865 - 09/20/10 12:49 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO real Christians are targets for evildoers. Christians are
gentle and forgiving; they always try to see the best in people.
The bad guys know this and take advantage of those qualities.
My grandmother said, "Don't get into political or religious discussions; they're really touchy subjects." I suppose I've said that before on here, somewhere. Don't mean to be redundant; but this lady had a lot of common sense. Still, I find myself doing what she told me not to do!

#207871 - 09/20/10 04:02 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: jabber]
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Boomers, I'm taking notes! I do so hope that the Women's Ministry Department will allow me to teach a class on one of these topics. We have a lot of learning under our collective belts (even if we don't wear actual belts any more! wink ).

#207873 - 09/20/10 06:31 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: DonnaJ]
Songbird Offline

-Parenting Classes for Unwed Teen-age Mothers is a good way for "more experienced" women to help others too.

_Also starting a "non christian spouse support group" can help many dealing with the pressure and the ups and downs of such a status. it can be a truly positive outreach and an eye-opener too!
NABBW & NAWW

#207876 - 09/20/10 06:36 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Songbird]
Songbird Offline

Jabber:
I love your idea to visit the elderly in shelters and nursing homes. So many of them are "tossed away and forgotten" .

This weekend we went to visit an elderly lady from church and she was delighted. Didn't want us to leave. They do get lonely and providing them company does them well!
NABBW & NAWW

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved