The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#20899 - 01/18/06 10:22 PM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
cartwheel Offline

Loc: Washington state
This is not a response to the original question but thought I'd ask it here while we're on the subject. I turned 53 last month. Shouldn't I be having some signs of menopause by now? My period is still every 28 days exactly and I am no moodier now than when I was in my 20's, 30's or 40's. I had what I thought was a hot flash a couple of years ago and that's it. Periods do eventually stop don't they?!?! My mom had a hysterectomy in her early 40's so I can't go by her history and my sister was all done with everything by the time she was 54 but it took her like ten years from start to finish! Except for when I was pregnant or nursing I've had these things once a month since I was 11! I'm ready for them to end now!

#20900 - 01/18/06 11:22 PM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
ladybug Offline

Well, all I can say is we're all different in this respect. I've had friends who went through menopause even earlier than I did. You just never know. You probably have had a hot flash every now and again, but heck, if you feel good and you're getting at least a yearly checkup with your gynecologist why worry?

#20901 - 01/19/06 12:17 AM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You are probably in the middle of menopause but not having any problems, not everyone does. As far as the periods they will stop when they are ready to. And yes they do stop never to be heard from again, that is so liberating....My own menopause came and went with nary a hot flash so be happy you might also be one of the lucky ones..

[ January 18, 2006, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20902 - 01/19/06 12:38 AM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
ladybug Offline

In my case as I approached menopause I'd have a period one month then none the next. Sometimes I'd skip two or three months.

Then I went a full year with no period at all and there it was, one last one. That was well over a year ago and no periods since.

I've got to agree with Chatty, not having a period is liberating!

#20903 - 01/20/06 12:18 AM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My menopause was "manufactured" not natural. I had my tubes tied when I was in my 20's after I had 3 children. About 6 years after that I had a hysterectomy to remove my uterus and cervix because of tumors and excessive bleeding. No more periods.

Approximately 10 years later I had my ovaries removed because of tumors again. Instant Menopause. My doctor put me on HRT for maybe a year, but took me off when the stories came out about how bad it was. So, I went "natural" with my treatment using Estroven at first, and now a special combination of ingredients I get from Lifescript.

From the time I had my ovaries removed, a lot of pressure was released from my bladder. I didn't have to go as much. But, I gradually noticed a leakage and a tendency to have to cross my legs when I sneezed. It was really annoying. I was constantly wearing and changing panty liners that I felt like I was having my period again.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with bipolar. It took many different medications before my doctor and I found a combination that has stabilized me. One of those medications has a significant "side effect". It stops urine leakage. I swear! My doctor even told me ... and if it didn't happen to me, I would have been skeptical. But, it did. I no longer have any embarrassing urine leakage. I threw away the panty liners and I can sneeze without looking for the nearest bathroom.

It also has another great "side effect". It stops pain at the nerve endings from reaching the brain. I used to be in constant debilitating pain in my back. Not anymore. Now, it doesn't fix the problem that causes the pain. That's still there. But, it just keeps me from feeling the pain.

Amazing, huh?

#20904 - 01/21/06 08:13 AM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Suzieq, The med is Cymbalta. It works.. It takes a while for it to take affect. It doesn't happen as soon as you start taking the med, but it builds up. THen one day, bam! THe pain is gone. The pee leaks stop.

:-)

#20905 - 01/20/06 11:41 PM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, it's nice to hear about a medicine that has positive side effects. That's great.

#20906 - 01/28/06 09:07 PM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
merryclicker Offline

Loc: Wixom MI
Age alone can affect bladder control. My sisters are both nurses, and they say the Kegel (sp?) exercises are really great for that. They both suggested starting there, just like after having a baby, to tighten up the muscles, and it should help with the bladder control AND maybe improve your sex life.

#20907 - 01/28/06 09:14 PM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
merryclicker Offline

Loc: Wixom MI
I've been going through menopause for 13 years now. Real nice, just a gradual decrease in periods for the first couple of years, then no more. Hot flashes (for me) are gentle warmings that last a couple minutes, then are gone. Only a problem in the summer. No mood swings, no "ditziness" (my mom's symptom!), no massive hot flashes, no drugs. Just there I was, here I am. I liked it!

#20908 - 01/29/06 04:09 AM Re: Menopause & Bladder Control
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am so glad to finally hear that someone else besides me coasted through Menopause in a natural and easy manner. I was beginning to think I was a odd ball or something...

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved