The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#210469 - 01/16/11 04:20 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We've been on two cruises and I way-overpacked for both of them! Didn't wear half of the stuff I brought, even though one was 14 days and the other was 10.

Here's how I would (hopefully) pack for a cruise now. For 7 days:
2 pairs of capris and 3-4 tops to match...I'd probably bring 3 short sleeve cotton tops for shore excursions and one 3/4 length sleeve in case of cooler weather;

1 pair of long pants (but I would actually have 2 pairs because I'd wear a different pair on the plane...that airplane pair of long pants is convertible to capris, so that actually gives me the third pair of capris as well as the 2nd pair of long pants, though they're jean-type and not at all dressy) and 2 tops - one slightly dressier and the other long-sleeve;

good walking shoes - I have to wear orthotics, so always wear sneakers on the plane, and pack a pair of comfortable walking sandals;

for a 7-day cruise, pack one complete outfit for the formal night if you're planning on eating in the dining room. I take a long lightweight black velveteen skirt and 2 dressy tops; add dressy sandals, jewellery, and a pashmini (I also pack a dressy black velveteen sweater) to match.

Because I get cold easily, I also wear one sweater-that-goes-with-everything and a jacket on the plane...my usual travel jacket's lightweight, rainproof and goes with almost everything, and has been indispensible on every trip I've brought it on.

[Sidestory about the jacket - in Morocco, there were about 25 people in our group, trying to weave our way through the narrow cobblestone streets of a very crowded medina (a marketplace labrynth!). Our tour leader led at the front, but the people in the back could never see him in all the crowds (people and donkeys!). So I ended up sticking myself in the middle of the group, and held my yellow-coated arm and umbrella in the air for the entire morning's tour. The people in the back constantly remarked how grateful they were for that bright yellow jacket.]

I would also include a shorter skirt, again for shore excursions/shopping, but I rarely ever wear them, I usually just wear capris.

And don't forget at least one bathing suit and cover-up (to get from the room to the pool). And sunscreen.

(Maya Angelou)

#210474 - 01/17/11 03:25 AM Re: Your Choices [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Ann, with regard to packing for a cruise:

First of all, congratulations and I know you will enjoy yourself. I think it would be my dream to live on a cruise ship for a year - maybe take an around the world cruise. I LOVE cruise travel!

Second, the separates are a good idea, and Yonuh is smart to suggest that...

Depending on what line you're taking, you may or may not need to dress up a bit for dinner. The first cruise we took, people seemed to dress up a bit for dinner, the rest of them, they didn't.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210484 - 01/17/11 02:24 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Ann, I may have gone a bit overboard (no pun intended) on my suggestions...I may have been mentally packing my own bag for our next trip, whenever that might be. I hope you have a great time! What islands are you visiting?

(Maya Angelou)

#210496 - 01/17/11 10:45 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Eagle Heart]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
A bit overboard......ha ha!! Funny! We're going to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Isle of Roatan. I've never been to any of them. Have any of you gals? This is my first time on Carnival cruise line. I've done 2 cruises to the Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. For us, it's only an hour drive to Port Canaveral, and we depart from there.
As for the packing, I was stressing yesterday, but I'm over it. Talked to several of my friends -- some of whom are world travelers -- and the majority of them say they always end up overpacking too. It made me feel better. I was feeling disorganized (which I hate!) and like I ought to be able to get it together better than this. Went thru my bag one more time this morning and deleted a couple of pieces. Went over what I have to wear during the days and what I can wear to dinner. That's it, I'm not stressing over it anymore.
I always do seperates. Almost everything in my bag can be worn with everything else. I think the problem stems from the fact that I just own too much stuff and I pick out too much of it that I want to take with me!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved