The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#209492 - 12/08/10 02:07 PM Counseling . . . again
MustangGal
Unregistered

OK, I've had it. I can't take it anymore. It hurts.

The past involving child sexual assault, military sexual trauma, domestic violence, workplace bullying, and family drama, has taken its toll and I'm tired of it.

So, I was able to receive a scholarship for $10 per session (rather $80) for a 50 minute session weekly for about 12 weeks. I need a sounding board. The stress of the above compounded with being unemployed is painful, mentally.

I think its ok to admit this.

#209509 - 12/08/10 06:30 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Mustang,

Bravo for you!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting you need a sounding board and getting help.

And, if the first counselor doesn't offer the help you need, try another one. I know from talking with friends and family members who have successfully worked with a counselor that there needs to be a relationship built between the counselor and the person consulting with them in order for the work to be beneficial...

For example, my mother was sexually abused by one of her parents and eventually sought counseling as an adult. Her first counselor told her that since the guilty parent was now dead and couldn't hurt her any more, that she ought to be fine now...

Of course, we all know that's not true!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209563 - 12/11/10 01:30 AM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Let us know Mustang how you fare with counselling. I hope you like your counsellor.

#210150 - 01/07/11 03:09 AM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Besides Mustang there is no reason not to get counseling if you feel it is needed and it helps. Good for you!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#210168 - 01/07/11 06:31 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Well, its going OK. I am realizing a few things. Yet, she has forgotten a few things and last week she forgot to show up!

#210184 - 01/08/11 11:37 AM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, didn't she phone you? That's hard to believe. Glad to hear it's going okay. I'm glad you chose to talk with soemone about your past issues. Unemployment alone is enough to send one running to a counselor. I actually heard that unemployment is down.

#210187 - 01/08/11 12:13 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
MG, I'm a firm believer in the benefits of counselling, and wouldn't hesitate to go if/when I need a sounding board to help me sort out all the mess and chatter going on in my head 24/7. I've been seeing therapists off and on for about 20 years now, and have seen a few doozies in that time, but never had one forget my appointment (here, psychologists aren't covered under our universal health care, so if the therapist doesn't show up, they lose ~$150 for that hour!) I can'be believe she didn't even phone you!

I agree with Anne, if this one doesn't meet your needs or provide a safe caring environment for you, find another one! I've had to do that on occasion. I detest having to do it, but I know now who clicks and who doesn't...and if there's no "click", it's probably not going to be all that it can be for you.

My last therapist was/is wonderful, and I suspect I'll go back to her again when the need arises, though her prices are out of my budget range, so I can only go for a few sessions at a time.

Anyway, I hope this one does help you. I always appreciate the insights and the morale boosting that therapy provides.

(Maya Angelou)

#210229 - 01/09/11 07:39 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Mustang,
That situation of not showing up, doesn't sound promising. It sounds as if she/he needs a lesson in rising to the level of meeting one's responsibilities. But I hope the sessions help you
tremendously. Good luck and blessings in all you do!

#210232 - 01/09/11 09:29 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: jabber]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Perhaps the not showing up was a onetime slip and she is, in fact, the counselor for you. I must admit it would really put me off of her. Trust is so important in the counselor/client relationship and that would have really cut my ability to trust her, at least for awhile. Whatever develops just keep in mind it is your needs that are most important and, if it isn't right, don't be shy about shopping around for the right person, It is too important, and expensive, a thing to just settle. Counselors helped save my life during a rough time, I hope you find the same support that I was able to find.

#216841 - 04/01/12 02:15 PM Re: Counseling . . . again [Re: ]
chanteuz Offline

Loc: Kansas City, USA
Hi! I'm a psychotherapist and I had an incident where my mother-in-law died suddenly. I made every effort to contact all my clients immediately, but could not leave a message or reach one of them---mailbox full or not set up, email changed. I had to leave a note on the door of my office. It's an awful situation for a therapist, but it does happen! Please give your counselor another chance as it may have been an emergency for him/her.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved