The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 77 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210192 - 01/08/11 03:40 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Dotsie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Here in Tucson, it's a huge thrift store. They always have so much stuff it takes a couple of hours just to go through the clothes. But the clothes are arranged by color within the sizes so it's easy to find what you're looking for if you know what you want. I never know exactly what I want, but I appreciate the color groupings because I know what colors work for me and which ones don't.

There are also a couple of consignment stores here that have high end labels but very inexpensive. One of them has a room where everything is $10 or less, which is mostly where I look unless I'm looking for something specific that's not in there. I once picked up a cream silk Yves St Laurent pantsuit for $5. Can't beat those prices!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#210194 - 01/08/11 03:51 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Yonuh, it's been such a long time since I've had a long stretch of time to go browsing through our nearby thrift store! We're retired, but there still aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to! You've inspired me to get hubby to drop me off (still can't drive yet due to the surgery) for a couple of hours next week.

(Maya Angelou)

#210195 - 01/08/11 03:58 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, that seems like such a smart way to build a wardrobe. It reminds me of two of the women on one of the bus tours we were on a few years ago. They only brought 2-3 pairs of black slacks, and several tops to suit various occasions and climates. They always looked so well-put-together. I've been trying to add some light-weight travel pieces to my wardrobe so I can pack the same way. I've always liked variety in colours and styles, but that doesn't translate well into packing co-ordinated outfits in such a way as to keep the suitcase within the ever-restrictive weight allowances these days.

(Maya Angelou)

#210196 - 01/08/11 04:11 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

I trimmed my wardrobe from smart teaching clothes to my lifestyle now wardrobe..have not got it spot on..always looking for smart casual.
can rise to the occassion with smart coat handbag and accesories..dont wear jeans so well cut black trousers are what I look for...long tunics sweathers and scarves...and more scarves.luckily I have a knitter in the family and a hatbox full of shades.I also like hats...berets with felted flowers and cloche hats.

#210201 - 01/08/11 08:55 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I used to be such a clothes horse. And every outfit had its own paid of shoes.

I'll never forget going on a week-long business trip to DC with the (unrealized) potential of meeting the President - and the actual experience of meeting with several Senators and Congressmen in their offices.

I ended up with three bags as I recall, mostly filled with skirted suits each with enhancing accessories and matching shoes. I specifically recall that in addition to a black suit, there was a pink suit, a light blue one, a purple one, a red one, etc. Probably 10 outfits in all. And each outfit had earrings, necklaces, and etc.

As you might expect, traveling with such a wardrobe meant that I had to have help from some of the others on the trip to haul it all through the airport. (Actually I could have done it myself, but I was slowing the men down...and yes, the others in the group were 5 men, each with one bag apiece.)

These days I am SO pared down.
Like Mountain Ash I don't wear jeans, but choose black slacks most of the time. Though I do have a pair of purple cords that I love, and wear often in the winter. (Hey, it's not going to get warmer than 20 degrees here today!)

Also I love to wear colorful tops. Mostly warm turtleneck sweaters enhanced with scarves during these winter months.

I buy pieces I can wear for years - and I can travel lightly, 2 pairs of black slacks and a selection of sweaters and scarves. No jewelry other than my rings.

The new me is so much easier. But the old me had studied fashion design in college -- and loved to be perfectly turned out at all times.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210210 - 01/09/11 01:16 AM Re: Your Choices [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

I also have a uniform style of dressing: mostly black pants with black or more colorful tops. I have a little bit of brown and gray, but not much. This is deliberate: I can pretty much grab some slacks and a top almost without looking and they will go together. I am really liking longer, lightweight cardigans now. Add a piece of jewelry or a scarf and I'm done. I also wear silver jewelry with a few color variations -- and some pearls. In fact, most of my earrings are hoops. Simple, simple, simple.

Some may call it lazy but I just want to look decent without much effort.

#210267 - 01/10/11 11:58 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: Ellemm]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I've always loved fashion while maintaining my own style. However, if I don't like it, I don't wear it, no matter how trendy it is.

My staple is black stretch knit pants, barely more than leggings in warmer months and a little heavier in winter. That way I can wear all my colorful tops and sweaters. Also ethnic pattern pants with full legs and elastic waist. Summer it's colorful shorts with bright tops.

I love hats! Crocheted hats in every color (that I wear). Head wrap scarves in summer (like my avatar pic.) Lots of jewelry -- surprise! I often decide on jewelry first, and then choose an outfit to match.

When I travel, I color-coordinate with no more than 2 color schemes per week to minimize luggage.

Since my early 30s, I placed a premium on comfort -- so no heels and no jeans.

In 2010, my big fashion changes were:
1. Leggings. Love, love, love! I bought 2 pair in black: 1 lacy and 1 with rivets, so I can still wear my little skirts in summer.
2. Boots. I recently bought a pair of knee high gray suede-look with large buckles. I was getting tired of gym shoes all the time. I wear these all day at the market (with thick socks) and they're as comfortable as gym shoes.

Poet and essayist

#210271 - 01/11/11 01:29 AM Re: Your Choices [Re: meredithbead]
yonuh Offline

Meredith, I thought I was the only one who picked out the jewelry first. smile

#210463 - 01/16/11 03:14 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: yonuh]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I spend a lot of days in my gym clothes. Head to the gym first thing in the morning and sometimes go shopping or run errands on my way home. So my usual uniform is black yoga pants (sometimes dark gray or navy) An assortment of bright colored workout tops go over these and I have every style and type of hoodie imaginable (lightweight sleeveless, medium weight short-sleeved, heavier long-sleeved, for whatever weather) so I can throw that on over the top and run into the grocery store without feeling naked. Sneakers (right now I'm into Reebok Simply Tones. Will let you know if I ever get a tight butt from walking in them!)
If I'm doing something else -- meeting gal pals for lunch or doing something fun with friends -- it's usually jeans (or shorts, I prefer longer ones) or capri's, matched up with a top of some sort. If we're going to a restaurant I usually bring a matching jacket or sweater.
I am a clothes horse! I love to shop! Purses, shoes, watches are all big weaknesses. But I'm with Meredith -- if it's not comfortable, I don't wear it. If I don't like it, I don't wear it.
Like Anne I remember traveling to meetings in Washington DC or conventions in other parts of the country and how I dreaded packing for them. Pantyhose. Slips. The right shoes for every outfit. The right bra. Accessories. It would take me an entire day to get things lined up for a week's trip. We don't travel like that anymore. Most trips these days are fishing tournaments. All I worry about is the weather and make sure I have jeans, sweatshirts,raingear.

Since we're on this topic...........does anybody have any really helpful hints on packing for a cruise? I'm going on a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean. I've looked at the packing hints and tips online, and have already done most of their suggestions. No matter what I do it seems like I have way too much stuff picked out. I'm really trying to keep it down, but it seems impossible, and I'm getting stressed out........and cruises are supposed to be fun!! HELP!!

#210464 - 01/16/11 03:52 PM Re: Your Choices [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
yonuh Offline

I think going with separates you can mix and match would be good. I don't know how long the cruise is or if there will be any need for formal attire. 3 or 4 tops and 3 or 4 bottoms that are interchangeable will give you at least 9 outfits. If there is a formal, then black pants or long skirt with a sparkly top is probably fine. And the pants or skirt could be part of the other options, too. I've never been on a cruise, but I love separates as it gives me more options.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved