The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#210452 - 01/15/11 05:15 PM What do I do...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Can anyone here tell me how I keep curl in fine, straight hair.
I get a perm every 4 months. But it doesn't last. In a couple
months, I'm curlin' my hair on a daily basis, just so it looks
halfway decent. What say you? crazy

#210457 - 01/15/11 11:33 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't have any ideas, jabber, sorry. I can empathize with you; I have fine, thin hair, but it's wavy. If I use hair gel, I can get it to look like it's curly, but by the end of the day it's back to looking straight. I do know that a good haircut can make all the difference in the world. I've been going to the same stylist for more than 15 years, so she really knows my hair; and she has fine hair, too. She knows what will work and what won't as far as style and cut. I love her because she can make my hair look fabulous! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#210460 - 01/16/11 02:32 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

I watched a video by a gal with fine hair. She used a flat iron;
hair clips, a rat-tail comb, heat-resistent gel, mousse, and
velcro rollers. I haven't used rollers in years. Generally
I let it dry and use a curling iron. Oh, I use mousse, thickening gel, etc., etc. But it doesn't hold a curl.

Edited by jabber (01/16/11 02:32 PM)

#210467 - 01/16/11 04:07 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: jabber]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
When I was younger (like yesterday...LOL)...I used Neutrogina shampoo and conditioner...but, like you, I get a perm 2-3 times a year for the same reasons...and I don't have any answers anymore, either. We're doomed to perms that will only last for so long and then the curling iron. Bad for the hair, I know, but I cannot stand straight, flat hair...if anyone has the magic answer I don't know who they are. Good luck!

#210472 - 01/16/11 06:07 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: Dee]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have found a line of shampoos and conditioners that I love. It's called Desert Essence, and has a whole line of body and hair care. I use the Green Apple and Ginger shampoo and conditioner. It's supposed to be volumizing for fine hair. I have to say I love the stuff, and it does make my hair feel and look thicker. It's organic and doesn't contain any of the nasty chemicals in other shampoos. I only need a dime-sized portion for it to lather up like you wouldn't believe, so it lasts a long, long, time. My friend who is also my stylist couldn't believe how little was needed! There are other flavors, like Red Grape, Red Raspberry, too. I normally don't endorse any product, but this one is fantastic. I tried a couple of the other 'flavors' but didn't like them as much as the green apple.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#210473 - 01/17/11 02:14 AM Re: What do I do...? [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I doubt you can keep the curl in naturally straight/fine hair.

May I suggest that you find a hairdresser who knows how to cut YOUR kind of hair. Recently I found one who, once she wets my hair, looks it over and see the natural wave (or no wave).then cuts it according to what SHE says is best.

If a hairdresser asks you want YOU "what do you want to do w/your hair", run the other way. They should tell YOU what is best and they are (should be) the artist here.

Note: I've not gotten my hair cut since August and it STILL looks great even as it grows out. That is a sign of an excellent cut!

Note 2 about conditioners: They do the same thing as fabric softeners: coat the hair/fibers with wax which stops friction that causes static. Stay away from conditioners if you want fluffy hair!

Oh, and mousse and thickening gel only dry your hair out. Use your shea butter (the day BEFORE you shampoo) to moisturize it. Then shampoo as needed.

Edited by Di (01/17/11 02:16 AM)

#210479 - 01/17/11 01:38 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Thank you for the excellect suggestions. I'll try what you've said.
I was using Chi and all the various products by Chi, but I still
don't like how looks. I've had my hairdresser for 20 years; she's
a friend and I believe in being loyal. But I do wish my hair could keep a longer lasting curl. I'll try the Shea Butter the day before shampooing, Di, and see how that goes. And I'll see if
I can find "Desert Essence," yonuh and give that a try.

Edited by jabber (01/17/11 01:40 PM)

#210495 - 01/17/11 10:20 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: jabber]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Jabber, I have an EXCELLENT hairstylist here in HSV, worth the drive. He is at Salon Beaujolie in the Publix shopping center at Whitesburg and Airport, and his name is Diamond Horn. He listens, works with you, does french cutting (a wonder in itself!) and won't do anything you are uncomfortable with. They do the hair for all the folks at WAAY. They really do a good job there, and Diamond is of our ages and wont do anything untoward. I can't recommend him enough. We have a friend that relocated to FL. that comes up here once a month to see everyone and have him do her cut. I have many friends that use him, and I am so glad they told me to go to him. I actually have hair I am proud of now (if only I can keep on top of the roots and such- and God bless his heart, Diamond recommended a glaze- it gets my natural color back and shine, and works really well- doesn't last long but worth the monthly aspect when I have the cut done...short hair takes a monthly dose of doing...) . If you are willing to travel into HSV, you will like this man- plus he is meticulous and pleasant, and when you get to know him, he's a true pleasure to chat with for sure. You and he would hit it off famously!

#210501 - 01/18/11 01:09 AM Re: What do I do...? [Re: judym]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have lived here in Vegas since 1970 off and on, mostly on. I have tried hairstylists from the La-De-Da shops and paid a fortune as much as $75.00 for a wash and cut. It was awful! I think I have tried most of the shops in town and the BEST haircut I ever got, are you sitting down???? It was late one evening, I was shopping WalMart and saw a rather large woman/man in a black smock, (never figured it out) and he/she was doing a cut on someone. I liked what I saw and so he/she cut my hair...I wanted to cry and couldn't thank her/him enough, my hair looked absolutely gorgeous and it lasted for weeks too.

The cut cost I think it was $8.00 and I left a $10.00 tip. I got a business card and the name on it was Pat, so I still didn't know, and couldn't ask if it was a man or woman!!!! When I went back several months later asking for Pat's schedule they said Pat had quit and no one knew anything they could tell me. SO, I am right back to lousy haircuts. The girl doing my hair now said she knew of Pat and she was a woman and she was an alcholic who couldn't hold a job. Just my luck!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#210524 - 01/19/11 03:00 PM Re: What do I do...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

judym,
I had to google HSV to see that it's Huntsville Airport. Don't
get to AL much. But if I ever do, I just might look up that hairstylist.

Chatty,
Might even try Walmart; I'm willing to try anything. When my hair gets like this, it's very annoying.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved