The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#208200 - 10/05/10 10:49 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
1968 grad, Chicago. We had to wear skirts that touched mid-knee, and weren't allowed to wear boots -- so I remember too many snow blizzards where the girls had to remove their pants and snow boots outside the high school's front door. Snow blizzards, howling winds, and brutal cold -- and we had to change outside! Ugh.

I broke rules because they were arbitrary, and no one could ever explain to me why these rules existed. I demanded logic; instead, I was given lectures on, "Why is a smart girl like you breaking all the rules?" And my answer always was, "Because I AM a smart girl, and these rules are illogical."

So I was in detention hall an average of 3 days a week, with the girls who smoked in the bathroom and the boys who were flunking out. I regarded it as a small inconvenience to pay for my principles, and extra time to work on my math equations.

Poet and essayist

#208201 - 10/05/10 11:08 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
one of the girls in detention hall taught me how to roll my skirts up at the waist, and when we saw certain teachers (the ones who were gung-ho on dress code rules) just pull it down fast. Or wear giant clip-on earrings (also against school rules) and pull those off fast too.

I kept a chart of my outfits, and never wore the same one twice within 6 months. All different colors, and I'd mix-n-match and change it up with accessories. I was quite the clothes horse.

My favorite item of clothing was for after-school only -- knee-high, rust suede boots with fringe. My first year of college, I saved up for months to buy knee-high, lace-up purple suede platform boots which I saw at Bonwit Tellers in downtown Chicago. Unfortunately, my feet grew and these no longer fit, but I still have them in back of my closet. I loved those boots.

Anne, I would've loved that red coat too!

Poet and essayist

#210658 - 01/25/11 10:12 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: dejavu]
westcoaster Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
I graduated in 1968, and remember boys wearing Jade East after shave, and girls with hair "falls" which clipped into your pulled back hair. I made my own dresses and loved to have coordinating jewellery, plastic necklaces and bangles, and shoes ordered from the Sears Catalog. I also remember black eyeliner and pale beige or whitish lipstick.

#210666 - 01/26/11 01:38 AM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: westcoaster]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
OMG! Westcoaster you sound just like us in our highschool. I look back at photos now when I was young and am shocked I went out lookinhg like some kind of ghoul, pretty, but goulishy just the same. White lipsick...BLAH!!!!

#210771 - 01/29/11 02:44 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
These postings are such fun to read. I was in detention a lot,
too, Divine. But I was one of the girls that smoked in school;
a bit of a rebel, I was back then. Life slapped that out of me!

I forgot to say I met my 1st husband, the first day of high
school. Shouldn't have taken Business Law, I guess. The next
eighteen years of life, went South by Southeast; it's out there
in the ocean somewhere. LOL...

White lipstick isn't any worse than the black fingernail polish they use nowadays. IM humble O...

Edited by jabber (01/29/11 06:50 PM)

#210802 - 01/31/11 05:21 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: jabber]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
I was a "goody two shoes" in high school. Very unpopular, while the others dated, etc. I waited for the bell to ring so I could go out to a friends place and ride horses. We thought of ourselves as 'above it all', in retrospect I wonder if we would have thought the same thing if we were accepted by the 'in crowd'.

#210808 - 01/31/11 08:19 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: greene]
jabber Offline

The high school I attended had an "in-crowd" too, greene. Needless to say, back in those days, living on a farm wasn't
the in-thing! I'd fit right in, nowadays. Most everybody wants to be country, it seems.

#210818 - 02/01/11 06:27 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
You're so right about the "farm living" thing, Jabber! Despite living in Wisconsin's capital city, Madison, which is a very cultured place, I've learned over the years that most Easterners apparently think anything west of the Hudson River is part of the "wild west."

Even so, back where I was, about the rudest thing some of my friends could think to call someone during our high school days, was, "farmer!" As in, "he's such a farmer," which implied that one was a stupid clod.

Of course, in high school and college, I did get out to the farms of some of my parent's friends. And I was always amazed at the sophistication of these people's lives. THEY had on-premises access to in-ground swimming pools with poolside changing cabanas, that were essentially guest-houses. While I had to leave home and either go to the Y or the country club to swim...

But once I got to college, I had a number of sorority sisters who had grown up on farms. I shortly discovered they were just as cultured - and just as well-dressed -- as the city girls.

Besides which, I used to envy them the fact that whenever they needed money, they'd just call home and tell their parents to sell another one of their cows from their own personal dairy herds...

Me, I was working 10-20 hours a week for slightly over minimum wage ($1.65/hour if memory serves) in a department store, and only took home a hundred dollars a month, if that.

Of course, I didn't take into account the overhead costs in raising the cattle - I just saw the big payout - and drooled! LOL!

And you're right -- these days, people WANT to live in the country.

Edited by Anne Holmes (02/01/11 06:28 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210829 - 02/02/11 02:57 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I just wish I had had more appreciation for what I had, when I had it. Now I look back and thank God for all I was given. When I was young, I took too much granted. These days, I'm grateful for every moment.

#210833 - 02/02/11 06:06 PM Re: High school in the late 60's, early 70's [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'm a huge believer in the power of gratitude.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved