The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211147 - 02/19/11 07:38 PM Qualifying to be a senior
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Since I have a slight cold and tomorrow evening it will be cold since our high rise building will be have a new backup generator installed, there will be no heat, electricity in common areas, no hot water, no working elevators, nor reliable phone service nor Internet...I'm booking 1 hotel for the night.

I found out I qualified for a senior's discount hotel rate. Their definition was over 50. (I'm 52.)

Fine, I'm getting a discount but I have to say it took me by surprise when she asked how old I was. crazy

#211148 - 02/19/11 07:45 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Orchid, I know how you feel...the first time anyone gave me a senior discount I was unsure how to respond...

It was at a new restaurant in town: Steve and I checked it out with a friend, and when the checks came, they'd given me a senior discount -- and no one else at the table got one.

Now I admit to technically being the oldest one in the group -- but we are all in our 50's...

I was shocked, but then realized that I was about to go get new color in my hair, and I WAS the grayest one in the group.
So after pointing it out to everyone at the table -- and enjoying a laugh -- I decided to simply enjoy the fact that I got an unexpected discount on my meal.

Interestingly enough, this place hasn't given me the senior discount since -- and I sorta feel gypped!! I might even ask for it -- next time smile

Edited by Anne Holmes (02/19/11 07:47 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211149 - 02/19/11 07:49 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
And one last note, Orchid -- I'm glad you're spending the night in a hotel and staying warm. I find it very hard to sleep when I am cold.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211151 - 02/19/11 08:27 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yes, I must agree Orchid. The situation sounds like a dangerous one and the hotel makes perfect sense.

Anne one tnhing about being a senior is getting discounts. We have earned them and when none is offered I ask for mine. They add up after awhile.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#211185 - 02/21/11 01:32 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I went to breakfast yesterday with my girlfriend and ordered the "senior French toast." LOL

#211220 - 02/22/11 01:46 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: Louisa]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO there are only 2 benefits to getting older: no more monthly
enemies, they call friends; and the discounts. The first few
times, it is a shock.

#211226 - 02/22/11 07:52 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

I actually hadn't stopped to think about senior discounts much before this, but I think it's a little odd that we get a break just because we are a few years older. I take up the same space and use the same resources in restaurants and theaters. I realize it's a marketing tool and of course seniors on fixed incomes can really use the break, but so could an a lot of other people. As it is, both the wealthy seniors and the poor ones get the same discounts.

I think there are plenty of benefits to getting older that don't involve money. One of the biggest is maturity: you learn not to sweat the small stuff, stop treating everything like it's a crisis, and learn to appreciate what you have for the day. You learn that the trends all cycle around. They come, they go, no need to invest too much in the latest fad.

And speaking of maturity, I'd rather seniors get treated with more respect and viewed as valuable resources because of our experience than get coupons because our hair is gray. But, of course we live in a youth culture. I'm sure we were just as dismissive of our elders when we were younger.

#211231 - 02/23/11 04:51 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I agree getting older, learns a person not to sweat the small stuff; teaches us to appreciate each day; and finds us wishing we hadn't been so dismissive to elders, back in our younger days. But I do imagine every penny off, helps those on fixed incomes.

Edited by jabber (02/24/11 02:16 PM)

#212420 - 04/28/11 09:29 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: jabber]
Rose Offline

Loc: Georgia
Jabber, what is IMO?
Rose

#212421 - 04/28/11 09:31 PM Re: Qualifying to be a senior [Re: jabber]
Rose Offline

Loc: Georgia
I call senior discounts "perks" and I love getting it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved